Cheers: Not about breaking even for us

zabaco

Beer is cheap. Go with premium liquors, double them up, and it adds up REAL quick. Mixed drinks and specialty cocktails are generally well over $10/ea. The doubles I was getting, I imagine, would run in the $20+ range, each. 5 drinks or less a day and you are breaking even on Cheers. If I only drank beer, I would probably skip Cheers, too.

Not a big liquor drinker. I will have a couple of Bloody Mary's in the morning, and the occasional Pina Colada or Miami Vice, but I have never paid over $10 for one. Looking at my last cruise receipts the most I paid for a drink was a Margarita and it was $8.95. We usually switch to beer by 11am and stay with that the rest of the day. I might have a glass of wine with dinner but typically when the sun goes down--I'm done drinking.

But yes, If I drank liquor as my choice of drink, I would do Cheers. But $297 vs $800 that is a big difference.

Beer is cheap. Go with premium liquors, double them up, and it adds up REAL quick. Mixed drinks and specialty cocktails are generally well over $10/ea. The doubles I was getting, I imagine, would run in the $20+ range, each. 5 drinks or less a day and you are breaking even on Cheers. If I only drank beer, I would probably skip Cheers, too.

I only drink beer for the most part....a 16 oz Coor's Light was $6.86 on Sunshine last month. If you drink 8 a day, you've already broken even for that day.

With the exception of one cruise, I've always ordered Cheers and for the first time have pre-ordered it for my cruise in October.

I drank 77 beers on the last cruise..YES, Cheers was worth it!

I sort of see your point with having it prepaid and not worrying about it... but to spend hundreds on something you may or may not use... doesnt sit with me

why not purchase carnival gift cards or via the fun shop purchase drink credits, or for that matter cruise cash, its applied to your account, you're in credit status, and it too would then be paid in advance and not have to worry.

with the cruise cash, you would spend what you do on drinks, with the balance refunded, rather than spend 800 or so dollars and drink probably half of it..

i see better ways of doing it... unless im totally missing the ship on this one

For me, the key point in prepaying vs. buying Cheers is this:

"with the cruise cash, you would spend what you do on drinks, with the balance refunded"

If I know I can get the money back at the end of the cruise, I still may not drink since I know any money I don't spend will end up back in my pocket. This is what leads to my stingy behavior of not buying drinks I want.

With Cheers, there is no money back at the end of the cruise and there are no charges against my S&S account. To me, that is the appeal of Cheers (especially the updated Cheers program) and what will allow me to freely buy any drink I may desire or wish to try. (As a bonus, with Cheers I can try new drinks I otherwise would never have paid for!)

It's all psychological. I'd prefer to pay up front and have the freedom to buy any drink I may want and not have to worry about a bar tab or how much money I can get refunded to me at the end of the cruise. If I don't recoup the $ amount I paid for Cheer in the drinks I order, then I figure the extra money I spent is the "cost" of my freedom to order drinks as I please.

Hopefully this makes sense. I can definitely see how this doesn't make any sense to someone who doesn't have the same train of thought. In fact, I used to be bewildered as well until I read OP's post. :)

"with the cruise cash, you would spend what you do on drinks, with the balance refunded"

If I know I can get the money back at the end of the cruise, I still may not drink since I know any money I don't spend will end up back in my pocket. This is what leads to my stingy behavior of not buying drinks I want.

With Cheers, there is no money back at the end of the cruise and there are no charges against my S&S account. To me, that is the appeal of Cheers (especially the updated Cheers program) and what will allow me to freely buy any drink I may desire or wish to try. (As a bonus, with Cheers I can try new drinks I otherwise would never have paid for!)

It's all psychological. I'd prefer to pay up front and have the freedom to buy any drink I may want and not have to worry about a bar tab or how much money I can get refunded to me at the end of the cruise. If I don't recoup the $ amount I paid for Cheer in the drinks I order, then I figure the extra money I spent is the "cost" of my freedom to order drinks as I please.

Hopefully this makes sense. I can definitely see how this doesn't make any sense to someone who doesn't have the same train of thought. In fact, I used to be bewildered as well until I read OP's post. :)

Makes perfect sense to me and I fully agree with you. The huge draw for many is the "all inclusive" aspect of a cruise. There is ALWAYS cheaper options... but you pay for peace of mind and relaxation. Looking a drink prices is not relaxing to me, where prepaying and thinking about getting your moneys worth is not relaxing to others. Glad we all have options!

I can tell you that my entire family ended up with drink packages on our last cruise and didn't regret it one bit. They loved seeing "$0.00" on the tabs and ordered much more than they normally would have. Not to get their moneys worth, but just because.... why not? Sure, I'll have another!!!!

