Chillin’ on the Ecstasy: 6/20/16 Nassau, Freeport, Pics, Food, Travelogue

CruzinScotty

It took until the last morning, but I finally got a sunrise pic:

i56qlh.jpg

It’s time for another walk to see if I can get any more pics.

Here’s a better picture of the seating area on the Promenade:

2nurdpg.jpg

I guess this is considered part of the Metropolis Bar? This area was used often for trivia during the day. I was here a little later today.

The Early-Birds are out:

1628eo3.jpg

I can’t get enough of these guys. The crew usually does this on the last sea day; but it can vary.

ndrnli.jpg

I did notice there weren’t as many towel animals out this morning. I’ll share my thoughts in a bit.

How about some final décor pics.

It seems the cabin decks on each class of ship are the same? Here are a couple pics of the hallways on the Ecstasy:

11gn6t4.jpg

5d8ivk.jpg

And, I mentioned I’d show more “90’s modern” artwork in the elevator landings:

2zno5lh.jpg

1zf4ora.jpg

This next picture better captures why I think they do less towel animals at the pool:

1zl7rkx.jpg

With only one pool and less seating, people arrive early for sea days anyways. You had to be really early like I was to get pics of just the animals and not the humans as well. ;)

just loving your pictures...it's been several years since I sailed the Ecstasy...last Fantasy class ship was the Elation..then last year the Fascination....seeing the water works made me think of taking the grandsons again:D

just loving your pictures...it's been several years since I sailed the Ecstasy...last Fantasy class ship was the Elation..then last year the Fascination....seeing the water works made me think of taking the grandsons again:D

Thank you!

Come on down, Charleston should be a nice drive for you from NC. That Water Works area is much larger than I expected of a Fantasy class ship. Plus, there are a lot of loungers up there. The only downside for me is there's no shade. Just use lots of sunscreen and you're all set.

Edited by CruzinScotty

Just wanted to say how much I am enjoying your latest review and all the pictures and stories.

We've been to Charleston 3 times (saw Fantasy once but have never sailed from there). What a beautiful city. Your pre-cruise pictures of the Market brought back some good memories: shrimp and grits, pralines and some beautiful silver earrings I bought last visit, so thanks! :)

Heather

Thank you!

Come on down, Charleston should be a nice drive for you from NC. That Water Works area is much larger than I expected of a Fantasy class ship. Plus, there are a lot of loungers up there. The only downside for me is there's no shade. Just use lots of sunscreen and you're all set.

It is a nice drive...much better than Jacksonville! I keep looking at the Carnival website...put haven't booked yet:eek: Two cruises booked...and thinking what 2017 will bring...but think a five dayer out of Charleston will be in the cards....also the Francis Marion Hotel is a neat place to stay...right in the middle of everything:):)

Just wanted to say how much I am enjoying your latest review and all the pictures and stories.

We've been to Charleston 3 times (saw Fantasy once but have never sailed from there). What a beautiful city. Your pre-cruise pictures of the Market brought back some good memories: shrimp and grits, pralines and some beautiful silver earrings I bought last visit, so thanks! :)

Heather

Thank you very much. I try to have my reviews feel like you are on the trip, too. :)

I'm glad you've enjoyed your trips to Charleston, we love living in the area.

It is a nice drive...much better than Jacksonville! I keep looking at the Carnival website...put haven't booked yet:eek: Two cruises booked...and thinking what 2017 will bring...but think a five dayer out of Charleston will be in the cards....also the Francis Marion Hotel is a neat place to stay...right in the middle of everything:):)

Yes, start looking into that Charleston cruise. :D

We cruised from Jacksonville before there was a ship from Charleston. I don't look at their itineraries much anymore; but I don't think they are that different from ours?

Two cruises booked, how nice. We booked one in September on the Valor the same day we booked the Ecstasy. That's the only time I've ever had 2 cruises booked at the same time. I could get used to that. LOL

This morning, the breeze was on the port side, so that's where we had breakfast.

Here’s one of my favorite pictures:

33z7bjb.jpg

It’s such a peaceful picture. You can tell you’re on a ship at sea. It doesn’t matter the size of the ship or the destination – it’s all about the journey. I was just soaking up the atmosphere.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Speaking of breakfast, I headed back to the omelette station today; we’ve had enough pictures of that.

From my notes, I will mention a few of more minor changes to the Breakfast Buffet. This morning they had carrot cake muffins and the types of potatoes varied some days as well. One morning, they were almost potato chip thin; something they had at lunch sometimes as well.

