Chillin’ on the Ecstasy: 6/20/16 Nassau, Freeport, Pics, Food, Travelogue

CruzinScotty

Since you are familiar with this port and I've never been there, I have one quick question about getting to the port if you might have an opinion on what we should do. My mother uses a rolling walker, in case that affects your opinion. Should we book the Carnival transfer or just taxi over? Thank you again for your helpful review!

The Carnival transfer would handle your luggage - correct? If so; that might be the best option. A taxi would have to go thru the luggage drop off and then drop you off where you have to walk over the dock to get to the terminal. The Carnival van would be more likely to handle your luggage and drop you off right at the terminal.

If someone has any thoughts on this, please chime in.

We've sailed from Charleston multiple times using a hotel package that included free transportation. Most have used a private taxi service. We have always been dropped off, with our luggage, on Concord Street across from the Customs building. The porters took our luggage right there & interestingly never accept a tip (we'll keep offering though!). We've always arrived early & wait in a big white tent for the shuttles to start running. They have seats, water, etc.

We have had to call the Charleston port for other issues & they are always amazingly helpful. I wouldn't hesitate to call & get their advice on the process if I was still unsure on which option to choose.

The taxi/shuttle process has been so smooth for us, we've decided to continue to avoid the Charleston port parking process we've heard so much about!

We've sailed from Charleston multiple times using a hotel package that included free transportation. Most have used a private taxi service. We have always been dropped off, with our luggage, on Concord Street across from the Customs building. The porters took our luggage right there & interestingly never accept a tip (we'll keep offering though!). We've always arrived early & wait in a big white tent for the shuttles to start running. They have seats, water, etc.

We have had to call the Charleston port for other issues & they are always amazingly helpful. I wouldn't hesitate to call & get their advice on the process if I was still unsure on which option to choose.

The taxi/shuttle process has been so smooth for us, we've decided to continue to avoid the Charleston port parking process we've heard so much about!

Thanks for the information. It does bring up another question since this was my first time and I did the parking thing. I had heard about being dropped off near the ship, the white tent, and having to wait for a van. In my pictures and description, there was a smaller tent that seemed like the check-in area. Some people had their luggage checked and some had carry-ons.

I know they used to not let you walk to the terminal, even though the big white tent was so close to the ship. But, I had never seen the small walking pier that so many people are on. I wonder if they have stream-lined the process to get those people on more quickly by walking and freeing up more vans at the same time?

When was the last time you cruised from Charleston?

Anyone else have something to share on the subject?

Never thought about the luggage issue with the transfer. Great point and thank you! Looking forward to the big reveal! ��

I hope the above information was helpful to you.

I am actually off tomorrow as well. I hope to have the rest of Embarkation Day posted - including the reveal.

I hope everyone has a fun and safe 4th of July. :)

Edited by CruzinScotty

Great commentary w/ the pictures. I live in CHS and have a small boat, but your pictures and commentary really wake things up.

Keep on going!

Thanks so much! As a local, I took a lot of pictures. The height really shows things so differently. I wanted to share more info for those that have not left from Charleston to help put the history of this area in perspective.

BTW, to share a little more for those interested: Fort Pinkney and Fort Moultrie (which is on Sullivan's Island) were both used during the Revolutionary War. There's so much beauty and much history here!

Tell me more about "snake island":eek::eek:

What kinds of snakes? Tons of them?:eek:

I am deathly afraid of snakes, but also intrigued at the same time.:D

Just seems weird, being surrounded by water, that snakes have taken it over...

Lovin' the review and patiently waiting for more..

Thanks for the information. It does bring up another question since this was my first time and I did the parking thing. I had heard about being dropped off near the ship, the white tent, and having to wait for a van. In my pictures and description, there was a smaller tent that seemed like the check-in area. Some people had their luggage checked and some had carry-ons.

I know they used to not let you walk to the terminal, even though the big white tent was so close to the ship. But, I had never seen the small walking pier that so many people are on. I wonder if they have stream-lined the process to get those people on more quickly by walking and freeing up more vans at the same time?

When was the last time you cruised from Charleston?

Anyone else have something to share on the subject?

