Alaska Legend Virgins

nealstuber

With 25 Caribbean/Mexico/Bermuda cruises under our belt, everyone on our Family reunion cruise in late July is looking to us to be an authority on all subjects.

Other than "Bring Money and be prepared to spend more than you think you will" I'm kinda at a loss.

Assuming Seattle in July means pack swimsuit in your carry-on is still a good tip. Wait till the rooms open up before hitting the buffet on embark should still work too, but I still feel very out of my depth, especially with a Smaller Carnival ship since we haven't sailed them in a few years.

We are doing the July 5th cruise out of Seattle. Will let you know how it goes.

We are all Florida natives and have several Carnival Cruises under out belt, but I will say this much....Alaska cruising is expensive.

There have been a couple of reviews posted about the cruise so far. We're going in a few weeks. I just know that we need to be prepared for all kinds of weather. Layer, layers, layers is what everyone has said! :D We've got different pants, raincoats, and vests for the excursions we're planning on doing. I know someone from last week said they had seasonably warmer weather and could use the indoor pool (which I believe was the only one open they said).

There have been a couple of reviews posted about the cruise so far. We're going in a few weeks. I just know that we need to be prepared for all kinds of weather. Layer, layers, layers is what everyone has said! :D We've got different pants, raincoats, and vests for the excursions we're planning on doing. I know someone from last week said they had seasonably warmer weather and could use the indoor pool (which I believe was the only one open they said).

It's like any cruise except bring extra clothes to layer when needed. Excursions are pricey and understandably so, but they are one of a kind, so be prepared with extra funds or credit cards.

With 25 Caribbean/Mexico/Bermuda cruises under our belt, everyone on our Family reunion cruise in late July is looking to us to be an authority on all subjects.

Other than "Bring Money and be prepared to spend more than you think you will" I'm kinda at a loss.

Assuming Seattle in July means pack swimsuit in your carry-on is still a good tip. Wait till the rooms open up before hitting the buffet on embark should still work too, but I still feel very out of my depth, especially with a Smaller Carnival ship since we haven't sailed them in a few years.

Congratulations on your first Alaska cruise! I just got back from Legend Alaska. I've cruised Norwegian, Princess, and Carnival to Alaska. Just let me know if I can answer any questions you think of.

While I can be happy in an inside cabin in the Caribbean, I would not consider cruising to Alaska without a balcony cabin. The scenery is worth the extra expense IMO. I found my cabin to be too warm to sleep. I didn't take my fan this cruise thinking it would be cooler and I wouldn't need it, but I was wrong. I asked for a fan from Guest Services, but they didn't send one to me. So I ended up propping my balcony door open with a chair whenever I was in my cabin and that was perfect.

The weather in Alaska is more of a factor than in the Caribbean IMO. It was in the mid 80s in Seattle on embarkation day, but mostly in the 60s the rest of the cruise. We also had wind in excess of 60 mph at night. The ship didn't rock though because it was a head wind. The only day I wore my swim suit was on embarkation day in Seattle. The retractable dome on the ship stayed closed every day after embarkation day. You need to plan to pack to be able to wear layers. Rain ponchos are a must. It rained sideways most of the day I was in Juneau this cruise, but my first Alaska cruise it was in the 70s with abundant sunshine in Juneau. And both of those cruises were the same timeframe of the year. Excursions are a much bigger thing in Alaska than in the Caribbean. Alaska is all about the scenery and wildlife. My favorite excursions are the helicopter to land on Mendenhall Glacier, Misty Fjord Float Plane, White Pass Summit Train Ride, and the Glacier Explorer Catamaran. The Explorer excursion tends to sell out so plan early if you're interested in that. The Explorer catamaran has a small bar with snacks on the bottom level and they offer unique snacks for sale like reindeer dogs and Glacier-ritas. That was just right because you're on the catamaran a few hours. Definitely plan to spend more on excursions in Alaska than in the Caribbean. Be sure you have a decent camera because you will have lots of reasons to take photos.