We definitely enjoyed our trip so much more due to Cheers. I know *I* got my money's worth, and even though my husband may not have personally, it was worth every penny for him to loosen up and try new things.

It wasn't about the money--it was about the feeling of being all inclusive. I will gladly pay extra for that feeling.

If you have never traveled with someone who says things like "let's skip breakfast and eat an early lunch" to save a buck, you may not understand what it is like to feel like you can't spend any money.

Cheers removed that feeling for us.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Agreed....everyone is different....my situation, it just doesn't pay. My last cruise (no alchemy bar), my bar/specialty drinks came to $320....DW just doesn't drink that much, outside of water (did purchase a 12 pack of water for $3.99). In my situation, I would have lost about $155 using the Cheers package....If you feel you are going to be close, Cheers is a good investment....If someone just doesn't drink that much, pay as you go probably works out better....The one thing I notice about how people "stress" about to get Cheers if I will get my monies worth, or if I don't get Cheers, I have to worry about what I am ordering....LOL....that seems to be a lot of "stress" to go on vacation....RELAX and just enjoy!!!! :cool:

Well, OP was pointing out that dorm people purchase Cheers not just as a financial decision (I'm guessing most people come pretty close to breaking even with the new Cheers, frankly...anyone who is super not coming close and just doesn't enjoy drinks probably still doesn't buy it) but as a way to RELAX.

I know it helps us relax and order what we want. We didn't on our first cruise (well, my husband/then BF did sometimes....I was always waiting till I felt I could or looking for the best deal, because once I start drinking, I know I may want another if it's good, etc.). But with Cheers, I've always gotten my money's worth even before it was enhanced, yet before it, I always worried about my husband (the BF) running up a large bill and never dreamed of running up more than $200 of my own.

Last time, with Cheers, I didn't force myself to drink anything. We also brought wine, got free steakhouse wine, had free flowing wine with chef's table, and my bar bill (not counting coffees and waters that I did pay for on cruise!) would've been over $500. With the price restrictions lifted, I'm going to get more money's worth as there were a few glasses of wine at the steakhouse I didn't order due to that, but that was before enhanced!

Without Cheers, I spent $140. Way less, but I was always stressed and turning down drinks while my husband enjoyed. He spent about the same either way and drank a little fancier with Cheers so enjoyed that more. Some of us just can't relax without knowing the cost. Cheers definitely helps me relax. Yes, I drink more than I would but I never feel stressed about it. I think it depends what stresses you out, and that stress or mitigating it can easily be a factor in buying Cheers.

I was looking at Carnivals website, it say's the unused portion of "Cruise Cash" will be forfeited. I'm I missing something here?

Edited by tdh8359

Well, OP was pointing out that dorm people purchase Cheers not just as a financial decision (I'm guessing most people come pretty close to breaking even with the new Cheers, frankly...anyone who is super not coming close and just doesn't enjoy drinks probably still doesn't buy it) but as a way to RELAX.

I know it helps us relax and order what we want. We didn't on our first cruise (well, my husband/then BF did sometimes....I was always waiting till I felt I could or looking for the best deal, because once I start drinking, I know I may want another if it's good, etc.). But with Cheers, I've always gotten my money's worth even before it was enhanced, yet before it, I always worried about my husband (the BF) running up a large bill and never dreamed of running up more than $200 of my own.

Last time, with Cheers, I didn't force myself to drink anything. We also brought wine, got free steakhouse wine, had free flowing wine with chef's table, and my bar bill (not counting coffees and waters that I did pay for on cruise!) would've been over $500. With the price restrictions lifted, I'm going to get more money's worth as there were a few glasses of wine at the steakhouse I didn't order due to that, but that was before enhanced!

Without Cheers, I spent $140. Way less, but I was always stressed and turning down drinks while my husband enjoyed. He spent about the same either way and drank a little fancier with Cheers so enjoyed that more. Some of us just can't relax without knowing the cost. Cheers definitely helps me relax. Yes, I drink more than I would but I never feel stressed about it. I think it depends what stresses you out, and that stress or mitigating it can easily be a factor in buying Cheers.

