Do people REALLY walk it?

R Prim

Okay, I have heard you can, but do people really walk to the Carnival Terminal in New Orleans? We have sailed out of many US ports and have never walked nor seen anyone walking to a cruise port. There are 10 of us and it is breaking my husband's heart (or wallet) to pay $8.00 per person plus tip for a 1/2 mile walk. Has anyone used Uber to the port?

Okay, I have heard you can, but do people really walk to the Carnival Terminal in New Orleans?...

Walk from where, though? How old are the people in your group? Any mobility issues?

You may have missed this thread on the first page:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2331117

And my own review a few years ago, although it was to the closer RCI pier:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1995165

Walk from where, though? How old are the people in your group? Any mobility issues?

You may have missed this thread on the first page:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2331117

And my own review a few years ago, although it was to the closer RCI pier:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1995165

Thank you for your response. I did find the first thread you mentioned and read your earlier post (2014). Right now we are staying at the Residence Inn Downtown/Convention Center on St. Joseph Street. Most of us are walkers without mobility issues. We range in age 75 to 7. However we are all very active. We continue to watch Hilton Riverside prices as this sounds like the easiest route to the cruiseport.

Okay, I have heard you can, but do people really walk to the Carnival Terminal in New Orleans? We have sailed out of many US ports and have never walked nor seen anyone walking to a cruise port. There are 10 of us and it is breaking my husband's heart (or wallet) to pay $8.00 per person plus tip for a 1/2 mile walk. Has anyone used Uber to the port?

I'm curious as to where you got the price of $8 per person? We do this every year and always pay between $8-9 for the two of us. You may think you're saving, but if the temps/humidity or rain are around you will not enjoy the walk with your luggage. Uber will certainly not be your cheapest option.

We travel very light(one rolling suitcase +small backpack) and are also considering walking from the Embassy Suites/Lofts. It looks like down Julia St. to the riverside walk and then across to the port.

If it is raining or horribly hot(December???) we will take a taxi or uber.

Google says it is just under 1/2 mile which to us is a very short walk. I did 3 miles with a friend yesterday just for fun.:p

We stayed at Embassy Suites, walked to the mall and once security unlocked the gate to the cruise port section we walked to the ship. BUT, there are a long flight of steps we had to conquer. Probably would not attempt again.

Thank you for your response. I did find the first thread you mentioned and read your earlier post (2014). Right now we are staying at the Residence Inn Downtown/Convention Center on St. Joseph Street. Most of us are walkers without mobility issues. We range in age 75 to 7. However we are all very active. We continue to watch Hilton Riverside prices as this sounds like the easiest route to the cruiseport.

If you're really interested in the Hilton Riverside, book it through lastminutetravel.com It's the 4.5 star hotel in the warehouse district. I just booked two rooms for our cruise for $93 per room.

There is a convoluted way of finding out which hotel you're booking - after you search, you click on the hotel description (example 4.5 star hotel in Warehouse District). It will take you to another screen where it's asking you to add-on a tour. Click - add this to my itinerary - and then click book - it will take you to a new screen with the pricing - and it shows you what the hotel is. If it is a hotel you want, then just go back, remove the tour - and book as normal.