Chillin’ on the Ecstasy: 6/20/16 Nassau, Freeport, Pics, Food, Travelogue

CruzinScotty

Let’s start our tour out the back of the Lido:

35n0ev9.jpg

On each side is a triangular area with outdoor seating. It’s one of the main features I remembered from the Paradise because we liked this area so much. And, one deck down is the Serenity area. On the Paradise, I only remember using this area during a Camp Carnival event involving water balloons with my 6 year old. That was waaaaaaay before waterslides. LOL

You will be seeing more pictures of both of these areas. :)

Off to the right, you can see what I believe is the main parking garage/warehouse. We’re a full ship, so some cars are parked outside.

Charleston is nicknamed “The Holy City” because of all of the churches, you can see a few steeples.

Here I am in front of the Arthur Ravenel Bridge and the USS Yorktown:

21altur.jpg

Next we headed back to the cabin. With FTTF, your luggage is supposed to be delivered first. This has varied by ship. Today, our luggage was there so we got settled in a little.

I also took a few photos of the Evening Entertainment Schedule:

23h6gyg.jpg

98zy3t.jpg

The Blue Sapphire is the Main Theater, the Starlight lounge - as you can tell - is the Comedy Club. But, of interest is the fact that without a jumbotron on the Lido, they do show movies on one night. I don't know how well attended this was; we were elsewhere.

The Welcome Aboard Show and the Talent Show should always be the first and last night; but the others could be in any order depending on your cruise length and itinerary.

Our balcony is by the dock; we like when this happens because we enjoy watching them load the ship. Boy are we going to use a lot of water this week:

ali8fb.jpg

Next, we decided to get a little walking in. We thought we’d head to the Spa. We found the elevators are little confusing at the front of the ship. There are two glass elevators, but they only go from Deck 7 to Deck 12 (Empress to Sports). There are 3 lower decks of cabins. These are good for going from one public floor to another.

There are also 4 elevators in the main landing area. The two on the left were the only ones that went all the way to the Sports Deck. So, if you pushed the up arrow for elevators here and one on the right opened; you had to wait and push the button again.

We were on the Upper Deck (6). We found if we wanted to go to the Sport Deck it was easiest to walk up one flight to the Empress Deck (7). Then, we would take a glass elevator because we knew both of them went there.

There are only 2 glass elevators as opposed to 4 on the Conquest class. I we pleasantly surprised that these elevators were not usually busy or overly crowded.

We were pleasantly surprised by the size of the spa area considering the size of the ship.

Here is the gym:

2m6669e.jpg

21nmv0n.jpg

The Sauna and Steam Room were both larger than I expected. They were larger than the Sunshine:

25akbvo.jpg

The steam room actually has steam!

hwg5cl.jpg

Coming next: Muster on the Ecstasy

Edited by CruzinScotty

We walked outside for a bit. Here’s a tour boat in the harbor:

10px5cg.jpg

People are enjoying themselves:

2r6faqg.jpg

Another pool pic:

2hhn2tf.jpg

I had forgotten how much I loved those circular staircases.

Soon, it was time for Muster. This was different than any I remember. I think it was the Dream in which the entire Muster was indoors. All others have been outdoors, where the lifeboats are – I think that included the Sunshine?

Anyways, on the Ecstasy, you start the Muster Drill indoors. But, then they take you outside and up one flight of stairs to the lifeboats – so it was a combination. I will say it was more realistic; but it was also more time consuming.

At least, thankfully, the days of having to take your life jacket are long gone. But, it seems I remember on the Paradise that we didn’t leave the lounge area. It’s been 14 years; I could be wrong. I do remember wearing my life jacket that time, though.

Coming soon – Sail Away. I am working on it, please be patient. :)

Edited by CruzinScotty

great review!! I'll be on the July 23rd sailing so this is really making me vacation happy.

I love that it has the buffett with the hot dogs, fries and cheese sauce. I missed that on the ships with the Guys Burgers. Thank you for sharing that picture!!

I have 2 questions if I may ask please. I thought I read Ectasy had the hub and social media plan but carnival's website doesn't list it. So does it? :)

And where is the movie shown since there is no big screen by the pool?

Thanks!!

great review!! I'll be on the July 23rd sailing so this is really making me vacation happy.

I love that it has the buffett with the hot dogs, fries and cheese sauce. I missed that on the ships with the Guys Burgers. Thank you for sharing that picture!!

I have 2 questions if I may ask please. I thought I read Ectasy had the hub and social media plan but carnival's website doesn't list it. So does it? :)

And where is the movie shown since there is no big screen by the pool?

Thanks!!