If you need a pre or post cruise hotel, I highly recommend Cedarbrook Lodge. While it is a Sea-Tac airport hotel, you'd never know it because it sits on acres of beautiful landscaping and wetlands. They have a hot tub too. The grounds are just gorgeous. They have a free airport shuttle both ways and you can book Carnival transfers to the ship to use after shuttling back to the airport on embarkation day. That's very convenient. The staff at this hotel are exceptional and very eager to please. They also have a common living area in each building for guests to use. There they provide free snacks, free bottled water, and free bags of ice. Free snacks include Hagen Das ice cream, chips, gourmet chocolates, and other goodies. They also have a great bar and restaurant. Their afternoon happy hour offers reasonably priced food and drinks. I tried their homemade asparagus soup and the Warm Bacon Vinaigrette Salad and both were excellent. They also have a free fabulous breakfast bar, "Northwest Inspired" (link below). The rooms have huge bathtubs and they provide complimentary bath salts. That was a very relaxing way to start my vacation after a long flight to Seattle.

http://www.cedarbrooklodge.com/

http://www.cedarbrooklodge.com/complimentary-amenities/northwest-inspired-breakfast.htm

http://www.cedarbrooklodge.com/complimentary-amenities/living-rooms.htm

Edited by winddawn

Congratulations on your first Alaska cruise! I just got back from Legend Alaska. I've cruised Norwegian, Princess, and Carnival to Alaska. Just let me know if I can answer any questions you think of.

While I can be happy in an inside cabin in the Caribbean, I would not consider cruising to Alaska without a balcony cabin. The scenery is worth the extra expense IMO. I found my cabin to be too warm to sleep. I didn't take my fan this cruise thinking it would be cooler and I wouldn't need it, but I was wrong. I asked for a fan from Guest Services, but they didn't send one to me. So I ended up propping my balcony door open with a chair whenever I was in my cabin and that was perfect.

The weather in Alaska is more of a factor than in the Caribbean IMO. It was in the mid 80s in Seattle on embarkation day, but mostly in the 60s the rest of the cruise. We also had wind in excess of 60 mph at night. The ship didn't rock though because it was a head wind. The only day I wore my swim suit was on embarkation day in Seattle. The retractable dome on the ship stayed closed every day after embarkation day. You need to plan to pack to be able to wear layers. Rain ponchos are a must. It rained sideways most of the day I was in Juneau this cruise, but my first Alaska cruise it was in the 70s with abundant sunshine in Juneau. And both of those cruises were the same timeframe of the year. Excursions are a much bigger thing in Alaska than in the Caribbean. Alaska is all about the scenery and wildlife. My favorite excursions are the helicopter to land on Mendenhall Glacier, Misty Fjord Float Plane, White Pass Summit Train Ride, and the Glacier Explorer Catamaran. The Explorer excursion tends to sell out so plan early if you're interested in that. The Explorer catamaran has a small bar with snacks on the bottom level and they offer unique snacks for sale like reindeer dogs and Glacier-ritas. That was just right because you're on the catamaran a few hours. Definitely plan to spend more on excursions in Alaska than in the Caribbean. Be sure you have a decent camera because you will have lots of reasons to take photos.

If you need a pre or post cruise hotel, I highly recommend Cedarbrook Lodge. While it is a Sea-Tac airport hotel, you'd never know it because it sits on acres of beautiful landscaping and wetlands. They have a hot tub too. The grounds are just gorgeous. They have a free airport shuttle both ways and you can book Carnival transfers to the ship to use after shuttling back to the airport on embarkation day. That's very convenient. The staff at this hotel are exceptional and very eager to please. They also have a common living area in each building for guests to use. There they provide free snacks, free bottled water, and free bags of ice. Free snacks include Hagen Das ice cream, chips, gourmet chocolates, and other goodies. They also have a great bar and restaurant. Their afternoon happy hour offers reasonably priced food and drinks. I tried their homemade asparagus soup and the Warm Bacon Vinaigrette Salad and both were excellent. They also have a free fabulous breakfast bar, "Northwest Inspired" (link below). The rooms have huge bathtubs and they provide complimentary bath salts. That was a very relaxing way to start my vacation after a long flight to Seattle.

