Best resort day pass in Kauai , Kona or Hilo

JohnHall1965

Hello the wife and I are taking a 15 Day Hawaiian Cruise for our 25th Wedding Anniversary. We have our Plans for the days we spend in Maui and Honolulu , now our next priority is to find a nice resort that offers a day pass in either Kauai , Kona or Hilo . All inclusive with drinks and a meal would be nice but not a deal breaker , we would like to have access to a nice beach to just relax for a day . Any Suggestions ? Thanks in advance

Hi John,

Just a note that Hawaii doesn't have all inclusive resorts, although there are nice resorts where you can go and use the beach (all beaches are public) and buy food and drinks from their bars and restaurants.

A few resorts rent loungers and umbrellas or cabanas ...hopefully others here can tell you which ones on Kauai and the west side of the Big Island do (Hilo doesn't resorts...the nice beaches are on the west side of the island - mainly on the S. Kohala Coast.)

Day passes for resorts (for pool use) are rare as far as I know, although the Hilton at Waikoloa Beach Resort (on the Island of Hawaii) might be an option. On Kauai, if the Sheraton in Poipu rents loungers & umbrellas or cabanas, it would be a nice beach to spend the day or part of it.

As Susan-M said, unlike Mexico, Hawaii is not known for all-inclusive resorts. The Hilton mentioned in Waikoloa is indeed a nice resort, great pool areas and loungers, lots of food options, you can also watch the dolphins training. Not sure if you can arrange a day pass, you would have to check with the resort. Waikoloa is about a half hour car ride north of Kona, usually always sunny and warm on that side of the island

In Kauai, there is a Marriott resort that is only a few minutes walk from where the ship docks. It is fronted by a very nice beach that is open to the public, however the Marriott loungers are for guests only and they are strict about it. There are several good places to eat, both in and adjacent to the resort.

Most of the beach resorts up the Kona Coast have a public beach access point next door. That is where you must go. The parking lots for the public access are small and first-come.

The best with most parking I think would be Hapuna Beach State Park. It shares the beach with the Hapuna Prince hotel. Great beach, great bodysurfing. Next would be the access point at Waikoloa (where the Marriott and Hilton are). Last would be the access point up at the Mauna Kea - very few parking spots(maybe 50) and they fill up by 8am. My perspective is from staying at the hotels, not a public user.

Hello the wife and I are taking a 15 Day Hawaiian Cruise for our 25th Wedding Anniversary. We have our Plans for the days we spend in Maui and Honolulu , now our next priority is to find a nice resort that offers a day pass in either Kauai , Kona or Hilo . All inclusive with drinks and a meal would be nice but not a deal breaker , we would like to have access to a nice beach to just relax for a day . Any Suggestions ? Thanks in advance

You have made us curious as to why you want to sail all the way to Hawaii and then only want to spend a day at a beach instead exploring Kauai or the Big Island? There are good beaches all over the U.S., but there is only one Kauai and one Big Island.

Edited by Silver Sweethearts

• 2 months later...
You have made us curious as to why you want to sail all the way to Hawaii and then only want to spend a day at a beach instead exploring Kauai or the Big Island? There are good beaches all over the U.S., but there is only one Kauai and one Big Island.

what do you suggest other than the beaches?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

what do you suggest other than the beaches?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Depends on what you are interested in, and when you are going to be there.

Some reading down the board would reveal whale watching, seeing the volcano and lava, helicopter trips, snorkeling...on and on. Then there are some specifics to Kauai as well.

As already stated, you can go to any beach, they are all public access. If you are looking for one day to do a lazy beach day, I'd recommend Hapuna beach on Big Island, Kona side. Then check out one of the restaurants in Waikoloa on the way back to the ship. I believe the parking at Hapuna is $5.

Big island is not known for its beaches. Hapuna is probably the best sandy beach on the island, beautiful long white sand and crystal clear waters much of the time.

Hilo you really should check out volcanoes national park, especially with the lava currently flowing it's a great experience. Recently there has even been visible lava spatter in the crater visible from the Jaggar museum.

Kauai has some nice beaches, however, there is so much more to see there. Waimea canyon is gorgeous and the Na Pali coast is simply not to be missed.

IDK what you have planned in Honolulu, but Oahu does have some of the best beaches in Hawaii. Some people argue that Kauai has the better ones, I happen to disagree. Oahu has more beaches that are swimmable more of the year, all around the island.

~Katy