I have been watching replies hoping to have your photo of the walking people explained! :D I just shared the photo with hubby, we went to Google Maps & zoomed in, & we don't remember ever seeing that footbridge before. The last time we cruised from Charleston was Nov 2014. Can't wait to see if this is indeed a new walk-on feature for those arriving by taxi/shuttle. That will be brilliant! We normally check our luggage with the porters so we don't have to deal with it & the shuttle. Would be nice if we can just wheel it right through straight to our stateroom when we board! (85 days, by the way! Living vicariously through your review for now! ;) )

I have been watching replies hoping to have your photo of the walking people explained! :D I just shared the photo with hubby, we went to Google Maps & zoomed in, & we don't remember ever seeing that footbridge before. The last time we cruised from Charleston was Nov 2014. Can't wait to see if this is indeed a new walk-on feature for those arriving by taxi/shuttle. That will be brilliant! We normally check our luggage with the porters so we don't have to deal with it & the shuttle. Would be nice if we can just wheel it right through straight to our stateroom when we board! (85 days, by the way! Living vicariously through your review for now! ;) )

With the holiday weekend over, traffic on the boards should pick up, so hopefully someone will see this and have the answer the pictures seem to support and both of us are hoping for.

I love reading reports on upcoming cruises, I’m glad you are enjoying.

Gosh, I hope I’m not perpetuating an old wife’s tale. :eek:

You made me do a little research. ;)

The island’s real name is Shutes Folly. Castle Pinckney is owned by the Ports Authority and is available to visit by private boat with permission. Maybe it’s not all snakes? But any snakes in such a small area are too many for me.

Back when I had a boat, people always said to stay away because of the snakes. Whether on the water or viewing from Waterfront Park or the Battery; I’ve never seen a boat there. So I assumed the snake story was true; strange as it is.

Since we're on the subject of the Harbor, Nat Geo Wild had their Aerial America series on yesterday, focusing on the original 13 Colonies. A few things I learned:

There is a light house on Sullivan's Island; in the pic it may look strange because instead of having many stripes, it's just half black and half white. I didn't realize it only has 3 sides - built as a triangle. That's on purpose to help defend on whatever direction a hurricane's winds might come from.

And, Fort Sumter is not built on a natural island. It is build on rock/stone that was brought down from New England.

Now, it's finally time to move forward with our trip!

On to my little secret:

SURPRISE!!!!!!

2hhzksk.jpg

Yep, I’ve been keeping from you the fact there are 4 of us in this cabin! And this is how it really looked the rest of the cruise. I did say I knew we wouldn’t be sleeping in the same bed on this cruise – that part is true. LOL

I came very close to titling this report, “Camping on the Ecstasy” :D

We have some family that wanted to try this 5 night cruise and everything fell into place – except for cabin selection.

We booked less than 6 weeks before sailing. We wanted two cabins. We’d have preferred ocean view, or even taken interiors. But, it’s summer time and Carnival knows they can fill the ship to capacity. They only offered cabins for four. So, with that in mind, that’s why we splurged on the balcony. We knew it would help to give us extra space; and we enjoyed it immensely.

As soon as we booked and I pulled it up on-line, I was surprised to see FTTF available. I had just recently heard about some of the parking/security advantages and snatched it up pronto! Some people think it’s a waste of money – I like those people. LOL For those of us that do like it, it’s hard enough to get as it is.

I also looked on-line for pictures of a cabin for 4 on this ship. Boy did it look tiny. We were on the Sunshine last year; which - even though they’ve remodeled it - you can’t make the cabins bigger. That cruise helped us re-adjust our mind-set to smaller cabins than the Conquest/Dream class.

I believe I have better pics to show that, while tight, there was more room than I was expecting.

Here’s another view, with the new flat screen TV:

314cvgg.jpg

Below the TV is some space. It worked out nicely that two of us like to unpack – so there was plenty of space in the drawers and closests; and two of us like to live out of our suitcases. There was room for them – even off of the floor:

24yaiyb.jpg

I’m a Hawaiian shirt kind of guy, so here I am ready for dinner. But, you can see the nice desk space:

11m3jnr.jpg

There’s something missing on the desk – my collapsible cooler. At home, I put a re-usable ice pak in it to keep drinks cold at the beach. Well, it turns out the thing is not waterproof! I had to empty the ice into the shower and let it dry out for a few days. It had leaked water on the desk – I made quite a little mess for myself. LOL

Next, we’re off to dinner!