http://www.cedarbrooklodge.com/

http://www.cedarbrooklodge.com/complimentary-amenities/northwest-inspired-breakfast.htm

http://www.cedarbrooklodge.com/complimentary-amenities/living-rooms.htm

were leaving in 2 days on our Alaskan cruise. it is on ncl because we wanted a cruise with a land tour. i'm super excited. it blows my mind that it is going to be cold in july. i thought my wife was crazy when she told me i had to buy a good rain jacket and bring layers of clothing. after reading your post i'm glad i listened to her. i would hate to be wet and cold on the ship that would suck.

Excursions are pricey and understandably so, but they are one of a kind, so be prepared with extra funds or credit cards.

We've already paid for everything. We booked our excursions months ago, all paid. For this cruise, we wanted to make sure we got what we wanted to do, so we didn't wait. The only one we couldn't pay for yet was the Tracy Arm one, since they don't do advances payment for it.

were leaving in 2 days on our Alaskan cruise. it is on ncl because we wanted a cruise with a land tour. i'm super excited. it blows my mind that it is going to be cold in july. i thought my wife was crazy when she told me i had to buy a good rain jacket and bring layers of clothing. after reading your post i'm glad i listened to her. i would hate to be wet and cold on the ship that would suck.

Maybe you'll get lucky and have better weather than I did. I was very glad I took a hooded windbreaker with me. I'm pretty warm natured. I never did get cold during the trip. Rain is another story though. I was really glad I had a disposable poncho in my purse when I was shopping in Ketchikan. The bottom fell out while I was in a shop.

Hope you have a great cruise! You picked a good time to go. If you go later in the season you don't get to see so many waterfalls from the snow melt.

Edited by winddawn

You just put my mind at ease - we are staying at Cedarbrook Lodge, but it seemed almost too good to be true, so I was nervous about it! You are also the perfect person to ask my next question - what time did you take the shuttle from the Lodge to the Pier? I think our current shuttle time is 10am, but I am thinking that may be WAY too early. What are your thoughts? When you got to the Pier did you just stay there? Or can you leave your luggage and then go into Seattle for a bit?

Edited by gwenslibrary

I think it depends on where you and your family members are from to determine what to bring to wear. We're from CO so found Alaska in May to be just like at home. 55 - 60 degrees in CO is flip flop weather. If everyone is from very warm weather areas, bring hoodies, rain coats, fur hats, mittens, to keep warm. We even saw some people from AZ wearing those russian style fur hats that covered their ears while we were wearing capri's and sandals. lol The weather was nice for us at around 60-65 degrees during the daytime.

Everything is expensive in every port on the AK cruise. Just be sure your family knows if they want to do excursions, they need to budget quite a bit. Don't miss the king crab in Juneau even though it's about $40 a leg - so worth it!

Have a great trip and take lots of photos!

You just put my mind at ease - we are staying at Cedarbrook Lodge, but it seemed almost too good to be true, so I was nervous about it! You are also the perfect person to ask my next question - what time did you take the shuttle from the Lodge to the Pier? I think our current shuttle time is 10am, but I am thinking that may be WAY too early. What are your thoughts? When you got to the Pier did you just stay there? Or can you leave your luggage and then go into Seattle for a bit?

We just got back a week ago... cruise was June 14-21.

Clothing... we saw people onboard in everything from swimsuits, shorts and flipflops to jeans and sweaters. On Tracy Arm day, you needed hat and a coat up on the Lido to watch at the railing, the wind was a bit chilly. Ditto if you did the Tracy Arm small boat excursions(we highly recommend this, see my video!)

In ports.... at 7am port time, it was chilly to start, we wore jeans and layers, carried our coats most of the time as the sun always came out. Ketchikan it was sunny and warm, but by departure time (1pm) it was cloudy-rainy.

Onboard dining.... people wore whatever to dinner, even the formal nights, rarely saw people dressed up. Most just wore nice pants and shirts with collars for guys, women wore what I would call nice casual.

