Clothing for cruise

Bripam

No there are no irons on board. Not on any Celebrity cruise ship.

It's a huge fire hazard.

1. Send things out to be ironed for a small fee.

2. Hang something up in the bathroom with a steamy shower.

3. Bring Wrinkle Release

4. Pack better: A. If it's going to be a wrinkle-prone item, put it in a dry cleaning bag and THEN fold or roll in your suitcase. Hang up immediately once in the cabin and most if not all wrinkles will really go away once you're wearing it. B. Choose clothing that is wrinkle resistant. I wear a lot of Chico's Traveler's things. On line you can find videos and tutorials on how to pack better.

5. And since everyone else is in the same boat pun intended, you just don't worry about it. Just enjoy your cruise vacation.

Don't bring too many clothes. I typically wear the same bottom to dinner several times and mix/match with tops, jewelry, etc. I also will wear the same "dinner" top during the day. I also don't try and bring a completely different day outfit for every day and a complete different one for each dinner. No one is going to notice if you repeat.

Irons and steamers are not allowed in the cabins nor are they available for use on the ship. It states this specifically in the info packet that you receive from X prior to boarding.

To bring these forbidden items onboard in your luggage to use just seems inconsiderate to everyone on board. It would be really easy for a fire to start. JMO

Hi,

We always take a travel steamer with us, they work very well & are quick & easy to use. We purchased ours from amazon & they are reasonably priced.

Hope this helps,

Robin.

According to this website: http://www.shipdetective.com/advice/packing/prohibit_celebrity.htm

Celebrity Prohibited Items

"Every cruise line has their own policy but in general most companies prohibit the same items: liquor, flammables and illegal items ... clothes irons and steamers are now banned on most cruise ships for "safety reasons" but curling irons and curler machines are still ok."

The concern is that if dozens of folks brought these, it could overload the ship's electrical system and start a fire.:eek:

Cheers!

People have had travel irons removed from suitcases on some ships by security.

Don't bother with ironing. The need for that is way overblown. Follow the tips from us regular travelers....shower steam and wrinkle relax sprays are enough.

Bring a bottle of Downey Wrinkle Release with you, travel size is available from Amazon and I'm sure other places. Spray anything with wrinkles, pull it straight and let it dry --- works well.

You can always send items to the laundry for press only, if you really feel the need. I imagine that someone here will have prices if you want to know.

Edited by cynbar

Hi can anyone tell me if there are iron and ironing boards available on infinity?

What do other people do ? :)

Put "Modern Butlers Packing" into Google and use their packing method but substitute sheets cut from Tesco value swing bin liners for tissue paper. Your clothes will slip rather than crease even it you have them packed for a week with a pre-cruise stay.

Any remaining creases can be eliminated by running a hot shower whilst your clothes are hanging in the bathroom. If your other half is someone who just gets in the way while you are unpacking, get him/her to make use of the shower while you get the job done.

Don't worry about the negative comments - just because someone else doesn't like their clothes ironed doesn't lesson your question or desire. I agree with you there are a few things I like to iron, I don't mind ironing and do wish one was available.

Bottom Line: Irons and Steamers are prohibited items and there are none available for use other than sending clothes out to be ironed.

Alternative Options assuming you packed an item that needs dewrinked: steaming in the bathroom has worked for me in the past. I don't use Downy wrinkle release but others like it. I just don't like the chemicals and even make my own fabric softener!

For the little things that really need something like my scarves or a collar that won't lie flat and I really like that shirt - I have used a flat iron for hair in the past. It will fix minor wrinkle issues. Just be careful of hair product spoiling your clothes.

If I'm cruising in the Caribbean, I don't usually worry as that's mostly casual clothes. On European cruises, I do pack nicer clothes and a bit dressier so that's when it affects me more and I can bring a flat iron just for clothes touch ups.

Good luck!

Edited by Lisah101

Hi,

We always take a travel steamer with us, they work very well & are quick & easy to use. We purchased ours from amazon & they are reasonably priced.

Hope this helps,

Robin.

These are not allowed either ... if they find it, they will take it.

I seriously doubt that.