Berri, I get it, its an individual decision, there is no right or wrong decision....If it works for you and the majority of posters who get it, that is awesome, keep doing it....In the spirit of debates and opinions, just adding my 2 cents. I am on vacation, so I don't worry about "wasting" $10 on a cocktail. I don't "get that". If I have to worry about a $10 cocktail on my vacation, I probably shouldn't be on vacation. I don't understand the mindset of worrying about everything spent on a cruise down to a $10 cocktail, but then getting Cheers....What if you don't come close to the $800 Cheers package for the 2 people and bar bill/coffee/shakes only add up to $500. These people worried about $10, do they lose it as they are getting off the ship because they "blew" $300? :rolleyes:

Edited by First and Ten

I would love to get the Cheers package, but I'm the lush in the family...unfortunately, my DH doesn't drink much at all, even on vacay. So, while I could probably drink the heck out of the package, I can't drink enough for two people and I think they make all adults in the room get it.

soo, I will be Cheers package-less :(

enjoy your package though, hope he lets loose and enjoys it too!

After further review I have changed my plan or our upcoming 6 day cruise on the Vista. Three of the days we will in port and off the ship for most of the day. The cost of the Cheers package is $689 which includes the Gratuity. I plan to buy a liter of Vodka and a liter of Whiskey from Bon Voyage for

for $160 that will cover our pre- dinner drinks for the week and then some. That leaves us with over $500 to cover our drinks for the Balance of the cruise

After further review I have changed my plan or our upcoming 6 day cruise on the Vista. Three of the days we will in port and off the ship for most of the day. The cost of the Cheers package is $689 which includes the Gratuity. I plan to buy a liter of Vodka and a liter of Whiskey from Bon Voyage for

for $160 that will cover our pre- dinner drinks for the week and then some. That leaves us with over $500 to cover our drinks for the Balance of the cruise

We bought bottles on our 1st cruise (cheers wasn't available then). We have never done it again. It's such a huge PITA to have to run back to the room everytime you want a drink. We are never in the room so it turned out to be a total waste of $. My hats off to the people who make that work but the "savings" didn't offset the inconvenience.

I see both sides of the argument. Personally for us my wife would never come close to breaking even with cheers. She has a glass of wine with dinner and maybe a cocktail in the comedy show. On sea days she may have a tropical drink on deck. I think she had 3 on our last 7 night. I think her alcohol added up to about $165 total. I on the other hand would break even or make out slightly. I mainly drink beer, but occasionally will have a cocktail. At dinner I'll have a glass of wine. I think I spent about $390. Throw in we bought 2 12 packs of water and our total was about $563.

Now if I had cheers would I have had a few more drinks, probably. But enough to justify $250+, no way. Myself personally I would be more stressed out knowing I had to drink more to break even, then just relaxing and being a little aware of how much I am spending. My wife and I ate in the steakhouse one night. This money we save can go towards that and cover most of our ship gratuities.

I have zero problem with people who make enough money to not care about $200-$300, honestly good for you. Unfortunately for me, I need to be much more budget minded. No $300 won't break me, but I also would rather have that in my pocket than Carnival Cruise Line's.

We bought bottles on our 1st cruise (cheers wasn't available then). We have never done it again. It's such a huge PITA to have to run back to the room everytime you want a drink. We are never in the room so it turned out to be a total waste of $. My hats off to the people who make that work but the "savings" didn't offset the inconvenience.

My plan is to buy the bottle from Bon Voyage and when we leave the room take a big drink with us. Then we will buy refills from the bar while we are out and about and refill from the bottle as we get back close to our cabin. I'm not going to worry about spending money at the bars, but if we can save some money while we are in the cabin, fine. Also, we will drink on the balcony at night.

But for us there is no way we will spend $800 on drinks in a week. Carnival makes way more per hour than I do, so I'll keep as much as I can without being a total cheapskate. :p

Berri, I get it, its an individual decision, there is no right or wrong decision....If it works for you and the majority of posters who get it, that is awesome, keep doing it....In the spirit of debates and opinions, just adding my 2 cents. I am on vacation, so I don't worry about "wasting" $10 on a cocktail. I don't "get that". If I have to worry about a $10 cocktail on my vacation, I probably shouldn't be on vacation. I don't understand the mindset of worrying about everything spent on a cruise down to a $10 cocktail, but then getting Cheers....What if you don't come close to the $800 Cheers package for the 2 people and bar bill/coffee/shakes only add up to $500. These people worried about $10, do they lose it as they are getting off the ship because they "blew" $300? :rolleyes:

For me, I feel like if I don't account for the money for my drinks, we can spend it on my DH's drinks, excursions, dining, etc, he wants. I will always sacrifice anything primarily for me first. Also, I could just save the money. I guess I don't feel I'm "worth" it in the moment sometimes? But I'm happy with the overall cost of Cheers and not stressing about $10 because of just the money. It's more about the act of constantly spending on my own personal wants.

I actually don't worry about every little dollar. That's not particularly the issue. It's more about the self indulgence. With Cheers, I only have to indulge once!

Edited by berrieh