Alaska shore excursions

Ladybuggers

Tell us what excursions you are interested in, and we can tell you some vendors. There are far too many to list here without some details of what you want to do!

I am taking my mom, she is 69, she loves wildlife, whales and any critter that moves. She can not walk long distances so it would have to be something she can ride like a train or out on a boat to see wildlife. She has wanted to go to Alaska her whole life. I just want to make it the best i can for her.

there are hundreds of activities and hundreds of vendors.

Perhaps an easier way to accomplish this ...... have your mother review your ships excursion list and select a few options at each port. Then you could post again, asking for independent vendors for those specific activities.

I would also encourage you both to read thru past trip reports and photo journals posted in STICKYS near the top of the page. You'll find great suggestions and recommendations there, plus wonderful photos that bring the activity to life.

If she doesn't use the computer, buy her an Alaska cruise book .... Ann Vipond has Alaska by Cruiseship and Fodor or Frommer has Alaska Ports of Call.

But narrow down your choices then post again to get vendor recommendations.

You need to know the tour first, before you can select a vendor. Not the other way around, otherwise, you have a list of hundreds of vendors. Your shore excursion is a good place to start, narrow down your interests, and have specific tours listed. Post a few of those, then hopefully you will get first hand reports of tours people have taken to help you decide.

Ladybuggers, This May my Mom (age 85) and I took a tour with David of www dot ketchikantaxicabtours dot com. It was great. He knew that the bald eagles would be congregated near a salmon fishing tournament going on that weekend. We saw adult eagles and juveniles, eagles everywhere we looked. He took us to Totem Bight State Park. The walk to the clan house was further than I anticipated. I expressed concerns about Mom's stamina. David had us rest on a park bench. He went back and got a wheelchair from the park ranger, then pushed Mom the rest of the way. He also facilitated our walk down Creek Street. David and I contracted for three hours at $74 an hour. The tour was well worth it for David's knowledge of the area and how to find wildlife, plus getting Mom to areas her limited mobility otherwise would have kept beyond our reach. Our tour went over three hours by a bit, but David did not charge extra. I chose to tip as it was an excellent tour. If Ketchikan Taxi Cab Tours is within your budget, it is a great option for sightseeing with someone with limited mobility.

Vicki

Ketichikan - Do the Bering Sea Crab Fisherman Tour. Book independently to save money. Minimal walking, lots of photo opportunities, you'll see lots of eagles and touch crabs and sea creatures. Our favorite excursion of our cruise.

Skagway - Dyea Dave Tours to Emerald Lake with the Train from Fraser back to Skagway. Enjoyed the personal touch of it being a small tour group. Many photo opportunities stopping at all the overlooks and Welcome to Signs.

Ketchikan - Wild Wolf Tours offers private tours. You can choose the places that you want to see. She is a local with tons of information about the area.

Juneau - Harv an Marv's Whale Watching. I know they offer small group boat tours.

Harv & Marv out of Juneau has a variety of great whale-watching and wildlife tours in Auke Bay, and they handled a couple of passengers who were wheelchair bound, so mobility limitations should be no problem. We saw a lot of wildlife with them - eagles, whales, and sea lions. The scenery on Auke Bay is also beautiful.

We had a wonderful helicopter tour with Ketchikan Helicopters (Ryan mccue is the owner). He was so passionate about the area and the scenery is gorgeous. He will pick you up right in front of your ship.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I was nervous and Ryan was extremely kind and took it very slow at the beginning. It was not strenuous at all, and he will lend you at a salmon spawning stream if you like, and fly you over a bear habitat. And you will hover beside stuff like this:aa171af6fd13bfe91ee06fb64588bee2.jpg

I was nervous and Ryan was extremely kind and took it very slow at the beginning. It was not strenuous at all, and he will lend you at a salmon spawning stream if you like, and fly you over a bear habitat. And you will hover beside stuff like this

I did the helicopter ride at the Grand Canyon a few years back it was amazing. Your photos look great. Was the cost outrageous?

I did the helicopter ride at the Grand Canyon a few years back it was amazing. Your photos look great. Was the cost outrageous?

It wasn't cheap, but was 25-40 percent cheaper than from the ship, and it was a private excursion.