Are multi-port usb chargers banned

1 hour ago, not-enough-cruising said:

You are confusing ports and plugs 

The official policy on Royal’s website CLEARLY states multi port USB plugs are allowed and it makes no mention of any limits on the number of ports. 

I’m not confusing anything. Devices that combine USB ports and multiple 110/220V outlets on the same unit are what is (and has been forever) banned. Multiport USB only towers are actually provided in the standard suite configuration on Oasis, Quantum, and Icon class ships.

The banned configurations being discussed are devices with both multiple USB ports and multiple 110/220V AC outlets ot blocks that contain only multiple 110/220V outlets.

Edited by orville99
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, orville99 said:

I’m not confusing anything. Devices that combine USB ports and multiple 110/220V outlets on the same unit are what is (and has been forever) banned. Multiport USB only towers are actually provided in the standard suite configuration on Oasis, Quantum, and Icon class ships.

The banned configurations being discussed are devices with both multiple USB ports and multiple 110/220V AC outlets ot blocks that contain only multiple 110/220V outlets.

However, my post that you seem to feel the need to correct, was talking specifically about USB charging hubs, and the errant declaration from another poster about a port limit. 

31 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

However, my post that you seem to feel the need to correct, was talking specifically about USB charging hubs, and the errant declaration from another poster about a port limit. 

Whatever…

7 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

All I could find was that someone on the comments section of a private blog site claimed that Royal reps told them that in a direct message on X (not public). 

By the way for different reasons I would not buy either of the pictured products. To many potential points of failure in the one with the cables. The block charger will probably block other outlets and since it does not have a cord with the 4 charging cables it could be too heavy in the outlet and fall out. I had that problem with some of the large international plug adapters. They kept falling out of the 230 outlet. Also a block charger with that many ports is probably going to charge slow.

Here.  

IMG_7269.jpeg

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Sosai X said:

Here.  

IMG_7269.jpeg

OK, I guess I can see that. They are limiting the number of USB ports that are in conjunction with a single 110/220v outlet. I honestly don't know if I've seen something like this with more than 4 anyway.

So a USB charger block that does not have any 110/220V outlets but does have more than 4 USB ports should be fine, as it is a dedicated USB charger.

8 minutes ago, RobInMN said:

OK, I guess I can see that. They are limiting the number of USB ports that are in conjunction with a single 110/220v outlet. I honestly don't know if I've seen something like this with more than 4 anyway.

So a USB charger block that does not have any 110/220V outlets but does have more than 4 USB ports should be fine, as it is a dedicated USB charger.

We’ll see!  I’m awaiting their reply. 

IMG_7272.jpeg

1 hour ago, Sosai X said:

Looks like 4 USB ports is the limit. 

IMG_7276.thumb.jpeg.500c1ee0255c1b547edc9904be73a288.jpeg

They better update their FAQ then. Mine has more than 4.

41A1COpmNzL._SY180_.jpg

This is CE and UL 

But I also don't necessarily trust their social media managers. Earlier this week, 2 different managers gave opposing answers on this:

TESSAN European Travel Plug Adapter, Europe Power Plug with 2 USB Ports, Type C Outlet Adaptor Charger for US to Most of E...

2 hours ago, Sosai X said:

Looks like 4 USB ports is the limit. 

IMG_7276.thumb.jpeg.500c1ee0255c1b547edc9904be73a288.jpeg

That answer is junk.

1. Not saying there are zero USB-B outlet chargers in existence, but they would be exceptionally rare.

2. USB-A and USB-C power delivery specs are vastly different. Per spec, I believe USB-A can deliver 19 watts and USB-C can deliver 240watts. Even if I'm slightly off, 12 USB-A  outlets would equal a single USB-C.

1 hour ago, Mike07 said:

2. USB-A and USB-C power delivery specs are vastly different. Per spec, I believe USB-A can deliver 19 watts and USB-C can deliver 240watts. Even if I'm slightly off, 12 USB-A  outlets would equal a single USB-C.

It does look like junk to me and it is only 55 watts. I would guess devices plugged into those ports are going to split the power and if multiple at one time the charge time will slow. Probably be okay if only 3 devices plugged into those ports at a time. If you have both USB A and USB C devices that block would be convenient plugged into the Euro outlet. A higher power block than the one pictured would be better. Also the built in euro plug really limits it to cruise ships and Europe except the UK. No good for the UK. 

All my devices now are USB-C so I won’t buy a charging block with USB-A ports.  Even my e reader is USB- C. The reader does not have to be charged very often so I don’t really count it. 

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

It does look like junk to me and it is only 55 watts. I would guess devices plugged into those ports are going to split the power and if multiple at one time the charge time will slow.

Usually there is a rate cap on how many watts each USB plug can deliver. There are so many different chargers and price points for different needs, that a blanket policy of "Up to 4 USB plugs" is laughable. The device you mentioned could be anything --- up to 55w total output, up to 55w with a single device plug in. Up to 55w with two devices plugged in with a 30w/30w cap on each port... who knows... you have to read the specs and even then, sometimes the cheaper chinese companies just lie about them.

An easier way to understand it is that you charge a Tesla car using your standard, 3 prong American outlet. Granted, it will take forever as I think I've heard it caps at about 4 miles per hour of charge speed. Using the same plug, you can charge an old, indestructible Nokia phone that maybe pulls a few watts. Any RC ship should be able to charge 10,000 Nokia phones in parallel without issue b/c the watt draw is so low... Less than a TV. However, you can imagine charging just 1,000 Tesla cars simultaneously is probably going to blow up the ship's electrical delivery.

Edited by Mike07