I'm glad you are enjoying, I was just snapping pictures left and right. That's one thing I love about digital/cell phone cameras is the ability to take now and delete the duds later. ;)

I like being unplugged on a cruise, so I didn't pay much attention to the hub info or other internet options. If I had to guess, I'd say it does not have it yet.

The movies were shown in the Starlight Lounge. The is the aft Lounge where the Comedians do their shows. It is a one story lounge, but the stage is raised a little. It's pretty big, especially for this size ship. Of course, I've been on the Sunshine; so every ship has a huge comedy club in comparison. :eek:

Thanks for reading, I'll be happy to answer any other questions along the way.

Edited by CruzinScotty

Thanks!!

Here is what I read on Carnival site yesterday! I believe the social media package is available on all ships.

When will the Carnival Hub app be available on the other ships?

Within the next 12 to 18 months. The app will be available on the Carnival Paradise, July 4, 2016 and Carnival Ecstasy, July 18, 2016.

Here is what I read on Carnival site yesterday! I believe the social media package is available on all ships.

When will the Carnival Hub app be available on the other ships?

Within the next 12 to 18 months. The app will be available on the Carnival Paradise, July 4, 2016 and Carnival Ecstasy, July 18, 2016.

That is hilarious because I get OFF the Ecstasy on July 18th. Ha ha ha! Just missing it.

Thanks for the review, actually thinking of cruising out of Charleston in the next year or so! I'm subscribing to your review.

Book early. Charlston is a popular port and I couldn't a reservation a month out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My family and friends and I will be sailing on her in November. I am really enjoying your review. Can not wait to see more. Keep up the great work.

Thanks so much; I really appreciate the positive feedback. :)

Thanks for the review, actually thinking of cruising out of Charleston in the next year or so! I'm subscribing to your review.

Come on over! Charleston is a beautiful city and the Ecstasy is a great ship.

Sorry. Bumped my phone by accident. But, thanks for the review.

Instead of a butt-dial; a butt-post. I love it. :D

Book early. Charleston is a popular port and I couldn't a reservation a month out

Thanks for reading.

It's a-maze-ing: given the "unique-ness" of the embarkation/debarkation process; Charleston really is a popular port.

Edited by CruzinScotty

Thank you so much for your detailed review of the Ecstasy. I'm taking my mother on her in August and I was having a hard time finding positive reviews. This will be my 16th cruise and honestly they have all been wonderful. Since you are familiar with this port and I've never been there, I have one quick question about getting to the port if you might have an opinion on what we should do. My mother uses a rolling walker, in case that affects your opinion. Should we book the Carnival transfer or just taxi over? Thank you again for your helpful review!

Ecstasy was the first cruise ship we had ever been on ( August '07) and she is still my favorite. So happy you had a great time and look forward to your review!

Thank you. I love sharing, and am glad you are enjoying.

Thank you so much for your detailed review of the Ecstasy. I'm taking my mother on her in August and I was having a hard time finding positive reviews. This will be my 16th cruise and honestly they have all been wonderful. Since you are familiar with this port and I've never been there, I have one quick question about getting to the port if you might have an opinion on what we should do. My mother uses a rolling walker, in case that affects your opinion. Should we book the Carnival transfer or just taxi over? Thank you again for your helpful review!

I'm so glad you are enjoying. I like doing reports and I'm happy to be doing one on the Ecstasy. It usually sells out, I'm surprised there have not been more positive reviews.

As a seasoned cruiser, you are probably like me: a cruise is what you make of it. I do like some of the amenities of the newer ships. But, I really, really enjoyed what the Ecstasy had to offer.

I've not flown to a cruise destination, so I'm not sure how much help I can be. It sounds like you are flying in the day of departure?

The Carnival transfer would handle your luggage - correct? If so; that might be the best option. A taxi would have to go thru the luggage drop off and then drop you off where you have to walk over the dock to get to the terminal. The Carnival van would be more likely to handle your luggage and drop you off right at the terminal.

If someone has any thoughts on this, please chime in.

Sail Away

I’m a local, so I warn you there are a lot of pictures! I’ve been in the harbor on tour boats and on personal craft; the view from this height gives a whole new perspective.

After we finished Muster, we went to the Serenity Deck so we could walk back and forth to see both sides of the harbor. Interestingly, I met a former co-worker that I hadn’t seen in over 10 years. Small world. Maybe not so much when you live near the port! I recognized her husband first, then, we all chatted for a few minutes.

And all of a sudden, we were pulling away from the dock:

23i8qgz.jpg

Note: we are backing away at an angle to get to the deeper part of the harbor.

