First time Alaska Land/Cruise

Patty Kott

Hi would really appreciate some suggestions.. I am already booked for late August of 2017 with Celebrity. In talking with people who already have done land/cruise and reading what a lot of people are saying on this site Princess cruise line goes through Glazier Bay and it is a much better experience? Also would like to know twhich cruise line Princess or Celbrity has the better land packages? Would love to know best things to see on land. I was told by Celebrity agent because we are doing land first that we would need to fly right into Alaska. The date if we stay with Celebrity we leave is Aug 21st and it is the Alaska Southern Glacier Cruise. The land portion is 4 nights. When I looked at Princess it looked like it was cheaper and offered more, but I am not really sure. Would really appreciate any help or suggestions. Thank you!

Hi would really appreciate some suggestions.. I am already booked for late August of 2017 with Celebrity. In talking with people who already have done land/cruise and reading what a lot of people are saying on this site Princess cruise line goes through Glazier Bay and it is a much better experience? Also would like to know twhich cruise line Princess or Celbrity has the better land packages? Would love to know best things to see on land. I was told by Celebrity agent because we are doing land first that we would need to fly right into Alaska. The date if we stay with Celebrity we leave is Aug 21st and it is the Alaska Southern Glacier Cruise. The land portion is 4 nights. When I looked at Princess it looked like it was cheaper and offered more, but I am not really sure. Would really appreciate any help or suggestions. Thank you!

Princess will definitely give more choices of dates. Princess currently runs three ships in Alaska and probably the same in 2017.As to which is better is a personal decision.

Princess will definitely give more choices of dates. Princess currently runs three ships in Alaska and probably the same in 2017.As to which is better is a personal decision.

Actually Princess runs 6 ships in Alaska, and Holland America runs 7. That is why it is commonly said HAL and Princess have the most experience and options in Alaska, including on the land tour side.

Actually Princess runs 6 ships in Alaska, and Holland America runs 7. That is why it is commonly said HAL and Princess have the most experience and options in Alaska, including on the land tour side.

Princess yes has 6 ships in Alaska. Only three run NS & SB from Vancouver .

Not all HAL ships run a NB & SB bound from Vancouver with land tours.

Frankly, you need to back up and start over. You have booked something, without knowing important details. It isn't enough, to read through a "list" and randomly pick. At least you have time to make changes easily and I'll assume you have not purchased any air?

Head to your library and get Fodor's Alaska and Frommer's Alaska or similar, along with Alaska Port of Calls books, there are at least 3 good ones. Take some time, and read them in depth. Find out about distinct areas in Alaska and determine what YOU want out of your trip. With packages, you most are just point to point, with usually Denali. In my opinion, there is NO point in spending all those hours in transit getting to/from there- IF you do NOT get in the park. Princess cruise tours offer a large number of these. Would you plan a trip to Disneyland and not get past Main Street? Equal to what you get with some cruise tours. Too many people way underestimate time and distances. I do NOT recommend any 4 day add on tours. Simply not enough time. I suggest a week. Realize, many tours, don't offer any time in Seward or Whittier- which both are gems to consider (you are already there). I sailed on RCI a few weeks ago- and many people were on the short add on tours- no time in Seward, and then going to Denali that day- NONE knew, it was at least 9 hours. And kicker was, they were on one of those add ons, that did NOT get into the Park. In my opinion, a very poor choice.

So educate yourself. Read trip reports. Find out about each of the ports, there are only 6 on the inside passage. Rank YOUR preferences, and know what tours you want to include.

As for glaciers- I never "rank" them since I find EACH one just an excellent scenic opportunity. I don't like the claims of "must do" related to Glacier Bay- making the other's sound like you're the looser for choosing it. I do find, however, that the add on Tracy Arm boat tour- way superior compared to the cruise ship transit. What ever your choice is, you are missing multiple others, with Alaska cruises, you see rave reviews for all of them.

Add to the mix, Celebrity has 2 of whom I consider the top 3 ship naturalists. In my opinion, even after as many times as I have been there- it's a huge advantage. They certainly enhance visitor's experience.