Cheers: Not about breaking even for us

zabaco

Been reading this thread because I am debating getting Cheers on our nex cruise. Good arguments on both sides. If Carnival did like RCI did the last time we were on them (not everyone in the cabin had to purchase the plan) it would be a no brainer. I love the freedom to try new drinks. My wife doesn't drink much and would never come close to breaking even.

We both like Alchemy and with drinks there around the $10 mark it makes Cheers more tempting. If Alchemy was open longer (it opened around 5 or 6 pm on are last trip) we could easily justify the price.

I considered taking the amount Cheers would cost and putting it on the room account but at that point I would be thinking about the cost of each drink instead of wanting to try new things.

Decisions, decisions. Since this is only a four day cruise and we are not spending much time off the ship in ports and I have a bunch of overtime coming up I may just do it and enjoy the freedom to try new stuff. Plus my wife might try some new things too.

Glad it worked out good for the OP.

We are cruising in a week (yay!) and even though I don't think we will "break even" on Cheers, we bought it. Let me explain.

My husband is not a big drinker at all, but he does drink. At home, he drinks a beer pretty much every night and enjoys a glass of wine with dinner. There is NO WAY he will drink enough to make up for the cost of Cheers (me, on the other hand....I love those fruity concoctions on vacation!)

So why in he world would we get Cheers? Without Cheers, he won't drink at all on the cruise because he hates to spend money on a drink by drink basis. Even if he would enjoy a beer or a glass of wine, he won't order one because of the cost.

So for us, Cheers is my way of getting him to loosen up and enjoy himself during the cruise. That is worth the extra cost, right there.

It might sound stupid, but psychologically there just something different about the fact that it's paid for up front so you can relax and enjoy yourself without having to worry.

I'll keep track and see how we do. I'm not going to TRY to break even (because that doesn't sound fun, either) but I am interested to see how we do. The addition of the bottled waters and coffee drinks, etc. really made the difference--I'm looking forward to having as much bottled water as I want plus San Pelligrino in the MDR.

So--even if we don't "break even", I think Cheers will enhance our vacation experience so much that it will be worth the cost. And THAT is worth paying for.

just wondering....did you break even?

You know, I think we did! I have an analysis on pg. 11.

Again, as I have posted this before, Happy 25! And super glad you enjoyed your cruise! Such a civilized thread. Bet you never imagined your post would get over 228 replies and over 12,225 views!:D

Again, as I have posted this before, Happy 25! And super glad you enjoyed your cruise! Such a civilized thread. Bet you never imagined your post would get over 228 replies and over 12,225 views!:D

Thank you very much!

You're right--I am very pleased with how nice everyone has been.

The best part of all--I really do think that I (and the other thread participants) have helped other people think about Cheers in a different way.

• 2 weeks later...

I've gone through reading the responses to the original post, and I totally can agree that I see both sides of the argument. Hubby and I weren't planning on buying Cheers for our upcoming 5 day in Oct, until I read a post yesterday about how this couple basically got their moneys worth out of it. I hadn't realized that Cheers had changed to include any drink up to $50 each, bottled waters, specialty coffee, milkshakes, etc.

While we haven't made a definitive decision yet, I believe that we will end up purchasing the Cheers package, especially so we can try it out to see if it would be beneficial for us. One big selling point for me is the fact that our ship has the tequila bar, and this will give me the freedom to order the more expensive tequilas without having to think "should I really be spending XX on a shot of tequila?"

My husband and I are moderate drinkers and this cruise we will be with friends so we will probably end up drinking more. This will be our 3rd cruise together. The first cruise was with 8 people, and we did quite a bit of drinking. I spent at least $300 on tequila alone. The 2nd cruise was just the two of us, and we found that we didn't drink nearly as much for the simple fact it's funner to drink with more people. We also found that even if we did want to drink, we sat there thinking whether or not we really wanted it. This 3rd cruise since we will be with friends who will happen to be on their honeymoon, I think we will end up drinking more and Cheers would give us the freedom to purchase things we normally wouldn't.

I'm also looking forward to being able to use it for coffees and milkshakes. The last cruise I really wanted a milkshake, but I really didn't want to spend the money for it.

All in all, this thread has been very informative and entertaining. :cool:

I think keeping in mind all of the other inclusions now also helps. It's no longer JUST about alcohol.

This is what convinced me. We are getting married on the Carnival Splendor in February. It will be my future-hubby's first cruise and we decided to budget the cheers program. Not only will we get to celebrate worth all of our family and try new drinks we would have skipped, but we will definitely take advantage of the nonalcoholic drinks. My hubby is from Italy and loves his espresso (we're talking 12 cups a day), and he doesn't like to drink tap water, even at home. Now he can have the large bottled waters and San Pelligrino that he loves without worrying. And I can have cappuccino on my balcony for breakfast 😉 And we can still enjoy different drinks and try new things!

