Alcohol free food on Princess

hansi

I was recently in hospital after an attack of pancreatitis after drnking a very small amount of alcohol. I was told to stop drinking immediately, and this doesn't bother me as I don't drink that much anyay, but I'm cruising this week, and I am a bit bothered about food being made with alcohol such as sauces etc, and I wondered if I should tell the Maitre'D so I don't get food which has alcohol added.

I was recently in hospital after an attack of pancreatitis after drnking a very small amount of alcohol. I was told to stop drinking immediately, and this doesn't bother me as I don't drink that much anyay, but I'm cruising this week, and I am a bit bothered about food being made with alcohol such as sauces etc, and I wondered if I should tell the Maitre'D so I don't get food which has alcohol added.

Yes, or just read the menu closely.

Mrs Gut is a fellow pancreatitis sufferer.

As well as suffering with Gut.

I too have to maintain an alcohol free diet. I don't trust that to anyone, I read menus carefully. It is not a problem. Off the top of my head, maybe less than one in ten offerings is prepared with alcohol. Enjoy the cruise.

You will have a lot of alcohol free options on board. However, from a safety standpoint, I would alert the staff to your need as well as carefully reading the menu. If there is an item you'd really like, they may be able to prepare an alcohol free version for you. If the issue is a sauce, it may be possible to serve an item without sauce or to substitute an alcohol free sauce. I'd work with the staff to maximize your options.

I have not (knowingly) eaten food prepared with alcohol in 27 years. On a cruise (or in a restaurant) I read the menu, ask if I don't know, say no to sauces, or just choose something I know has no alcohol. It is a way of life. My health is much more important than food on a cruise ship.

The best part, for me, deserts tend to have alcohol so I seldom eat them. I know several are alcohol free but I like the mindset that says don't eat them. I don't eat deserts at home so don't need to eat them every night on a cruise.

Asking is always a good thing but keep in mind those that do not avoid alcohol are probably not going to think about "hidden" alcohol. For example, desert sauces that have vanilla as a significant ingredient are a challenge as many types of vanilla have a high alcohol content. Uncooked vanilla in a sauce wouldn't be a good choice.

When in doubt, just eat something else!

Food is not a focus or highlight of a cruise for me so it really is pretty easy.

Edited by snowskier

I have not (knowingly) eaten food prepared with alcohol in 27 years. On a cruise (or in a restaurant) I read the menu, ask if I don't know, say no to sauces, or just choose something I know has no alcohol. It is a way of life. My health is much more important than food on a cruise ship.

The best part, for me, deserts tend to have alcohol so I seldom eat them. I know several are alcohol free but I like the mindset that says don't eat them. I don't eat deserts at home so don't need to eat them every night on a cruise.

Asking is always a good thing but keep in mind those that do not avoid alcohol are probably not going to think about "hidden" alcohol. For example, desert sauces that have vanilla as a significant ingredient are a challenge as many types of vanilla have a high alcohol content. Uncooked vanilla in a sauce wouldn't be a good choice.

When in doubt, just eat something else!

Food is not a focus or highlight of a cruise for me so it really is pretty easy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Alcohol burns off when cooked. All that's left is the flavor only. Some sugar free ingredients contain sugar alcohols and those used in things like pudding, icing, etc., do not burn off. Sugar alcohol will give some people the trots if they eat too much of it. I can't handle it so I always ask what kind of sweetener is used. Splenda is fine, but the ones ending in "ol" like malitol, are sugar alcohols. You may want to avoid these.

Alcohol burns off when cooked. All that's left is the flavor only. Some sugar free ingredients contain sugar alcohols and those used in things like pudding, icing, etc., do not burn off. Sugar alcohol will give some people the trots if they eat too much of it. I can't handle it so I always ask what kind of sweetener is used. Splenda is fine, but the ones ending in "ol" like malitol, are sugar alcohols. You may want to avoid these.

This has been disproven over and over again, yet the old wives tale keeps getting told. Yes, SOME of the ethanol vaporizes but never all of it, and depending exactly how it's used, in what dish, and how long it's cooked for you could have 3/4 of the ethanol left. Here's a chart from the USDA - I've also seen similar-enough numbers from scientists I know who've run experiments themselves to believe the USDA numbers might be rounded conveniently to multiples of 5 but are basically accurate.

Deglazing is the #1 reason for 'hidden' alcohol to be in most foods, it's never mentioned on menus, and without letting the kitchen know odds are high that a splash of booze is going into any dish that involves pan cooked meat with any sauce, gravy etc. (hence the solid rule of thumb to avoid all sauces when ethanol-sensitive).

As to the sugar alcohols - despite the commonality of name, these have no link with ethanol and how it is processed in the body. They are very different products chemically, and none of the common ones evaporate at all when cooking (they're optimised to be stable at heat in general, as most are added to hot beverages to sweeten them).

Thanks for the education on the burning off of alcohol. It doesn't affect me, but if it did I would avoid it like I do with any sugar alcohol. I was sick for 3 months and the doctor couldn't figure out what was wrong with me. I bake a lot with almond and coconut flour and was using erthiyol (sp) a sugar alcohol. Once I eliminated that I got healthy again. I read labels before I buy anything sugar free.

If what you said is true, then I wonder why they let children, even toddlers, eat these food items without telling their parents - HEY! Did you know you are feeding your baby alcohol. Don't attack me for this comment. It is a valid. Quite a few of you are saying there is alcohol - real honest to God alcohol - in the food being served in the main dining room. This is the same food that I am feeding to my toddler and all my kids through the teenage years.

This is where I again remind those with various food requirements, that ONLY the Head Waiters or Maitre-d will discuss these issues with you. It is hands-off for the Table Waiters.

Princess would treat this like any other food allergy.

Talk to your head waiter - not to your waiter. Each day at dinner the head waiter will come by your table to take your orders for lunch and dinner for the next day. He will know which dishes have alcohol, which ones do not, and which ones that have alcohol can be made specially for you without it. Princess is very good at giving you choices of just about everything on the menu with appropriate modifications for your allergies (although I wouldn't recommend ordering the alcohol-free version of cherries jubilee:)).

This process can work in anytime dining as well as in traditional. If you have anytime, it is probably better (although not completely necessary) to eat in the same dining room every evening so you are dealing with the same head waiter.

Princess head waiters are trained to deal with allergies. I have shared meals with many people with different allergies, and they have all been treated very well.

Princess would treat this like any other food allergy.

Talk to your head waiter - not to your waiter. Each day at dinner the head waiter will come by your table to take your orders for lunch and dinner for the next day. He will know which dishes have alcohol, which ones do not, and which ones that have alcohol can be made specially for you without it. Princess is very good at giving you choices of just about everything on the menu with appropriate modifications for your allergies (although I wouldn't recommend ordering the alcohol-free version of cherries jubilee:)).

This process can work in anytime dining as well as in traditional. If you have anytime, it is probably better (although not completely necessary) to eat in the same dining room every evening so you are dealing with the same head waiter.

Princess head waiters are trained to deal with allergies. I have shared meals with many people with different allergies, and they have all been treated very well.

Yes, work with your head waiter.

But do let your waiter and assistant waiter also know so they can be another set of eyes making sure you are not accidentally served what you cannot have.