Actually, that is a major reason, a couple of years ago someone posted on this board how the electrical systems were designed on cruise ships during another one of these discussions on irons and steamers. The ships electrical systems are quite fragile and this may even be more of a reason for them to forbid these items.

Another way around this is to have your clothes pressed on board instead of at home if you send them out. I find the prices to be very competitive with those at home.

Edited by dkjretired

Princess cruises has laundry rooms where you can wash and dry your clothes for a small charge. There are ironing boards and irons in the room. I am really glad they are there and I have ironed things and was glad I could do it. Being able to do my own laundry is one of the reasons I am loyal to Princess. It would be hard to not have that facility on a cruise, for me.

Do people still iron their cloths? Maybe because we live in Florida, or that we travel between 60 and 80 days a year, we have bought travel clothes that require no ironing and even Cruise ship or hotel sink washable. Some are truly elegant and some are for easy wear/ touring.

Having said that, YES on short cruises/local ports, where size of suit case is NO problem, we take some dressier clothes that require care but in reality they are older clothes and look no nicer than our travel clothes, well except for a sports coat.

Princess cruises has laundry rooms where you can wash and dry your clothes for a small charge. There are ironing boards and irons in the room. I am really glade they are there and I have ironed things and was glad I could do it. Being able to do my own laundry is one of the reasons I am loyal to Princess. It would be hard to not have that facility on a cruise, for me.

Off topic, this is the Celebrity board. The last thing we want to do on a cruise is laundry.

Don't worry about the negative comments - just because someone else doesn't like their clothes ironed doesn't lesson your question or desire. I agree with you there are a few things I like to iron, I don't mind ironing and do wish one was available.

Bottom Line: Irons and Steamers are prohibited items and there are none available for use other than sending clothes out to be ironed.

Alternative Options assuming you packed an item that needs dewrinked: steaming in the bathroom has worked for me in the past. I don't use Downy wrinkle release but others like it. I just don't like the chemicals and even make my own fabric softener!

For the little things that really need something like my scarves or a collar that won't lie flat and I really like that shirt - I have used a flat iron for hair in the past. It will fix minor wrinkle issues. Just be careful of hair product spoiling your clothes.

If I'm cruising in the Caribbean, I don't usually worry as that's mostly casual clothes. On European cruises, I do pack nicer clothes and a bit dressier so that's when it affects me more and I can bring a flat iron just for clothes touch ups.

Good luck!

I too make my own fabric softener and my own wrinkle release to avoid the chemicals. Vinegar, distilled water and essential oils in a spray bottle. My experience is the vinegar smell goes away as soon as it dries. Witch hazel (without alcohol), distilled water and essential oils also makes a great face spray after airline travel or a day of sea air.

I would say to you: your cruise should be a dream vacation come true. If nicely pressed clothes is important to you, budget a bit extra ahead of time and treat yourself to having those articles of clothing ironed on board. You will look and feel good and enjoy yourself on this vacation that you have planned for months and months.

That said, I use my hair flat iron to tidy up collars and seams on our clothes. Works great! :D

Princess cruises has laundry rooms where you can wash and dry your clothes for a small charge. There are ironing boards and irons in the room. I am really glad they are there and I have ironed things and was glad I could do it. Being able to do my own laundry is one of the reasons I am loyal to Princess. It would be hard to not have that facility on a cruise, for me.

I'm on vacation. Do NOT want to spend time in a communal laundry room waiting for clothes to come out of washer and dryer and then wait for a free ironing board. We recently returned from an 18 day cruise to NZ and Australia plus 10 days extra touring plus long plane rides. With judicious choice of clothing I was able to look appropriate for all occasions without needing a laundry room/iron. Sent out very few clothes to be cleaned. I'm a Chico's girl.

I too make my own fabric softener and my own wrinkle release to avoid the chemicals. Vinegar, distilled water and essential oils in a spray bottle. My experience is the vinegar smell goes away as soon as it dries. Witch hazel (without alcohol), distilled water and essential oils also makes a great face spray after airline travel or a day of sea air.
vinegar, water and essential oils is exactly what I use also. Haven't tried the face spray but now I will!

Thank you