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks this is a great post! We are beer drinkers and we were going back and forth, but we will buy cheers! Between a few frozen drinks, waters and coffees, we'll get our moneys worth! We are going in Oct for our 25th too!

Happy Anniversary and glad you had a great time!

I've read through this post and comments and like the points for both sides. We aren't huge drinkers, but realistically drink 7-8 a day, maybe more, maybe less. Have tried both options. I did like not having to worry about the bar bill. Our second cruise we got Cheers, first one we didn't as my DH thought it may be a better fit. I didn't like worrying about what kind of bar tab we were running and a couple of times, I got grouchy with him about it. The final tab was less than what Cheers would have been, by $60-ish. I'd rather pay it and have the comfort of knowing our drinks are covered and I'm more open to trying something new. Like the rose Champagne in the steakhouse (I think it was around $20), it was excellent, I never would have tried it, without having Cheers. Knowing that Cheers has been revised, it's seriously a no-brainer for me.

I can understand it not being the most economical choice for some, it's a personal decision. My sister + hubby (drink wine) were on the same cruise as us and she did not have cheers, their bar tab was over $1000 for a week, she was kicking herself for not getting it. :eek:

Edited by Dearabby_84

I went in thinking the same way. This will keep me from worrying about cost but it backfired. I felt like I had to drink more on sea days to make up for when I only had 4 or 5 on other days. I took in more calories than I needed to trying to feel like I got value out of it. Additionally they wouldn't let me add a rum floater on my Pina coladas because it counted as 2 drinks. [emoji27] So yeah, I came a couple dollars ahead but I'll just pay by the drink next time, get exactly what I want, and not drink when I don't feel like it. I won't come in with a quota I have to meet. I gave it a try, just not for me.

I went in thinking the same way. This will keep me from worrying about cost but it backfired. I felt like I had to drink more on sea days to make up for when I only had 4 or 5 on other days. I took in more calories than I needed to trying to feel like I got value out of it. Additionally they wouldn't let me add a rum floater on my Pina coladas because it counted as 2 drinks. [emoji27] So yeah, I came a couple dollars ahead but I'll just pay by the drink next time, get exactly what I want, and not drink when I don't feel like it. I won't come in with a quota I have to meet. I gave it a try, just not for me.

Did you not take advantage of the extras, that are included now? My husband wasn't interested for our upcoming cruise, as the price for the package has gone up since we last purchased it. We came out ahead the 2 other times we bought it. I am a hoarder and have all our bills from past cruises. When I showed him our bill before Cheers! and then showed him a "mock" bill of how HE drinks, he realized the savings. I had never before gotten a specialty coffee, or a milkshake, etc...that are included now, and I know I will, if not come out ahead, I will at least break even. And, he will definitely come out ahead. And since we prepaid it, it will be GREAT not even thinking about a bill for it. I have to admit that the 1st time we bought it, we probably drank more as we felt committed to get our monies worth. But, now, it just means, I will try drinks I normally wouldn't and have wine with dinner, and definitely get coffee drinks and milkshakes. But, as a lot of people have mentioned, it is not for everyone.:) Oh, and if I want a floater, I order it 1st, then 5 minutes later get the drink and pour the floater on myself.

On our last Carnival cruise, I suggested that he enjoy one from the coffee bar. You'd think I was asking him to donate a kidney. No way was he buying a coffee! He could just drink the stuff from up in the buffet for free! :rolleyes:

Your post made me laugh out loud! :D

I can't believe OP has made me seriously considering purchasing Cheers for my upcoming cruise! I'm not a heavy drinker by any stretch and I'm also a CPA so I realize financially this is completely illogical for me. Without Cheers I probably wouldn't buy any drinks on my cruise, so now I'll be spending $300 I otherwise wouldn't have spent. For me, putting money on my S&S card to "prepay" for drinks wouldn't work. Knowing I can get that money back at the end of the cruise, I still wouldn't buy any drinks. :rolleyes:

After reading OP's post, I'm now looking at this from her perspective. I always want to order drinks, but I never do. I get one vacation a year, why not enjoy it? I may not get $300 worth of drinks, but I'll still be getting my money's worth! To me, the enjoyment of having some drinks and not worrying about the bar bill will probably be worth the $300.

If it were strictly about the $$, I wouldn't cruise at all. I go solo, so I'm already paying more per-person just to get on the ship than most other people! For me, that solo supplement (as much as I hate it) is the cost of my enjoyment. Same for Cheers, I believe will be the case.

