Ovation of the Seas - rush of negative reviews !

I daily check CC's cruise reviews and have noticed that there has been an 'unseemly' number of negative one-star only reviews. Is this considered normal for new ship sailings or is there more problematic issues in the background which could continue into the future.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

PS: I have booked an 8 night cruise on Ovation in late January 2018 from Sydney, so have a vested interest in any comments.

I daily check CC's cruise reviews and have noticed that there has been an 'unseemly' number of negative one-star only reviews. Is this considered normal for new ship sailings or is there more problematic issues in the background which could continue into the future.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

PS: I have booked an 8 night cruise on Ovation in late January 2018 from Sydney' date=' so have a vested interest in any comments.[/quote']

I'm going to guess that it has something to do with Ovation just recently arriving in Asia. Most likely some changes to better suit the clientele, as well as staff needing to get used to a new market.

I would say that by the time you sail her (she'll be in Sydney for 1-2 months prior to your cruise), everything should be normal.

The ship is amazing as is the food. If you were to go on a cruise of more than 3 nights and book the shows, iFly, etc. ahead of time then you would be unable to make the same complaints that everyone seems to be making which don't match my onboard experience of 30 nights.

You can find complaints about all the ships of RCCL if you really want to. Ovation really only has completed 4 or 5 sailings I believe, so it is obviously getting the crew up to speed on how things should be and ironing out the issues. If you've ever been to a hotel after they just open I will say these issues are not just unique to cruise ships!

If anything, the complaints hopefully should end up making your cruise better.

I'm heading on the Ovation OTS over NYE 2017 - still so far away :( - with a group of 10. Before I got everyone to book I explained it would cost more, the ship was brand new, we talked about drink package prices and went through the dining and entertainment options. After reading the reviews it only solidified my view that this ship suits all of my group perfectly. It's a 12 night cruise around NZ departing and returning to Sydney with plenty of sea days, so I wanted plenty to do and see on the ship. I will heed the lesson of the critics though and we will be well organised before we depart!

My first cruise was with RCCL on Oasis OTS, which I loved (the solarium was my favourite place on the ship), but then I waited a few years before I had the opportunity to go on another cruise which was on Voyager OTS. The solarium was underwhelming on the Voyager but largely because I had been spoilt on my first cruise. Still enjoyed the Voyager nevertheless.

I'm really excited to experience Ovation OTS (the solarium looks amazing) and especially so as it will be my 30th birthday on NYE.

I went on the Mariner Singapore-Shanghai and even though I was expecting some differences the reality was a bit of a jolt and she had been doing the Asia itinerary for sometime...So not surprised at some negative reviews about Ovation, it's inevitable when many of us are used to the RCI product we've sailed on. Go and enjoy this itinerary and put aside what other's have experienced...see for yourself.

Thanks everyone for your comments and advice. I am confident that all the "bugs" will be ironed out by the time I take my cruise (in 18 months time). I think the key points to take from the negative reviews is that you need to get all your ducks in a row BEFORE starting your cruise, ie book your restaurants at the time you want, book onboard entertainment, book onboard bumper cars/iFly/etc. Don't leave it until you are on board and possibly 3,000+ other passengers are trying to do the same thing !

Also, as much as I find all reviews very helpful (the good, the bad, and the ugly) it is human nature to complain when you are upset about a perceived grievance. However, not everyone will spend the time to review a cruise when it has been very enjoyable and you have no complaints whatsoever. With that in mind thank you to all cruise passengers who share their experiences with everyone on CC.

I think the key points to take from the negative reviews is that you need to get all your ducks in a row BEFORE starting your cruise' date=' ie book your restaurants at the time you want, book onboard entertainment, book onboard bumper cars/iFly/etc. [/quote']

Once done, you should check up on all your bookings to ensure they have not been cancelled - it has happened.

We were on Ovation on one of her early sailings from Southampton in April, and we thought she was a terrific ship. Very different to any RCI ship we had been on, and possibly too large for us, but personally, we couldn't fault anything.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Edited by Alohaaloha

What complaints? I just got off from Ovation 4 days ago in Singapore. Nothing much to complain about.

If you read Quantum's reviews same time last year, you get the same result.

Since you are sailing Australia, I don't see any problem, RCCL adapts to the culture of the region so the sailing experience changes depending on where the ship is currently home ported.

We were on Ovation on one of her early sailings from Southampton in April, and we thought she was a terrific ship. Very different to any RCI ship we had been on, and possibly too large for us, but personally, we couldn't fault anything.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

"Very different" seems to be they key to lots of the complaints coming

From the Quantum class ships. Lots of diehard Royal cruisers expect

Those ships to be what they are used to. And they have hard time with

That. If those people just "go with the flow" they would have a more

Enjoyable cruise.