Here’s another pic looking just north of the cruise terminal:

2qdslr7.jpg

On the left, you can see the building where I posted the pic with all the bottled water. In the middle, you see a building with two peaks. This is the building that The City of Charleston, The State Ports Authority and Carnival are trying to get remodeled to move the Cruise Terminal. Note, I said remodel. It’s not like they want to tear it down and build a 4 story monstrosity. You can also see this terminal would be so much closer to the parking maze and hence, parking in general. But, the current and proposed future Cruise Terminals are near residences; you can see some condos above. So, “the neighbors” keep putting up a fight to stop the moving the terminal. They’ve been successful for 6 years. “I” think that “they” think if they fight long enough the ship will sail empty due to the embarkation process and Carnival will leave.

I just don't see that happening.

Currently, they have the Corp or Engineers involved because a few pilings need to be added underneath the building and they have to see how it would affect the environment of the water. You know – where there are already hundreds of pilings…… Sadly, they have no deadline for a decision…

Someday, I hope the terminal is moved so parking and embarkation can become more like other ports.

Anyway, let’s go; cuz the ship is a movin’

Over to the port side (for now), here’s a picture of an island in the harbor. Local boaters know not to get off here; snakes rule this roost. :eek:

w81auq.jpg

Back to the starboard side, see – I told you we wanted to catch both sides :D

4ljalf.jpg

In the middle is the South Carolina Aquarium. On either side, you can catch harbor tours or ferries to Fort Sumter. On the right is a parking lot full of brand new Beemer’s. They’re not fresh off the boat from Germany. They are fresh from the Upstate of South Carolina awaiting shipment to points unknown.

So much history in Charleston Harbor

Here’s a better picture of the USS Yorktown :

2rhqr6p.jpg

It is located at Patriot’s Point, a maritime center that also has a destroyer and a submarine.

This is the fourth naval ship to bear the name Yorktown. The original was named after the battle of Yorktown in the Revolutionary War. This one was renamed Yorktown while being built to commemorate the sinking of the 3rd Yorktown at the Battle of Midway in World War II. This Yorktown also did battle in the Pacific in WWII.

Back to “Snake Island” (on the starboard side now):

2liu4gy.jpg

You can see a fort. It was Fort Pinckney, later rebuilt as Castle Pinckney. This island is in the middle of the harbor; Fort Sumter is coming up.

When South Carolina seceded from the Union, Castle Pinckney was the first military installation seized by the South. The Union Army garrison retreated to Fort Sumter.

See, there really is a “point” in this look back at the Yorktown, Patriot’s “Point” and the Ravenel Bridge:

wck1sp.jpg

We’ve come quite a ways, and we’re still in Charleston Harbor:

200snx1.jpg

Edited by CruzinScotty

Fort Sumter and the Charleston Jetties

Finally we are approaching Fort Sumter. There’s only one way there - by boat. You can see a tour boat there; I think it's even two stories. I’ve been to the fort, it looks so small from this height.

25810jo.jpg

Here Fort Sumter looks a little larger; but is still dwarfed by the Ecstasy.

2rn9edz.jpg

I’d like to thank the seagull for posing!

Here’s a little trivia: Where did the Civil War start? Depending on how the question is asked you might get a different answer.

In general, people will say the Civil War started at Fort Sumter, which is correct.

But, many – many years ago, I heard a question on Jeopardy….well, it’s the answer you see first: “Where the first shot was fired in the Civil War”. The question – they said – was “What is Fort Sumter”? But, that’s not correct.

Fort Sumter was held by Union troops. The South fired the first shots. They were fired “from” Fort Johnson “onto” Fort Sumter. In the picture above, Fort Johnson would have been on a barrier island behind Fort Sumter from this view.

OK, enough history – we’re finally heading to sea.

On the port side, to the north, is Sullivan’s Island:

2md2sno.jpg

You can’t actually see the jetty, but I LOVE how you can tell where it is by the way the water changes color.

This next pic shows why Fort Sumter was such a perfect location. Historic Downtown Charleston is directly behind it:

w8vkvs.jpg

There’s the sea! And on the south, starboard side – the Charleston Jetty

2rxtcgl.jpg

Gosh, that’s a long jetty.

And………One last Sail Away picture that shows just how long the jetty is and just how far we’ve come:

euhx7q.jpg

Look at how small the Ravenel Bridge is.

Now, it’s time to get freshened up for dinner.

Coming soon: I’ve been keeping a little secret that it’s time to reveal!!!!

What mystery and intrigue lay ahead????

We've sailed out of Charleston three times I think...twice on Carnival..and once many years ago with NCL...and also visited several times...so really really enjoying your pictures!! Thanks so much:)