Not to mention the other perks I have thought about while reading this thread. If I get a drink I don't like, I won't feel like I need to finish it anyway. And when I get a drink, I won't nurse it to the point it gets warm and nasty after an hour! If I finish my drink quickly, I can just get another! :) The same goes for bottled water I take ashore. I typically use my free Platinum water all cruise long and drink it sparingly. With Cheers I'll be able to get a fresh bottle every day.

Thanks OP for providing the new perspective for penny-pinchers like myself! :cool: The jury's still out on whether I'll actually buy it, but I think I'm going to take the plunge. What scares me is I think I'm going to like it, so I'll have to buy it every time I cruise from now on haha! :D

Your post made me laugh out loud! :D

I can't believe OP has made me seriously considering purchasing Cheers for my upcoming cruise! I'm not a heavy drinker by any stretch and I'm also a CPA so I realize financially this is completely illogical for me. Without Cheers I probably wouldn't buy any drinks on my cruise, so now I'll be spending $300 I otherwise wouldn't have spent. For me, putting money on my S&S card to "prepay" for drinks wouldn't work. Knowing I can get that money back at the end of the cruise, I still wouldn't buy any drinks. :rolleyes:

After reading OP's post, I'm now looking at this from her perspective. I always want to order drinks, but I never do. I get one vacation a year, why not enjoy it? I may not get $300 worth of drinks, but I'll still be getting my money's worth! To me, the enjoyment of having some drinks and not worrying about the bar bill will probably be worth the $300.

If it were strictly about the $$, I wouldn't cruise at all. I go solo, so I'm already paying more per-person just to get on the ship than most other people! For me, that solo supplement (as much as I hate it) is the cost of my enjoyment. Same for Cheers, I believe will be the case.

Not to mention the other perks I have thought about while reading this thread. If I get a drink I don't like, I won't feel like I need to finish it anyway. And when I get a drink, I won't nurse it to the point it gets warm and nasty after an hour! If I finish my drink quickly, I can just get another! :) The same goes for bottled water I take ashore. I typically use my free Platinum water all cruise long and drink it sparingly. With Cheers I'll be able to get a fresh bottle every day.

Thanks OP for providing the new perspective for penny-pinchers like myself! :cool: The jury's still out on whether I'll actually buy it, but I think I'm going to take the plunge. What scares me is I think I'm going to like it, so I'll have to buy it every time I cruise from now on haha! :D

I love reading this!

I'm pretty sure I will never cruise without Cheers now. Being able to grab bottles of water WAS really nice. Even my husband agrees it was worth it. I'll just factor Cheers into the initial cost of booking from now on. It so greatly enhanced our experience that it's worth it.

Yep.

Except that he would instead spend $0 without Cheers so we would be $50 ahead.

I'm trying to get the dude to relax and that is worth more than $50 per day to me.

I kind of get what you're saying but I am wondering if the "Carnival Cash Bar" would not be a better option for you. If you were to take what is normally consumed and add a few more to the total and go from there. If I understand correctly it's the same use it or lose it.

I too am really glad this thread has picked up momentum. While I am one the cheapest people you meet, splurging for Cheers package makes sense to us.

It's nice to be able to get the specialty coffees (even though I like the free coffee in buffet), it's nice to pick up a powerade and have it in the room for the mornings that I drank too much (and prevents the hassle of me packing powdered gatorade to mix in bottles), when you can find the coconut water, it's great, getting the better water with dinner is awesome, and just being able to grab a water bottle and take it to the room is great. Even though we'll still likely order a package of water for the room.

Plus, we usually pay for everything far in advance. So when I order drinks with the cheers package I will typically tip a dollar. If service was great, maybe more than that. So the staff also benefits from me getting the package as well.

Since my wife and I don't always get a drink at the same time, it's easy for us to order a drink, then the other order a shot if we want to make our own double and split the drink. That is convenient.

I think what those who suggest, "what about adding cruise cash, etc, for what you usually drink" don't really get that the usual changes. There are some people whose usual may change for the worse with Cheers, as they stress to get their money's worth (I don't get this, it's so easy to get your money's worth if you enjoy drinking at all to me).

Then there are people like OP's husband and me. I am one who, on my first Carnival cruise, and only without Cheers, spent about $300 on alcohol on boat. With Cheers, I drink exactly what I want and it's well over what I pay. But I'd never drink even half of what Cheers costs myself if not paying for it. Never would, never could.

I do prefer top shelf. The dollar limit on Cheers was a bummer before so the new Cheers has me very excited!

We have never sought out a drink we didn't want because of Cheers but both my husband and especially me actually drink what we want with Cheers. If you looked at my purchase history on the first cruise, you would say, "yeah Cheers won't be worth it for you" and I would've told you I was fine, getting what I wanted, etc, because I convinced myself of that at the time, but having Cheers changed my perspective totally. Edit - to be clear, we way more than get our money's worth, even before the newly enhanced Cheers and will likely order more expensive drinks (over the old limit) and coffees now too.