We usually look for the 2 for $20 t-shirt sale each cruise. We’re used to it being the last evening; this cruise it was at 9AM today. Maybe with limited space, maybe they didn’t want the huge onslaught the larger ships have; since the sale did run most of the day. We arrived early to get the best selection. Afterwards we headed to Serenity.

We knew arriving at this time on the last Sea Day that we weren’t sure we’d get a seat at all:

We lucked out; no loungers, but we did have seats in the shade.

1zyhrhf.jpg

We spent more time in the hot tub and relaxing. DW let out her inner child and went up to the Waterworks area. :)

We got cleaned up and did that most unfortunate of deeds: got most of the packing done.

We have a new friend:

2h2ipnl.jpg

I’m used to having a heart the last day; this was a pleasant surprise.

For lunch today, I chose from the Buffet:

fod24w.jpg

Included are a pasta salad, a nice salad with pears in it, some coleslaw, a dish I don’t remember (but there are some of the home-made potato chips I mentioned earlier). And the fish was excellent today.

Now, it’s on to the Chocolate Extravaganza!

On larger ships, I’m used to the big production with one section of the buffet dedicated to all the desserts. It’s usually advertised in the Fun Times. I double checked, I didn’t remember it being there; it wasn’t. So, I really didn’t expect it today.

Ta-Da:

24y4x01.jpg

Obviously they don’t have the same space, but they do have a nice selection of mostly chocolate offerings. Usually, I’m not impressed with what they have this day. I usually have rice pudding and try to find something else that might be moist and have some flavor.

The Sweet Spot is small (remember there are two of them); but they sure make room for as many things as possible:

2v1wzfb.jpg

I want to mention something in this pic, so you’ll be able to see it in the one below. There is no room for a Chocolate Fountain. So, on the left, in the middle they have chocolate covered – marinated – orange rinds. Hands down – the best thing from the buffet today. I’m hard pressed to think of something from any Chocolate Extravaganza I have enjoyed more.

Here’s another pic of the various cakes:

2vkau6b.jpg

I’m a taster. “A taster’s gotta taste” LOL

29449xt.jpg

I have my usual rice pudding and chocolate pudding (which has been very dense the last few cruises). Next is the Almond Biscotti which I’ve not seen before, very good. Because I explained it above, you can see the chocolate covered orange rinds. I didn’t care for the small chocolate cookie type thing and the curly biscuit type thing. But, I found a very nice moist chocolate cake and the Sugared Almonds, which are new to me, were also very nice.

Coming soon: A Blast from the Past

I know there are some who have read my past reviews. If this is my first for you, sometimes, I like to go back in time to share a past cruising experience.

Since this is only the 2nd Fantasy Class ship I’ve been on; let’s go back to late December of 2001 and a trip on the Paradise.

I mentioned earlier that I didn’t remember having to go from the Promenade up to the life boats, but I DID remember wearing my life jacket as part of the Muster Drill:

16c1994.jpg

Uh-oh – I have to take something back:

4q38k4.jpg

I said there were no slides on the Paradise. Oops! I guess, this was just the beginning of things to come. Also note the style of loungers at the time.

The chairs and tables have definitely changed in the seating area of the Lido as well:

2ez34t4.jpg

Here is the Grand Atrium:

34gsgt4.jpg

Note the Christmas decorations are still up. And – the bar is smaller; but there’s a baby grand! John Heald has recently posted the Grand Atrium of some other Fantasy class ships that have a baby grand. I wonder if that’s still the case on those ships or if they are all gone and he posted older pics? Anyone know?

This cruise went to the Western Caribbean. We were in Cozumel on New Year’s Day.

Here’s a double blast from the past, the Paradise AND the Jubilee:

x3sry0.jpg

This was back in the day when they didn’t try to squeeze so many ports in. This 7 night cruise had 3 ports and 3 sea days. To me, that’s the perfect combination. So many today have 4 ports and only 2 sea days.

So with only 3 ports, we spent more time in Cozumel; I believe we were there until 11PM. For those that had dinner on board, they had a local Mariachi Band as entertainment in the Dining Room:

2l9qmgl.jpg

Thanks for coming down Memory Lane with me!

Coming soon it’s back to reality. But…we’re on vacation, so it’s a good reality.

Edited by CruzinScotty

Do the in room safes use keys or magnetic cards? I have read both when searching.

TIA

I was SO happy to see it is the combination safe.

I hate the magnetic ones, it gives you another card you have to keep track of.

Yes, I want to be a walking person, too. ;) Next time, it's possible we might be dropped off and carry our own luggage on. I was looking forward to being dropped off at the small white tent to check in and then wait under white tent if too early, or just walk on in.

But, the other info posted earlier says that's not the answer.

I'm very curious.......