Edited by CruzinScotty

I took pictures of most public areas to share throughout the trip. Two areas I missed are Camp Ocean and the dining rooms. The dining rooms were quite nice with a light green and brown theme.

It’s time to head to dinner.

We have been choosing Your Time Dining ever since it’s been around. We like the flexibility. And, if you like your wait staff, you can request them each night.

YTD is in the mid-ship Wind Star Dining Room on Deck 8. They open at 5:45 PM, we usually arrive at or before opening. With Sail Away, tonight we arrived at 6pm with a line of…..zero! It wasn’t busy yet, so I asked for a table for 4 by the window. I didn’t think quick enough to ask for the shady side and we ended up in the sun with the curtains closed. LOL

We’ve generally had good luck with wait staff in the Dining Room. Tonight, we had Armando Jr, from the Phillipines. He was a little older than most waiters, and very quiet and reserved. It took a few minutes before he even came to our table. I wondered if we’d move on to a new waiter tomorrow.

We did not. Armando was the “Stealth Waiter”. He was the best head waiter I can remember ever having! He was very fast and efficient. We would definitely be trying to sit in Armando’s area every night we could.

The Ecstasy still has the old menus. I started the evening with chicken fingers:

13zshz5.jpg

You would think there’s not much to this picture, but with me as your tour guide – there is. ;)

I’ve had the chicken fingers recently as an appetizer on another ship and they were nowhere near this large. I’m just guessing that the Fantasy class ships that still have the Grill at lunch use the same chicken fingers at dinner. They were good.

Next, is something that we found unusual at first; but for us – a wonderful help. If you look to the right of the chicken fingers, you see another dish. It is this:

13zzuw1.jpg

This is the Pasta with Italian Sausage. Most pasta dishes can be ordered as an appetizer. That’s what I did this evening. You see, Armando, in his speed, was not afraid to bring out your 2nd appetizer while you were still eating the first one. Some nights, he would even bring both out at the same time.

Some might be put off by this, wishing to enjoy a longer time in the dining room. Not us, we’re happy to have less lulls between courses. Additional appetizers are usually sitting in a covered dish at the serving area anyways; why wait for them with the staff so busy. We REALLY enjoyed this.

Since I had heavy appetizers, I chose the grilled Tilapia for my entrée:

2r5chsw.jpg

I don’t usually order this because I cook it at home. But I don’t cook it like this – it was very, very good.

Soon, it was time for dessert. On the old menus, Crème Brulee is the first night:

2uj5b28.jpg

And, with my sweet tooth, I had to have a taste of the Black Forrest cake as well:

29wl8v8.jpg

WOW! We were done with dinner in 1 hr 25 minutes. For YTD, that’s really fast for us. On our recent cruises, we’ve had anywhere from 9-13 at one table. We always thought it was our table size that made the meals linger – sometimes over 2 hours. But, “Stealth Waiter Armando” would have had us out much quicker on those trips. We were at a table with four, with two tables of two right next to us. All 3 tables were usually seated within 5 minutes of each other. He took orders and served all 8 people at pretty much the same pace.

Soon, our first evening on board.

Edited by CruzinScotty

Great review so far. I'm thinking of sailing out of Charleston next year (on the Sunshine though). My question about the vans for the handicapped parking - did they have a wheelchair lift? We have a handicapped parking sticker because my mother is a full time wheelchair user. She would never be able to step up into a van to make the trip from the parking to the ship though.

Lastly, it’s time for some shopping around the City Market:

Thanks for sticking with me. Soon, I’ll be able to get on with the real report.

Coming soon: The A-maze-ing parking process in Charleston

I love the pre cruise segments. It gets me in the mood!!!

I was thinking the same thing!!

Great review so far. I'm thinking of sailing out of Charleston next year (on the Sunshine though). My question about the vans for the handicapped parking - did they have a wheelchair lift? We have a handicapped parking sticker because my mother is a full time wheelchair user. She would never be able to step up into a van to make the trip from the parking to the ship though.