Edited by berrieh

I know we will not break even on the Cheers package on our Vista cruise on Jan 22 2016. I will certainly do my part but my better half will not keep up her share. My bet is we will fall short a hundred plus dollars short. That being said on our May cruise on NCL we had the ultimate beverage package and never had to worry what the bill was going to be at the end of the cruise. We are going to go for it.

I know we will not break even on the Cheers package on our Vista cruise on Jan 22 2016. I will certainly do my part but my better half will not keep up her share. My bet is we will fall short a hundred plus dollars short. That being said on our May cruise on NCL we had the ultimate beverage package and never had to worry what the bill was going to be at the end of the cruise. We are going to go for it.

That's great, but I hope the cruise is in 2017!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I posted many pages back and I am so glad this post has remained so positive.

I think some people still don't get it. We have already purchased CHEERS for our upcoming cruise. There have been many times while cruising that I have WANTED a drink, but didn't order one or nursed one for way too long. We have been buying coffee for the last few cruises, so adding them to CHEERS really tipped the scales in purchasing. We would usually just buy one but could have drank two. Previously, we would order a couple of bottles from bon voyage and I would get bottomless bubbles to get juice as mixers. I would put some of the alcohol in a water bottle and mix my own while on lido. (Sort of felt like a criminal, but all was legally purchased.) We would lug bottled water and soft drinks on for hubby. We will now be able to travel with one less suitcase.

It would cost around $574 (5 day cruise) if we did the Cheers package and that's if we bought it in advance. The prices goes up to $54.95 if bought on board.

My husband and I are total light weights. More than 3 drinks per day would have me dancing on tables and that wouldn't be a pretty sight! LOL!!!:eek:

I bought 4, 4 packs of beer ($26.40 x 4 - includes tax) and the Barcardi Mixer package with 6 coke ($93.50 includes tax) via the Funship to be delivered to our cabin. Total costs came out to around $200.00

I may buy a bottle of wine ($27 + tax) and then we'll do some type of fruity drink, just to have a souvenir cup, the first day of the cruise.

Whatever is "free" to drink on the cruise is what we will be drinking. I just like the idea of paying for things in advance if I can help it and again, we are light weights. We aren't into specialty coffees (the hubster only drinks black coffee), sports drinks, etc.

Gosh, we sound so boring...LOL!!

And just to clarify--I predict he will drink a LOT MORE than his typical at home (where he has one beer or one glass of wine per night). He will probably have 3-4 drinks per day, plus bottled water. Maybe more, but I'm not going to know until we are there.

While we won't break even, we will have a much more relaxed and enjoyable vacation because of the Cheers package. That's worth $500 to me.

And maybe we will surprise ourselves and find that we DO break even.

It's our 25th anniversary and we are going to relax, have our first kid-free vacation in years, and not think about how much every drink costs because we have already paid for it.

While the husband might not get his $50 worth, it sounds like you can probably make up for it! And chances are that he will have more than the 1 or 2 per day.

The best thing about the all inclusive is that it does make it easier to enjoy the cruise without worrying about paying for each drink, whether it's coffee, liquor, soda, water. This is coming from someone that does consider if I want to spend money on the next drink. Removing that from the equation is almost priceless!!

It would cost around $574 (5 day cruise) if we did the Cheers package and that's if we bought it in advance. The prices goes up to $54.95 if bought on board.

My husband and I are total light weights. More than 3 drinks per day would have me dancing on tables and that wouldn't be a pretty sight! LOL!!!:eek:

I bought 4, 4 packs of beer ($26.40 x 4 - includes tax) and the Barcardi Mixer package with 6 coke ($93.50 includes tax) via the Funship to be delivered to our cabin. Total costs came out to around $200.00

I may buy a bottle of wine ($27 + tax) and then we'll do some type of fruity drink, just to have a souvenir cup, the first day of the cruise.

Whatever is "free" to drink on the cruise is what we will be drinking. I just like the idea of paying for things in advance if I can help it and again, we are light weights. We aren't into specialty coffees (the hubster only drinks black coffee), sports drinks, etc.

Gosh, we sound so boring...LOL!!

Not boring at all....its your drinking pattern and if you aren't going to come close to $575, why would you pay for it? That makes no sense. I took a cruise a few months ago. Cheers for me would be worth it, but my DW doesn't come close. She may have a cocktail in the morning (Mimosa), MAYBE a Pina Colada in afternoon and a glass of wine for dinner. That's on the high end. I think my bar bill for the cruise was $320. I don't understand the mindset of "without the Cheers package, I wont try other drinks because I may not like them"....I am on vacation, I am not worried about an $8-$10 drink....if I don't like it, I am dumping it. If I have to worry about wasting $10, then I probably shouldn't be on vacation

Edited by First and Ten