Overnight in Cozumel?

bcarney

Earlier this year Royal Caribbean planned on offering cruises on Empress of the Seas that featured an overnight stay in Cozumel. During the ship's...disastrous rollout, those cruises were cancelled and all the more recent ones are to the Bahamas (ugh) and Key West/Cayman Isles, which I have little interest in.

We'd like to go to Chichen Itza, but want a more leisurely excursion there and not have to worry about rushing back to the ship at the last minute. I was wondering if other cruise lines offered itineraries, even short ones, that had overnight stays in Cozumel?

Any suggestions? Thanks.

Edited by bcarney

Not overnight, but I think Carnival's Paradise arrives mid day and leaves around 10PM. Given ferry schedules and distance from Playa del Carmen to Chichen Itza, probably not enough time. But could be time to go to Coba.

Some Carnival ships are starting to offer "PLUS" stays, longer stays and excursions to mainland places where regular excursions tend to run short on time. Not sure if C.I. is one of those excursions, but I'd be surprised if it was.

You can see C.I. better on a mainland stay vacation or if your ship happens to dock in Progresso.

The port of Progreso is only about 2 hours from Chichen Itza. I believe cruise ships out of Galveston stop there, maybe New Orleans too. It would definitely be easier to get to than from Cozumel.

The port of Progreso is only about 2 hours from Chichen Itza. I believe cruise ships out of Galveston stop there, maybe New Orleans too. It would definitely be easier to get to than from Cozumel.

Thank you, I'll check out ships that sail there.