I think I read somewhere on CC that they do have vans that accomodate wheelchairs. I don't think ours did. Someone posted that the Charleston Ports Authority has been helpful, hopefully they could give you more info about how often they run, if they radio in to send on, etc. Enjoy your cruise!

Edited by CruzinScotty

Armando? [emoji4]. I will remember his name. Going in 60 days!!! And I really like dinner in about an hour. Any longer than that, and I get bored between the courses.

I think his next vacation is in October or November, so you may be in luck!. I was surprised the 2nd night when I asked for Armando, the check in staff didn't know his name.

We sat at table 119; a table for 4. I'm not sure of your party size; but have them find that table (even if it's taken) and tell them you want that section.

ALSO - make sure you get in line on the Starboard Side. That's the side The Explorer's Club is on. I'll be covering that in my next installment a little later today.

Good luck, and have fun!

Edited by CruzinScotty

I love the pre cruise segments. It gets me in the mood!!!

Thank you! I usually do a pre-cruise segment but have not left from my home port before.

I didn't think you'd want to see pictures of my house and the fact we were eating left overs the day before to clean out the fridge.

I doesn't quite set the same mood, does it. :D

Edited by CruzinScotty

After dinner, we did a little shopping; then I ventured into The Explorer’s Club Library for a bit. This area is in the Atrium, conveniently located next to the Wind Star Dining Room and was the most active Library I’ve seen on a ship. A lot of people came in to get books and games. Many came in just to relax and enjoy the beautiful décor.

A giant globe surely fits the Explorer’s theme:

dmy7g9.jpg

The furniture is beautiful, notice the wood carving on the arm of the sofa:

14sf5fm.jpg

Here is a model of the Niew Amsterdam looking out onto the Atrium:

w1poc7.jpg

I even managed to get a photo of the sunset while exploring The Explorer’s Club:

mw2ik9.jpg

Next, we’ve moved up to the Promenade Deck in the Atrium. You can see The Neon Bar, the piano bar, down a deck:

aut8k5.jpg

Remember the carpeting has a city building theme? You can see a deck above the theme continues in this beautiful blue.

Next, we walk down City Lights Boulevard – gosh – I wonder how it got that name. ;)

The theming continues, and I didn’t realize……the lights change colors:

ndv18x.jpg

We decided to head to the room. We saw Pierre on our way to dinner and explained our leaky cooler issue. He came to the rescue with a bucket to keep our water in:

wbcffd.jpg

He also delivered our Gold Level water – boy these are larger than the Conquest in March – as well as our “free drink after 5PM on the last day” coupons. We sure don’t want to lose those. :D

And, of course, a Carnival turn-down tradition:

b86xkj.jpg

We visited on the balcony for a bit. There are two chairs, but one person can sit on the table as well.

A couple of us decided to head to the Comedy Club to see Mike Speenburg. He’s very southern and was pretty good. He had a few lulls in his set; but overall we enjoyed it.

I like improv comedians. I hope you know not to sit in the front row if you don’t want to be “part of the show”; because you never know if “you’ll be the ones”. LOL He did a pretty good bit with a 19 year old and his family in the front row and a nearby family from South Carolina – because they “got” all of his southern jokes.

Afterwards, we headed back to the cabin. I’m an early riser and getting to bed at a decent time has been great in not needing a “vacation from my vacation” when I get home.

My evening ritual is to spend some time on the balcony and journal the day’s activities. You don’t think I could remember all these details on my own, do you???

Tomorrow is a Sea Day!

Another great installment! I remember when our boys were little and we had four in a cabin. Couldn't wait until they were old enough for their own cabin! :D

Thanks! It took me 6 years to get on a ship out of Charleston. The cabin wasn't our preference, though the balcony was nice. But it was an opportunity I couldn't pass up. :D

Thank you! I usually do a pre-cruise segment but have not left from my home port before.

I didn't think you'd want to see pictures of my house and the fact we were eating left overs the day before to clean out the fridge.

I doesn't quite set the same mood, does it. :D

I will take having to eat leftovers the night before my cruise any time!!! :D