Did you Experience This on Adventure?

While I didn't experience this on AoS, while on Oasis last Thanksgiving there was an upcharge for lobster in the MDR.

That particular upcharge is for a cold-water whole lobster, and is present on every ship. There are still warm water tails available for free in the MDR on one of the formal nights.

Edited by OfTheSeasCruiser

We were also on the Adventure in January. The only one that I think might be true (besides the one specialty restaurant) was #10. I really can't remember if there was a performance each of the 7 nights. We spent most of our time in karoke, so we weren't looking for the main stage shows.

Bill, with regard to Adventure's dry dock, she had an abbreviated dry dock back in April 2014. They added the pool big screen, changed Portofino to Giovanni's, added the Diamond Club, and installed pervasive wireless. They had planned more, but for whatever reason decided to cut it short. The rest of the improvements are supposed to come in November.

That sounds familar, I might have been thinking I read that about Voyager or Explorer.

The only things on that list I ever experienced on AOS, or when her sister ships were identical, was the fact only one specialty restaurant exists.

The paying extra during formal dinner is most likely referring to the fact there are a couple extra charge items on the menu, like a Chops Grill filet and a Maine lobster. The regular menu is unchanged though.

AOS has Studio B so perhaps, the nights there was a main stage show were the days of the ice show. Just a guess.

Yes, the night that the Ice Show was held there was a movie in the theatre.

I also agree that they might have been confused about the extra charge items on the menu.

Hello cruise comrades!

My wife and I are avid cruisers and have been on many Royal Caribbean ships. We cruised Adventure of the Seas in 2010 and had a fantastic time! This past January my parents went on a cruise on Adventure and when they returned they told us some strange things that they encountered that I find hard to believe so I will put it out to you fine people to tell me whether you experienced any of the things they did or they just had a series of unfortunate encounters.

I would love any insight into whether any of these things are true and maybe how Royal Caribbean has started doing things. Are there other things that seemed "different" than your normal cruise experience on this ship? My wife and I are going on Adventure this upcoming October and would love to know what to expect.

Thanks everyone!!

I can address some of this as I just got off the AOS last Saturday. I am not a Royal regular, but I do cruise a lot, between 2 to 5 times a year, this was our third cruise this year and we have 4 more booked between now and Feb. I mention this to show I'm no newbie when it comes to cruising.

We really enjoy the Royal product, especially as we get to be Diamond due to our Celebrity status. I'll try to answer these questions from what our experience was.

[*]At the formal dinner seating they were not doing My Time Dining, but they did not have a waiter assigned to them. It was someone different every day. We ate in My Time Dining so really can't address this. I can tell you we did have the same waiter and table each night, although we had a different assistant a couple of nights.

[*]At the formal dinner they had to pay for extra courses for the meal (getting more than one starter, dessert, etc.) See what I posted above, other than that you could get as many courses or extras that you wanted. On the Lobster night the waiter asked each of us if we wanted extras

[*]The ship felt very old, even after the dry dock upgrades This is pretty accurate. The rooms look like they were decorated by the set designers for Miami Vice, extremely dated. There is a lot of wear on this ship. In all fairness I'm sure this ship takes a beating due to the age demographics.

[*]They felt harassed (more than normal) in the spa Can't speak to this

[*]There was only one Specialty Restaurant Actually two if you count Johnny Rockets, and there was the option of the Captain's table

[*]At Windjammer they only ever saw the side buffets open - never the back ones We ate in the Windjammer twice, once on embarkation day and once in the middle of the cruise, both times was at lunch. Both times the front, back and sides were all open. Wait, I take that back, we also grabbed a quick breakfast on disembarkation day. Service was good there. Food quality was okay. Not great, but not bad, about like Golden Corral

[*]At the Windjammer they saw the same thing every day (no variety in dishes) While there were some of the same items each time we ate there, there was also different choices each time.

[*]The luggage sat in the "employee stairwell" all day and night on the first night and wasn't delivered until late that night (11pm or later) While there might have been a few pieces there that late most of it was delivered earlier. I will say that we waited a while on ours, and one of traveling mates didn't get theirs until after dinner. We dropped them off around 11-11:30am. I will say the crews working in the halls were some of the most lackadaisical luggage deliverers I've seen on any cruise ship. There was a notice in the first day's Compass that all of the luggage might not be delivered until 9pm.

[*]They were turned away from the main theatre for wearing open-toed shoes?? I got nothing, but I can't believe that this happened as there seemed to be no dress code enforced anytime, anywhere. On both formal nights it was quite common to see people dressed in shorts, T shirts, sandals etc.

[*]There wasn't a main stage show in the theatre every night See above

We really enjoyed this cruise. We thought the MDR food was quite good, no complaints. The drinks were very good, two in our group had the drink package and made good use of it. I really liked that they had Balvenie Single Malt on their package. I wish Celebrity had this on their drink menu.

We did not attend any shows other than the Ice Show. We really enjoyed that.

My wife and I loved the Diamond Lounge, this is a nice perk, as well as the other Diamond perks.

All in all an enjoyable cruise, it's more people and more families than we are used to, but we knew that going in. That's not a complaint.

Given the right circumstances we wouldn't hesitate to cruise on Royal again.

And just where did it say they weren't.. snarkyism :)

Nice try at a diversion tactic.:D:D:D

I never said anything about my parents paying for my cruise... and It looks like we'll be on the same Adventure sailing on October 1st, so I'll look for you to show you I'm not a "troll".

BostonCruisers, could you ask your parents a few questions after reading what some posters have said? Maybe you could clear some things up for them, like not having to pay for extras in the MDR, unless it was for the upcharge lobster or steak. Very curious about the open toed shoes and would love to know more about that.

In spite of everything, I hope they had somewhat of a good time.:)