Which ship would you choose for Northern Europe?

We are considering a Northern Europe cruise next summer (2017) to celebrate a friend's milestone birthday. It looks like the following ships have itineraries; all the itineraries look wonderful (and would be new to us) and are relatively similar in price, so I'd love to have your feedback on the ships themselves. We haven't sailed RCL before.

Independence

Serenade

Vision

Navigator

The party will include one couple in their 60s, our family with two adults in their 40s and kids 7 and 11, and another friend in her 40s. My 20 year old daughter might join us. So, we are looking for a ship that will be fun for the kids (a decent kids' club so we can have a little bit of grown up time). Food is important to us, and we will probably book balcony cabins. We are experienced travel, though this will probably be first overseas trip for our youngest kids.

Thanks so much!

Id pick Navigator because it's kind of like independence, but probably cheaper. I've never sailed Europe but I really like the voyager class ships; something on them for everyone, and if you really want to see the views, just head to the pool deck and hang out there.

My order would be Serenade, Vision, Navigator, Independence. All of them have kids' programs - I don't have kids so don't know if one is better than another. The weather can be iffy and it's nice to have all of the glass that Serenade and Vision do so you can still see outside even if it's too cold or rainy to be outside. Plus their lower passenger count makes getting off the ship in tender ports less of a chore.

Food on RCI ships isn't all that great in the MDR, in my opinion. You may wish to budget for meals in the specialty restaurants, which I prefer, although we don't eat every meal in them. The Windjammer buffet on Serenade is very nice for dinner - they have plenty of variety and two cook to order stations that offer meats at one and a rotating menu at the other (pasta, stir-fry, etc.). On a port-intensive itinerary, the WJ is a great place to have a relaxed meal in the evening.

Big is best.......especially for the kids.......and big kids! Voyager or Indy!

Independence or Navigator....sure the other ships are great, but these two will have more things that appeal to the age range of those you're sailing with.

I agree. For the 2 of you, I'd recommend Serenade. But with the kids, Indy and Navigator are your best choices.

I would approach this from the destination point of view: if you want to see Norway and smaller nice ports within the nature Serenade and Vision are the only options. Indy does mainly Med and Atlantic ocean cruises and not very appealing itineraries in the Northsea. Only one Baltic cruise is available on Navigator and this excludes Stockholm due to her size. All other options in the Baltic Sea are Serenade and Vision again.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app