I'm back today, and sad to be off of the Ecstasy. Like you, I don't understand any criticisms about this ship. The staff was phenomenal and the ship was extremely clean.

I wanted to let you know--we WERE walking people! :-) We arrived by Uber, and were dropped off in the lot close to the port entrance. We did have to check our luggage (only airline size carry ons were allowed and they were not going to budge on that) and then we passed through a security checkpoint before being allowed to walk across the metal walkway to the terminal. No shuttle required.

I'm back today, and sad to be off of the Ecstasy. Like you, I don't understand any criticisms about this ship. The staff was phenomenal and the ship was extremely clean.

I wanted to let you know--we WERE walking people! :-) We arrived by Uber, and were dropped off in the lot close to the port entrance. We did have to check our luggage (only airline size carry ons were allowed and they were not going to budge on that) and then we passed through a security checkpoint before being allowed to walk across the metal walkway to the terminal. No shuttle required.

Zabaco - I'm SO glad you had a great time and enjoyed the Ecstasy itself! I also saw in another thread this was your 2nd cruise in a very short time. Lucky you!

And I'm glad you were a walking person, too. ;) :D

It sounds like you found out at check-in that your luggage was too big and needed to check it? Also excellent information on how strict they are!

Here is the picture I posted way back when:

ixyq9t.jpg

On the left is a smaller white tent. This looks to be where you check in when being dropped off and check your luggage if needed. You can see people walking over to the large white tent (just out of sight) that leads to the metal walkway to the terminal.

Please feel free to update any of that information I may have gotten incorrect.

Thanks so much for being a 2nd voice to verify the drop off system.

Edited by CruzinScotty

Back in the present, after lunch I split off from the group for a bit. I wandered around and people watched. I also got this pic:

16ba9ea.jpg

Last Night, I got the Red Frog Rum Bar, but The Blue Iguana Tequila Bar was closed. Today it’s open. I saw a recent post that listed these two bars as additions during the next dry-dock in January. I replied in that post that they are already here and I would post pictures in this review – and now I have. :D

This is when I headed to City Lights Boulevard and sat at a table. I watched the answer portion of the Harry Potter Trivia. Boy were they different questions than I remember a few cruises ago. Much harder, you had to know the books really well. Who remembers Dudley's best friend? I barely remember he had any friends. LOL

I decided to try my luck at the One-Hit Wonder Trivia. It was fun, but that did not go well at all. Twenty songs plus the artist for a total of 40 points. I got less than half with some of those are songs I had never heard of but guessed right because of the lyrics. When the first three lines of a song include the words “Closing Time” – that’s a decent guess. LOL

Then, I headed into Stripes to catch the last few minutes of the Playlist Players Q&A. The two shows they always do are The Brits and Motor City. When they do a longer cruise, they have a guest act fly in for a show (juggler, hypnotist, etc.). They also work about 6 -7 month contracts with there being an overlap of 5 weeks with the previous cast to get the routines down, start slowly switching people out, etc.

I had originally arrived at Stripes early to hear the Cruise Director Q&A. I don’t do this every cruise, but decided to today.

Benjamin started by telling us a little about himself. He is from Lexington.

Not Kentucky.

He’s a South Carolina boy!

For those who don’t know; Lexington is a suburb of Columbia.

I had NO IDEA! Kentucky or South Carolina - he has absolutely NO southern accent. I thought he was from the Midwest because he mentioned flying from Minneapolis to Anchorage during his Bob Dylan set.

He went on a Carnival cruise with his family and applied to work his way up to being Cruise Director, which happened last September. I wondered how he got a ship close to home so quickly; on the Conquest Josh/Big Sexy spent 2 years as a Cruise Director before he could get a ship out of his home between Miami and Ft. Lauderdale. Benjamin mentioned before I could ask by saying that Carnival was trying to better match Cruise Directors with their ships and backgrounds. Since he’s from South Carolina, and a majority of passengers are southern; it was a good fit. He was proud, but not boastful, to say that the Ecstasy is “his ship” until they tell him otherwise. The new Cruise Director schedule just came out and other than vacations, it is “his ship”. His schedule goes to next July which is farther than many other ships.

When the ship goes thru dry dock next January, they give the Cruise Directors the option to take time off. He’s not. If he’s taking ownership as Cruise Director, he wants to be there to help. I like that.

Guy’s Burgers, The Blue Iguana Cantina and The Alchemy Bar are all confirmed for the next dry dock. Unfortunately, the Rotisserie, Grill and Mongolian Wok will all go away because that’s where the new food places go.

I specifically asked about replacing the tile floors on the Lido. He thinks so, but isn’t 100% sure. He was Asst. Cruise Director when the Pride when thru its last dry dock and they replaced theirs. And, we already heard from “Moped-Marty” that the Fantasy was changed out as well. That dry dock was just after it left Charleston.

