? Re: rental of c-pap and oxygen concentrator

love to read

My wife use a cpap and an oxygen concentrator when sleeping. Has anyone rented either or both for a 7 day cruise and if so do you remember the cost? We are trying to lighten our load as much as possible.

Thanks for any info

You might want to post this on the Disabled Cruise Travel sub-forum:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=190

After getting feedback about experiences/equipment/sources, double check with NCL about which rental vendor(s) they use/allow.

Good luck.

There is a company that specializes in supplying medical needs at sea...they are called Special needs at sea... Google them and they will have prices. You will also need to e mail a form to your wife's Doctor so he can basically release her to utilize those medical products at sea....just a FYI..try to do this before you commit to the cruise because my parents dr wouldn't release them to go and I had to fight with carnival to get our deposit back, even with insurance!

Edited by kimala

There is a company that specializes in supplying medical needs at sea...they are called Special needs at sea... Google them and they will have prices. You will also need to e mail a form to your wife's Doctor so he can basically release her to utilize those medical products at sea....just a FYI..try to do this before you commit to the cruise because my parents dr wouldn't release them to go and I had to fight with carnival to get our deposit back, even with insurance!

Thanks.

My wife use a cpap and an oxygen concentrator when sleeping. Has anyone rented either or both for a 7 day cruise and if so do you remember the cost? We are trying to lighten our load as much as possible.

Thanks for any info

A CPAP has settings customized to the patient. Do you know the settings on your wife's CPAP? A respiratory person would have to adjust a rented CPAP to those settings. Because of that I doubt CPAP's are available for renting.

Better to bring wife's CPAP. As medical equipment it can be carried on and is not counted as carryon. My husband always brings his.

I take my C-PAP all the time, and you probably want an extension cord, as well. If you travel a lot, mention it to your doctor, as there are some C-PAPs that travel better than others. My doctor helped me find a model that doesn't take up much room in the suitcase, because I was traveling constantly for business when I started treatment.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Also, don't forget to let NCL know you are bringing a CPAP if you are using a humidifier..... they will supply the distilled water for you!! One less thing to worry about.

Both my wife and I have cpaps and we went to a medical supply store and purchased a nice carrying case for the two of them. Since these devices are individually set, I don't mind the extra piece of luggage to carry...... I know my equipment, where it's been, how clean it is, etc..... this is a medical device and I wouldn't risk renting one (it's not as simple as a wheelchair or scooter or crutch in my opinion).

DH always travels with his own CPAP. We always need the extension cord we bring because there never seems to be any outlets near the bed. Don't count on distilled water being supplied by NCL. They were notified the last 2 cruises. Got it the first time but not the second. Both times we were on the Gem and it was the same itinerary.

I agree with the previous poster about using your own equipment. You know the settings are correct. And you know for sure that it is cared for and cleaned properly. Plus the mask will be the one that is the most appropriate for you.

There are several threads on the Disabled Cruise board about traveling with CPAP and oxygen concentrators. Check those out.

DH travels with oxygen and has for several years. When he first started traveling with oxygen he rented a portable oxygen concentrator from OxygenToGo® (307-732-0040 or 866-692-0040 or email: info@oxygentogo.com) because he needed to have one any time he flew. If your wife does not need oxygen before the cruise, then the only supplier NCL uses on board the ship is Special Needs at Sea. The pricing depends on whether it is a US based cruise or if it is international, and there is a surcharge if the cruise starts and ends at different ports.

Special Needs at Sea will deliver the oxygen concentrator to your cabin before you board and they will collect it after you disembark. They told us that the ship has extras in storage so if it stops working they can switch it out for a different one. For a 10-day Alaska cruise a year ago they charged $218 plus $100 for the one way charge since we started in Vancouver and ended in Seattle.

We called "special needs at sea" and were shocked to learn that they wanted to charge $300 for one week rental of an oxygen concentrator. They told us that they did not rent cpap's out of New York. We are driving to the port so we will bring our own medical equipment. As I stated in my initial post we were just trying to lighten our load.

We were successful in getting reimbursement from our private insurance company for the cost of the oxygen concentrator. Whether you bring your own POC or rent a concentrator contact NCL Access desk to let them know what equipment you are bringing. They will let you know if you need to fill out an extensive form or not.

• 1 year later...

If you have your own portable O2 concentrator, take it. Just ask for an extension cord. Take it as a Carrie on when boarding the ship. Airlines will give you a hard time, having to get advance ok. Not cruise ship. The portable O2 should be able to operate on its battery’s when using it around the ship