Dining with a large group

I'm trying to figure out the best way to plan dining for a large group of people. We are booked on Harmony, about 30-40 people going and we are all my time dining. We have a group number and are all linked together, but we are using a TA that probably needs a little help.

We would like to do a specialty restaurant on one night and the rest of the time, the mdr. I think Royal said ten people at the same table is the limit for mtd.

Does anyone know if it's possible to get everyone in the same area (on Oasis, there are smaller open rooms off to the side that would be perfect for a few large tables).

Anyone have any advice or knowledge of what I can do...

Normally, if you are in a group, the TA works with the group coordinator on the ship to arrange dining. However, that may only work for traditional (fixed) dining. We had a group of 50 last year that had 7 tables in the same area of the dining room, but we were on traditional dining.

Maybe I should switch everyone to fixed. It's tough because there are infants and toddlers going along with 'drinkers' so early/late seatings are both wanted. Impossible to please everyone with a large group.

I'd talk to the TA and see if it's possible to have mixed dining, i.e., some on fixed and some on MTD. If that's possible, it might work our better. However, just know that the two groups could not eat with each other.

I would definitely switch to "fixed" dining...that's the best way to assure you'll all be in the same area, and you'll never have a wait!

In reality, will the entire group be together ALL the time? Maybe let 1/2 the group do early seating, .....and that works best with kids.

The problem with MTD, it functions just like a restaurant...and a group that large will be virtually impossible to get in one spot at the same time.

Maybe I should switch everyone to fixed. It's tough because there are infants and toddlers going along with 'drinkers' so early/late seatings are both wanted. Impossible to please everyone with a large group.

Keep that in mind, seriously. We had a group of 32 on a Celebrity cruise and just picked one night (formal I believe) to have everyone eat together. Arranged it as soon as we boarded. We were split up into 4 tables.

My initial thought for mtd was that we could have a few dinners later when all the kids were at daycare or the ad. club and enjoy a nice long dinner with no interruptions. Then have the other dinners early with everyone.

I think I will switch everyone to early and maybe have two specialty restaurants booked later in the evenings with no kids.

Bob, I've had issues with Chops, but most of my group has never eaten there and have no idea how good it used to be... Should I book one night there? I know you felt the same way at one point.

... Bob, I've had issues with Chops, but most of my group has never eaten there and have no idea how good it used to be... Should I book one night there? I know you felt the same way at one point.

You will have to use your own judgement. Chops is no longer worth it to us. I normally recommend Giovanni's because it has an excellent filet and more choices for those who want something other than meat, but I believe Harmony has Jamies, and I know nothing about that one.

For what it's worth we cruised in a group of 23 last fall on Brilliance. We had 3 tables all next to each other and were able to switch up the seating each night. It worked out great (but we were all on traditional dining)!

In order to do this "round robin" seating they asked that everyone in the party prepay gratuities so none of the wait staff would get stiffed.

For what it's worth we cruised in a group of 23 last fall on Brilliance. We had 3 tables all next to each other and were able to switch up the seating each night. It worked out great (but we were all on traditional dining)!

In order to do this "round robin" seating they asked that everyone in the party prepay gratuities so none of the wait staff would get stiffed.

This seems like the best option. Do we need to tell them we are switching tables? Not that I care about prepaying grats, just would rather not have to tell everyone in the group that.