CCC's - we got back last week after doing Barcelona to Singapore and there were no issues with the service, food or staff.

A lot of people did not book for dinner - we had the classic dining option (rotation of the four complimentary) so we had the same table number, same wait staff and time every night. You can book before or on board. The problem some had was the shows were released late so it clashed with their dinner plans.

Make sure you book the North Star and iFly early but we heard that they had lots of no shows so you can get in without a booking too. There are three shows you have to book for where your card is scanned at entry, and get there early for a good seat but that goes for all the headliner shows on the other nights.

Don't overthink things or worry about the negative comments - we had a great time. A few things were changed in Singapore for the Asian market but will change back in November in prep for the Australian season.

We were on Ovation at the end of April, our first time with RCI (mostly P+O in the past). We had a few niggles beforehand as we booked quite late and didn't realise we should book dinner and shows ahead of time. It didn't give the relaxed build-up we are used to and we were worried that this would also be the same on board. As it happened, we could have done very well even without booking. Several evenings we turned up at a time other than the one we booked and a table was found for us without any problem.

The ship was very different from anything we had done before and, like a previous poster, think she was a bit too big for us. However, we had a great cruise and would certainly consider Ovation again if the price and itinerary were right (unlikely as she will be in China/Australia, but you know what I mean :) )

There are always the people who just enjoy moaning (not knocking those who had genuine problems), nothing will ever please them.

I haven't read the reviews, but if it's on an Asian sailing route right now, that could have a lot to do with it. When explorer was doing an Asia route, the reviews for that ship plummeted, and it seemed a lot of the Americans and Europeans were having difficulty with the differences in Asian cultures (reporting that they were rude and pushy, cut in line, picking their noses and grabbing buffet food with their hands etc). Most of that discomfort came from the extreme differences in what we consider "rude" vs what Asian cultures consider "rude." The staff had also changed over to being more targeted towards the Asian culture; there was less english on the ship, more smoking, more gambling, changes in the onboard entertainment etc. My guess is there is a lot of disappointment from cruisers who are expecting a Caribbean cruise experience in an Asian market, hence the poor reviews.

Edited by ColoradoGurl

I haven't read the reviews, but if it's on an Asian sailing route right now, that could have a lot to do with it. When explorer was doing an Asia route, the reviews for that ship plummeted, and it seemed a lot of the Americans and Europeans were having difficulty with the differences in Asian cultures (reporting that they were rude and pushy, cut in line, picking their noses and grabbing buffet food with their hands etc). Most of that discomfort came from the extreme differences in what we consider "rude" vs what Asian cultures consider "rude." The staff had also changed over to being more targeted towards the Asian culture; there was less english on the ship, more smoking, more gambling, changes in the onboard entertainment etc. My guess is there is a lot of disappointment from cruisers who are expecting a Caribbean cruise experience in an Asian market, hence the poor reviews.

When the Quantum was in New York. The reviews were not good and the Anthem seems either the reviews are live it or hate it. Same thing when the Royal Princess came out. Die hard Princess cruisers hated the ship. I went on it and absolutely loved it. Even while overhearing other passengers complain about this and that. It seems people want more new ships. But think they should be exactly the same as the older ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by JPEvans

We sailed the Ovation for a week at the beginning of May from Southampton to Barcelona.

Definitely book your meals, Northstar and iFly in advance. However, once onboard you can use the Royal IQ app on your phone to check latest availability and make amendments as you wish - we did this several times.

We found that availability for restaurants and attractions changed constantly throughout the day so the app is an absolute must in my opinion & enabled us avoid queuing altogether.

Bumper cars can't be booked in advance, you just arrive at the Seaplex and queue. The queue will look enormous and snake round the entire hall. However, the rides only last a couple of minutes and at least fifteen people are on at any one time so it goes down very quickly - don't be put off!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

If you go by what a lot people say about the ships in Royal's fleet here on CC you wouldn't sail on any of their ships because I think I have seen reviews of just about every ship where someone was saying how it was the worst cruise on the worse ship ever. Pull up any ship and you will find them!

If you go by what a lot people say about the ships in Royal's fleet here on CC you wouldn't sail on any of their ships because I think I have seen reviews of just about every ship where someone was saying how it was the worst cruise on the worse ship ever. Pull up any ship and you will find them!

I would say that's every ship out there. Carnival, Princess and NCL included

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just back on the ovation last week and booked another cruise on the Ovation for next year. FANTASTIC ship!!

Same here... just came from Ovation and booked her again for November for a longer cruise..

I'm just avoiding mainland China sailings... the rest are fine.

If it is bad why would I sail her again?

Edited by roquejo