Cheers: Not about breaking even for us

zabaco

You can state the brand, or say ultra premium. This is based on the following link:

http://www.cruisemapper.com/wiki/719-carnival-cruise-alcohol-drink-prices

agree with what Kyle is saying....for example, if you ask for a Johnny Walker and water. Most bar tenders will grab the red label....the "premium" is considered the black label....the "ultra premium" is considered the Blue label....never go wrong when you ask for it by name

ie: Johnny Walker Black and water

or

"Kettle One Martini"

Edited by First and Ten

Yes it's the same one from November, 2015. Here's a link to Cruise Critic's list of prices:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=813

Looks the same to me.

zydeocruiser has a wonderful list for beverages as well as the American Menu with lots of pictures posted on her website. This list has all of the drinks and prices copied directly from the menus onboard.

http://www.zydecocruiser.net/Carnival-Bar-Menu/CarnivalCruiseBarMenu.htm

Hope this helps.

But understand these are the same people who spend hours a day hoping for a $20 price drop, try to smuggle booze in their luggage, race to get on the ship as soon as possible as not to miss a feeding, and reduce their gratuities on those days they don't dine in the MDR and complain that Carnival raised the price of a 12-pack of water by $1. !

And you're point is? LOLOLOLOLOL :):):):)

Here's one from November 2015. I don't think prices have risen since that time.

http://www.cruisemapper.com/wiki/711-carnival-cruise-bar-menu-prices

It might contain the exact same list as above, but also has reasonable recent food menus.

Others have also stated the the prices are the same, now, as on this list. I only question it as I have printed an Alchemy Bar menu that someone posted and it gave prices $9.95, for all martinis, just as they come, not upgraded. This one says $8.95. Also, someone else posted that it is even higher now than the $9.95.:confused: I am going to try to pay more attention on my next cruise. For some reason, I never remember certain things, once I get home. Guess I am just having too good of a time to remember every detail! Drats! I have promised myself I am going to take notes each day, next time. :)

Others have also stated the the prices are the same, now, as on this list. I only question it as I have printed an Alchemy Bar menu that someone posted and it gave prices $9.95, for all martinis, just as they come, not upgraded. This one says $8.95. Also, someone else posted that it is even higher now than the $9.95.:confused: I am going to try to pay more attention on my next cruise. For some reason, I never remember certain things, once I get home. Guess I am just having too good of a time to remember every detail! Drats! I have promised myself I am going to take notes each day, next time. :)

My Alchemy Bar drink on the Sunshine -- The Youthful and Bold Berritini -- was $10.50.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Sadly, vacation is over--I am writing this reply from my sofa at home--we are back from our fantastic cruise and it was a great anniversary trip!

The verdict is....yes, we absolutely loved Cheers. Just as I suspected, my husband relaxed and ordered drinks frequently. His behavior was quite different from the past cruises where he wouldn't drink at all, or maybe just a beer here and there.

According to the sign and sail print out, we ordered beverages just under 90 times on our 5 day cruise. Some of those were bottles of water but the majority were a variety of alcohol drinks. Frozen drinks, champagne, wine, Alchemy bar...we tried it all!

My sweet husband would order a pina colada and ask for "light on the rum." Bless. But he enjoyed every drink rather than thinking about each purchase.

I drank champagne frequently during the day. We had wine with dinner every night. We tried out concoctions at the Alchemy Bar. I was able to say "I don't like this one!" and order something else--not having to force myself to drink something just because I paid for it.

Yes, Cheers greatly enhanced our vacation.

I'm confident I broke even (the Chandon champagne I enjoyed would have been $9.50 per glass!), and while my husband didn't drink as much as I did, he loosened up and enjoyed himself.

I think we may have actually BOTH come out ahead--since those Alchemy drinks are not cheap.

What I can guarantee is that he would have had zero Alchemy drinks or frozen drinks without Cheers. And instead, he would often suggest getting a drink.

Thanks to everyone for your input! Cheers made our vacation much merrier. I'm pretty sure he will want it every time we cruise from now on.

