Laundry Service - Any Words of Wisdom?

We traveled with twin 3 year olds and a 6 year old and we waited until the $30 bag day. I rolled everything I could and squeezed quite a bit in the bag.

It was worth it to me- the twins had an accident one day and I didn't want to take home stinky clothes :( Everything came back nicely folded and clean! No stains.

Our pre-cruise plans this year will most likely have us needing to use the onboard laundry service for the first time. Any thoughts or comments about the laundry service Royal Caribbean offers onboard?

Prices are at the end of the document linked by this post:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=49955343#post49955343

Be aware that the $30 bag is for underwear, t-shirts, socks, etc. I would not use it for any "good clothes." Stuff is washed in bulk, hot water, etc. also turn around can be 24-48 hours depending on your ship, time given to steward, etc. You may get it back late in your cruise.

Dry cleaning, pressing, individual pricing for garments is actually less than I pay at home.

Also easy to hand wash a few items and hang in shower/cabin to dry.

All I would say is never send anything you think might shrink or leak dye as they wash and dry at very high temps.

Also be careful on dry cleaning as they have ruined items that I have put out for cleaning by deciding as they are washable they will do that despite the form.

We used the bag on our 14 day trip on Indy. We sent undies and shirts mainly. We had one of my son's shirts ruined by what we assume was bleach stains, but everything else was fine. We took the shirt down to Guest Services and they provided a refund of the entire bag. It was a light red t-shirt with obvious streaks on it. We had some navy items in there with no issues.

I also took Tide sink packets and did my bras and a few other items in those. They worked fantastically. Highly recommend

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by masonpips

Ohhh....I was planning to use the laundry service since I didn't want to pack for 2 weeks. Considering some of the comments I don't think I will! Thanks for the warnings.

Go ahead and use the laundry service. I don't send my things that might shrink but everything else goes in the $30 bag (we stuff that bag full every week) and we've never had any issues. They don't iron anything but nothing comes back wrinkled (DH sends his t-shirts and they're always nicely folded and wrinkle free).

We are down to about a week left of 51 nights on Navigator. We send our laundry about every 6 days. We leave the bags on the bad with forms filled out and our cabin attendant takes it. We get it back the following afternoon or evening.

If there is something I hand wash at home I do the same here.

We have always used the Wash 'n Fold (the bag) and LOVE it. We've never had anything damaged, but we don't send the delicate stuff. Undies, socks, t-shirts, etc. When we did our first Med cruise a couple of years ago, we spent several days in Rome prior to boarding so we got on the ship with 3 days worth of dirty clothes. We sent a few "favorite" pieces to the regular laundry and it was actually cheaper than we pay at home. We were able to limit our luggage, knowing we could have fresh laundered clothes mid-way in our trip. Works out WONDERFULLY. The few delicates were washed out in the sink and we used a couple of clothes pins to hang them to the back of a couple of chairs on the balcony. They dried in a couple of hours because of the sun and the breeze blowing. :D

Ohhh....I was planning to use the laundry service since I didn't want to pack for 2 weeks. Considering some of the comments I don't think I will! Thanks for the warnings.

I agree with impatienlywaiting.. don't worry. I send my underwear and T-shirts in the $30 bag all the time. They come back clean and folded in about a day. My wife takes a small bottle of laundry detergent and hand washes her "delicates" in the sink. A couple of "tips." Count out what you are putting in the $30 bag. I checked once and sending underwear and t-shirts at a "per piece" pricing was actually only $20. So the $30 bag wasn't a good deal. So figure that one out first.

Don't send a Tux in a $30 bag. Yeah...had a friend that did that. Then he was shocked when it came back "washed." Shrunk, wrinkled, etc. Amazingly RCCL did pay him for it!

I've used their dry cleaning services. No problem

I've sent shirts to be laundered. No problem

I wouldn't worry about "normal" clothes, but as I said, my wife washes her delicate things in the sink.

The quality of the wash and fold laundry is hit or miss depending on the ship. We have gotten back some that were clean and neatly folded...........others not so good as whites came back a light gray and just thrown in the bag (all wrinkled - not "folded"). We have had lost items and had some other folks items in our bag.

The wash and press has been excellent. The dry cleaning and just plain pressing has been very good also. Prices were pretty much what we are charged locally.

From witch day is the $30 bag available?

We`re spending a few days in Rome before embarking, so will have some dirty clothes already when we embark.

It varies. Ask your stateroom attendant, they may be able to get you the bag on demand.