Pool... there is one pool that is completely enclosed with a roof. Kids were there from dawn to dusk.

Basketball court on top deck... teens were there from dawn to dusk.

Actually, I was shocked how many families were onboard, but I guess I shouldn't have. Alaska is perfect for families, so many things to see and do.

Boarding the ship.... quick and easy. Everyone was onboard by noon. Muster drill is a hassle but it went pretty fast.

Departure.... never seen anything so crazy in my life! You just walk off the ship and hand a guy your customs sheet.... NO LINES, no waiting to go through and show passports at all. Just walk out to parking lot. It literally took 5 minutes.

The ship.... The Legend is a bit odd and quirky. No Guys, no burritos, Lido buffets can get crazy crazy busy. There is a big Red Frog Pub but it was always dead.

My biggest complaint was the music entertainment... every act was playing the same music! Two acoustic guitarists, same playlist. Two bands, same playlist. Boring. All playing Top 100 hits of past 30 years. Every day, same songs. Not one country artist either.

Playlist performers were good, not the best we have seen. The group on the Glory and Freedom were better. We do like Playlist, just didn't think this group had been together long and were still learning the shows.

Sorry for the long post.... hope this helps. We loved the cruise and will do it again with family next time.

Bring binoculars. When you're sailing, look out at the water, if its calm and not choppy, look for "puffs" out on the water, those are whales. The eagles sit about a third of the way up in the trees, they look like white golf balls.

We will be on the Legend 8/16. The Spirit class ships are super easy to get around.

Last time we were there, It was 83 degrees in Juneau and the pool area was packed when we got back on board. Just bring at least a pair of shorts and some tee shirts.

If you like seafood, have some in port, its delicious.

Enjoy your cruise and the beautiful scenery Alaska has to offer.

Love your post you started. We are in same boat- no pun intended haha. Having cruised only Caribbean, I have been researching posts being the go to person. I have been creating a word doc of hints, packing items, and shopping stores that focus on Made in Alaska items or Native American.

Before I go on, we used to live in MCAllen in late 90's. Very familiar with Mission,TX. We will be sailing with our son & his new wife, and her parents. We tease we are calling it a family "honeymoon". All of us are Alaska Virgins, and the new wife,and her parents cruise virgins.

So far- following the layering recommendation, bought waterproof hiking boots to bring along with tennis shoes,laid out my raincoat (I read ponchos are hard to wear)- one tip I read BRING a baseball type hat- it works great under a hat,hood etc. to keep rain out, makes easier to walk,take photos etc. This is first time on a cruise Lang on jeans. So programmed to pack dress clothes for "formal" errr elegant night. Now reading may be just another dress nice night. Less to pack, and less a pair of dress shoes sounds good.

Excursions are so far more laid back type, and not high cost ones, with exception of Fjord plans.

Tracy Fjord Reserved the 11am excursion for all 6 of us.

Skagway- no plan yet for us. Mostly some shopping and weather dependent may walk out to old Cemetary and the waterfall. Part of family booked Carnival train/hike.

Juneau- since 6 of us, at moment renting a van to go to Mendenhall visitor center as cheaper than six of us biking excursions, take short Nugget hike trail, then back maybe check out the local mini brewery,some shops

(Glacier Smoothie definitely on list- a patented handmade soaps with glacier silt. Also The Trove shop- described as eclectic items not mad in China. Maybe the fudge/candy shop.) Tripadvisor has been a real help on local port sites,shopping.

Ketchikan- seems limited,

Victoria- may just enjoy last night on ship.

Still have to worry about dining times as 4/6 of family waitlisted for early dining (the time we have.) Planning on Uber to port, not sure yet about how we will return back to airport at cruise end.

Edited by Buffettfan 225

We've already paid for everything. We booked our excursions months ago, all paid. For this cruise, we wanted to make sure we got what we wanted to do, so we didn't wait. The only one we couldn't pay for yet was the Tracy Arm one, since they don't do advances payment for it.

