Breeze out of Galveston -cheers question

trihawks1

First time on Carnival out of Galveston. I read somewhere, lol can't remember, that when cruising out of Galveston you can't use the Cheers program the first day. So does that mean you get charged one day less? Also, I assume you can order and pay for drinks vs using the Cheers program. Any info would be appreciated.

First time on Carnival out of Galveston. I read somewhere, lol can't remember, that when cruising out of Galveston you can't use the Cheers program the first day. So does that mean you get charged one day less? Also, I assume you can order and pay for drinks vs using the Cheers program. Any info would be appreciated.

Yes, they system will total the amount for the week less day 1.

Unfortunately, you will have to pay for your drinks on that day:eek:

All true. You will be charged beginning the second day. You can purchase drinks with your S&S card prior to that time, switching to Cheers on day 2.

I've been wondering why it is that on Carnival the cheers program doesn't start until day two. I was on Royal in Dec of 2014 out of Galveston and had preordered the drink package online and when I boarded I used the package that day(in port). I was on NCL in January of this year with the free drink package that came with my cruise fare and used it on day one(in port).

Can anyone fill me in as to why I could use the package in port on the other two cruise lines but Carnival doesn't start until day two?

I did have to pay the taxes on my drinks while in Texas waters. This has me puzzled.

On Princess out of Bayport, the all you can drink package was available right away. There was limited drinks available. Liquor, Beers, etc had to be from the republic of texass, or on some approved list. The tax was added on above the amount already paid. On disembark day, you could get a Virgin Bloddy Mary.

Like Bayport, nice terminal, but for all the other Texas rules forget it. Glad Princess pulled out. Bay port was a couple hour trip down the canal. Houston screwed the pooch on this one by thinking build it and they will come. They did come, but once the tax incentives were gone, all pulled out

I did have to pay the taxes on my drinks while in Texas waters. This has me puzzled.

I can answer this part. In Texas there is the Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commision (TABC). If you go to any bar in Texas you will notice a small sticker on there that's similar to the tax stamp on cigarettes. This shows that the bottle was bought through the TABC and the taxes have been paid for it. After the bottle is finished the sticker has to be scrapped off completely before being thrown away.

I haven't cruised yet, but have heard that there is a limited supply of alcohol on hand until you're in international waters. Each bottle has a TABC sticker on it. The taxes that you're paying is I believe a Sin Tax. Texas doesn't have an income tax so we make up for it where we can.

OK. so here's my ??. I have the Carnival Credit card and have lots of fun points that i can use to buy Cruise Cash with. Wouldn't these cover any bar charges made the first day??

Cruise Cash will pay for anything charged to your S&S account, including drink purchases. Remember that Cruise Cash Bar and Cruise Cash Photo is specific to those purchases, and all of the Cruise Cash options are non-refundable (use it or lose it).

From the Carnival Knowledge Center:

Cruise Cash provides an immediate credit to a guest's Sail & Sign account. This credit is good for any charge made to their account including taxes and gratuity charges. Cruise Cash is valid for a single voyage and cannot be transferred to future bookings. Cruise Cash is non-refundable and any unused credits will be forfeited.

Cruise Cash is sold for specific revenue areas on the ship such as Bar, Photo, Shore Excursion, Spa, etc. Guests will be able to purchase:

• Cruise Cash ($25, $50, $75 and $100) – Can be used for any expenses on the guest's Sail and Sign account. This includes staff gratuities.
  • Cruise Cash Bar ($25, $50, $75 and $100) - Can be used on all bar purchases (alcoholic, non-alcoholic and specialty coffee shops).
  • Cruise Cash Photo ($10) – Can be used on all photo purchases.

You know best if you will use the full amount of Cruise Cash you purchase so as not to lose any from non-use. If you apply Cruise Cash to your S&S account it will be used to pay for any charges before any of your other funding methods, i.e. cash or credit card.

• 2 weeks later...

But still wondering why Carnival doesn't allow guests to purchase and use Cheers on day one out of Galveston. If Royal/Princess/NCL has it available, it must NOT be some kind of strange law in Texas that it is not allowed(as I have seen written here before). I guess I am just curious as to the business decision behind this on behalf of Carnival. Anybody want to share their guess??