I am so glad to hear your husband was able to relax, enjoy himself, and not worry about the dollar signs!! I can't wait until I can do the same. I'm tempted to order it on my next cruise instead of waiting until my ladies cruise. However, since I'm cruising with all my kids, I doubt I will.

Sadly, vacation is over--I am writing this reply from my sofa at home--we are back from our fantastic cruise and it was a great anniversary trip!

The verdict is....yes, we absolutely loved Cheers. Just as I suspected, my husband relaxed and ordered drinks frequently. His behavior was quite different from the past cruises where he wouldn't drink at all, or maybe just a beer here and there.

According to the sign and sail print out, we ordered beverages just under 90 times on our 5 day cruise. Some of those were bottles of water but the majority were a variety of alcohol drinks. Frozen drinks, champagne, wine, Alchemy bar...we tried it all!

My sweet husband would order a pina colada and ask for "light on the rum." Bless. But he enjoyed every drink rather than thinking about each purchase.

I drank champagne frequently during the day. We had wine with dinner every night. We tried out concoctions at the Alchemy Bar. I was able to say "I don't like this one!" and order something else--not having to force myself to drink something just because I paid for it.

I'm confident I broke even (the Chandon champagne I enjoyed would have been $9.50 per glass!), and while my husband didn't drink as much as I did, he loosened up and enjoyed himself.

I think we may have actually BOTH come out ahead--since those Alchemy drinks are not cheap.

What I can guarantee is that he would have had zero Alchemy drinks or frozen drinks without Cheers. And instead, he would often suggest getting a drink.

Thanks to everyone for your input! Cheers made our vacation much merrier. I'm pretty sure he will want it every time we cruise from now on.

SO happy your plan worked and you had a great trip! YAY!

Zabaco, so glad you enjoyed your cruise! We always do Cheers!, or I should say, since it 1st came out. I don't know if you have read all the responses to your 1st post, but, you helped a lot of people think of it in a different way. Instead of worrying about breaking even, to just look at it like making the whole cruise all-inclusive. Also, hope you do a review of your cruise. And if you kept any drink menus as to prices and brands of wine offered in MDR. Want to help a friend realize the value of Cheers! And the prices most have submitted are out of date. Welcome home and hope you get to go again soon!:D

If you don't feel you will break even, how about putting the total you would spend on Cheers on your S&S acct. Then drink as you please without worrying. If you don't use it all apply the difference to other onboard charges. I treat my trips as all inclusive by paying up front for any and everything I can think of and padding the onboard acct before I leave. Once vacation starts I am pretty much on easy street. Just don't see the onject of overpaying just for the sake of overpaying.

Confession: I skipped pages 4-? of the original post and just searched for your posts to get to the end chapter and your "conclusions" about the cheers package. Kudos to you for your graceful replies, and your willingness to find a reasonable way to enjoy (and have your husband enjoy) your experience. Nothing wrong with that, and more people should have that approach.

I'm very close to ordering a cheers for my wife and me. I could definitely come out ahead, though we'd be a little into the red for her. You've given me something to think about.

Cheers, and here's to another 25 years.

I have read all of this and I keep changing my mind with every logical argument...and the logic works both ways!! The comments about trying the lemondrop and the Alchemy bar make me want to buy and "putting the money on the account and drink whatever you want" make me want to not buy! Decisions, decisions!! :D Only 35 days to decide!!

PS. Zabaco...I'm glad you had a great time! I hope you have 25 more fabulous years!

Edited by cmecruise1962

If you don't feel you will break even, how about putting the total you would spend on Cheers on your S&S acct. Then drink as you please without worrying. If you don't use it all apply the difference to other onboard charges. I treat my trips as all inclusive by paying up front for any and everything I can think of and padding the onboard acct before I leave. Once vacation starts I am pretty much on easy street. Just don't see the onject of overpaying just for the sake of overpaying.