Same here, We prepaid for everything we could. As you said we couldn't prepay for Tracy Arm, but at least its booked and the funds allocated for it. The same with the steak house. Reservation made and funds set aside. We cruise on the 12th

Congratulations on booking an Alaska cruise. It is an amazing destination with so much to offer.

As others have said, pack a variety of clothing since the weather can be iffy and unpredictable. Don't forget your camera. Photo opportunities are everywhere.

Happy cruising!

....we used to live in MCAllen in late 90's. Very familiar with Mission,TX. ....So far- following the layering recommendation, bought waterproof hiking boots to bring along with tennis shoes,laid out my raincoat (I read ponchos are hard to wear)- one tip I read BRING a baseball type hat- it works great under a hat,hood etc. to keep rain out, makes easier to walk,take photos etc. ....

Being from McAllen, you understand we have NONE of this stuff! Thinking we'll do a Walmart Run in SEA and toss it when we're done (or Amazon it to DS's house).

Thanks for your shore excursion tips, we found a 3 port package that made our party of 16 happy - a whale watching thing in Juneau and 2 hour orientation tours in the other two ports. DS lives in SEA and knows Victoria well so we'll follow her lead that night.

We haven't unpacked our garment bag from our recent Liberty OTS cruise and were thinking we'd just put new tags on the bag, but it sure sounds like we'll be overdressed at dinner.

Our Last family reunion was on the Pride 10 years ago when she was new and sailing out of FL. Kind of weird that we're on basically the same ship - but everyone keeps reminding me that an AK cruise is not about the ship - I dunno about that... sound like folks who say you don't need a balcony on a cruise because you never spend time in the room - until you have a balconey and find out you like spending time in your room.

Edited by nealstuber

> but it sure sounds like we'll be overdressed at dinner.

Sometimes I feel like those who don't like to dress up are trying to shift the norm more and more to casual, and convince everyone not to dress up for the elegant nights.

Please be assured that some of us still do elegant night "elegantly."

• 3 weeks later...

I requested the Tracy Fjord tour right away, and received an email describing meeting in a lounge, etc. it never really stated tour time. (Unless I misplaced that email). Does your email confirmation state a time?

Being from McAllen, you understand we have NONE of this stuff! Thinking we'll do a Walmart Run in SEA and toss it when we're done (or Amazon it to DS's house).

Thanks for your shore excursion tips, we found a 3 port package that made our party of 16 happy - a whale watching thing in Juneau and 2 hour orientation tours in the other two ports. DS lives in SEA and knows Victoria well so we'll follow her lead that night.

We haven't unpacked our garment bag from our recent Liberty OTS cruise and were thinking we'd just put new tags on the bag, but it sure sounds like we'll be overdressed at dinner.

Our Last family reunion was on the Pride 10 years ago when she was new and sailing out of FL. Kind of weird that we're on basically the same ship - but everyone keeps reminding me that an AK cruise is not about the ship - I dunno about that... sound like folks who say you don't need a balcony on a cruise because you never spend time in the room - until you have a balconey and find out you like spending time in your room.

I understand finding outdoor cooler clothes an issue in MCAllen. Maybe save what you did buy for "next" Alaska cruise. I hope it lives up to hype and we catch some dry weather. First time sailing there too, and 3/6 family with us cruise newbies.

I requested the Tracy Fjord tour right away, and received an email describing meeting in a lounge, etc. it never really stated tour time. (Unless I misplaced that email). Does your email confirmation state a time?

I requested a time when I sent the email for the 11:00 a.m. excursion. This was what our email said...

We are happy to confirm your reservation for the Tracy Arm Fjord & Glacier Explorer excursion at 11:00am on 07/14/2016 for your upcoming Alaska cruise for

- 2 adults (aged 13 and above);

- 1 children (aged 5 - 12).

The minimum age of this excursions is 5 years old.

At this current time we are unable to charge online ahead of time however we will reserve tickets for you. Your tickets will be charged to your onboard Sail & Sign Account on the day of embarkation and will be printed and delivered to your stateroom on the first sea day of the cruise.

Please have this email printed as a confirmation page.

Wishing you a very pleasant voyage on the Carnival Legend.