That would not work for us, as we always get our moneys worth with Cheers! But, it would sure be a good idea for the posters that say one of a couple rarely drinks. Then the drinker could have "no guilt " drinks. Glad you posted this as introduces even another way to look at it. :)

We must be married to brothers from a different mother! My husband is the most generous person ever to walk the earth when it comes to anything I want. But for himself...not so much. After reading your original post I wrote down the drinks we usually order - 10am Pina Colada, 2 pm Pina Colada, 1 glass of wine with dinner and 1-2 drinks in a music venue after dinner. Then I wrote down the drinks if they were completely free that we would most likely order: 2 capucchinos before breakfast, 10am Pina Colada, 2 beers with lunch, 2pm pina colada, cocktail before dinner, 2 glasses of wine with dinner, after dinner coffee with Bailey's, 2-4 cocktails at a music venue in the evening. I showed him the list and the price of each of the drinks and asked which looked like the most fun. He was completely sold on the $800 Cheers! We're now really looking forward to our "order what, when, wherever you like" cruise. Like your husband, I think I'll see an even more relaxed honey! Thank you so much for shining a completely different light on this. And by the way, Cheers!

I was planning on putting aside a drinking budget instead of ordering cheers, but after reading all the responses, I know we will avoid ordering what we want to save money. This forum has convinced us cheers is the way to go for us too! Thank you! Now if I could just figure out a way to prepay for it using discounted gift cards...

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I was planning on putting aside a drinking budget instead of ordering cheers, but after reading all the responses, I know we will avoid ordering what we want to save money. This forum has convinced us cheers is the way to go for us too! Thank you! Now if I could just figure out a way to prepay for it using discounted gift cards...

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I also bought enough gift cards to pay for Cheers on our cruise and I also hope that they change where you can use them. Would really like to save the money by not having to buy it on board.

What a great thread !!!!!! I have read every word and now have a huge decision to make . Do I purchase the Cheers Package for my cruise on the Vista ???? I don't think there is a wrong answer

Good for you and congrats on 25 yrs!!! I have the exact same situation as you!! My husband will hardly order a drink if he pays by the drink. We are a large group going next summer and I figure not only do you tend to drink more with friends but we have 4 sea days in all. This way buying the pkg I know he will relax and enjoy it so much more as he has in the past not having to think about paying for the drinks. Now that it includes bottled water and specialty coffees and milkshakes its very likely you can hit the break even point ! Have a great cruise!!

We must be married to brothers from a different mother! My husband is the most generous person ever to walk the earth when it comes to anything I want. But for himself...not so much. After reading your original post I wrote down the drinks we usually order - 10am Pina Colada, 2 pm Pina Colada, 1 glass of wine with dinner and 1-2 drinks in a music venue after dinner. Then I wrote down the drinks if they were completely free that we would most likely order: 2 capucchinos before breakfast, 10am Pina Colada, 2 beers with lunch, 2pm pina colada, cocktail before dinner, 2 glasses of wine with dinner, after dinner coffee with Bailey's, 2-4 cocktails at a music venue in the evening. I showed him the list and the price of each of the drinks and asked which looked like the most fun. He was completely sold on the $800 Cheers! We're now really looking forward to our "order what, when, wherever you like" cruise. Like your husband, I think I'll see an even more relaxed honey! Thank you so much for shining a completely different light on this. And by the way, Cheers!

And now this!! Swinging back toward buying it!! LOL I love the specialty coffees and my daughter loves milk shakes and smoothies! And while we can bring on wine (or even alcohol) in the ports in the Mediterranean, we can't bring enough to be able to enjoy Baileys and coffee after dinner, Alchemy Bar concoctions, pina coladas or beer at the pool...all the variety available!!

I told Kat I was going to start keeping a count to see how many times I feel like I should get it vs. how many times I feel I shouldn't, and decide a week before the cruise!

Similar situation, my Mom, in her 70s, is constantly thinking about cost, the upcoming cruise is her Mother's Day gift but she is still budgeting her on-board spending, i'll buy Cheers that way she can have her morning bloody mary and evening martini and maybe some specialty coffee and fruity fun concoctions and not have to think about it and just focus on the fun of being on vacation. We did Cheers on another cruise and we actually did break even, we tried lots of new drinks at the Alchemy bar. We said we wouldn't do it again but now that it includes coffee and water and pricier spirits it is a no brainier for us.