I’m glad I went to this Q&A, I learned a lot.

Hey, how about some more pics?

Soon!

I posted the outside of The Neon Bar way back on the first night. I’ve been trying to get inside pics all trip long. The problem is there is a lot of neon, it is aptly named. I couldn’t catch it when the lights were on except at night when there were too many people.

Now that’s not something I say often about a ship’s Piano Bar! I missed him, so I don’t know if “TC” was that good, or if being in the Grand Atrium makes this a better location.

Anyways, the lights were on today because they had the reception for the Behind the Fun Tour here. That was finished so I can now present:

2em1ird.jpg

zlapmh.jpg

24w8vo5.jpg

3178a2q.jpg

Coming soon: the rest of our last sea day

Edited by CruzinScotty

Zabaco - I'm SO glad you had a great time and enjoyed the Ecstasy itself! I also saw in another thread this was your 2nd cruise in a very short time. Lucky you!

And I'm glad you were a walking person, too. ;) :D

It sounds like you found out at check-in that your luggage was too big and needed to check it? Also excellent information on how strict they are!

Here is the picture I posted way back when:

ixyq9t.jpg

On the left is a smaller white tent. This looks to be where you check in when being dropped off and check your luggage if needed. You can see people walking over to the large white tent (just out of sight) that leads to the metal walkway to the terminal.

Please feel free to update any of that information I may have gotten incorrect.

Thanks so much for being a 2nd voice to verify the drop off system.

You have the details correct! This is where taxi services and the like drop off passengers. It was very smooth.

They have one of those luggage size checking boxes like in airports and if your luggage doesn't fit, you don't carry it on. We had medium sized luggage that was too big for that.

I was on the Valor July 3-8 and loved it, but we liked the Ecstasy better. The food was MUCH better on the Ecstasy and so was the service.

You have the details correct! This is where taxi services and the like drop off passengers. It was very smooth.

They have one of those luggage size checking boxes like in airports and if your luggage doesn't fit, you don't carry it on. We had medium sized luggage that was too big for that.

I was on the Valor July 3-8 and loved it, but we liked the Ecstasy better. The food was MUCH better on the Ecstasy and so was the service.

Thanks for the quick update and verification of this new process. It does help streamline things for drop offs.

I thought the food on the Ecstasy was the best I've had on a cruise in a long, time. Service, too.

What's funny is I'm going on the Valor in late September. I know I'll love the ship because I love the Conquest class. But, I may need to lower my expectations on food and service just a bit. LOL

Thanks for the quick update and verification of this new process. It does help streamline things for drop offs.

I thought the food on the Ecstasy was the best I've had on a cruise in a long, time. Service, too.

What's funny is I'm going on the Valor in late September. I know I'll love the ship because I love the Conquest class. But, I may need to lower my expectations on food and service just a bit. LOL

You'll also love the Valor! We have decided that a small ship gives more personal service, but the Valor was still great.

If you visit the Alchemy bar on the Valor, the female bartender was excellent. The staff in the steakhouse was also fantastic.

We had several conversations with the staff on the Ecstasy and they all said they prefer to work on the smaller ships.

You'll also love the Valor! We have decided that a small ship gives more personal service, but the Valor was still great.

If you visit the Alchemy bar on the Valor, the female bartender was excellent. The staff in the steakhouse was also fantastic.

We had several conversations with the staff on the Ecstasy and they all said they prefer to work on the smaller ships.

I couldn't agree more. I love The Alchemy Bar. And the Ecstasy will have it next year. :D

Edited by CruzinScotty

Back to our last day at sea.

DW knew I planned on attending the 3PM Love and Marriage Show.

I arrived a few minutes after 3. The show had not started yet and DW wondered where I was. I wasn’t worried about missing the show because Benjamin's Q&A ran a few minutes late and he’s the Emcee. The show won’t start without him. :p

BTW, the reason he was late was because he was sharing his wildest adventure with Carnival. It’s quite a story, go to his Q&A if you’re not out catching that last day of sun.

Anyways, this show is always fun, but we don’t always attend. I was happy to see it as an afternoon event instead of them trying to fill in an evening of entertainment with more audience participation entertainment. But then again, we already had the Hasbro Show and the Talent Show is this evening.

Next, we went to the cabin to spend some time relaxing on the balcony.

It’s the last night, we were happy to get in line a little early to make sure we had our last evening with Armando and Jolanta. But, aren’t there usually 3 wait staff members? I haven’t mentioned Arzi yet. She is from Uzbekistan. I had heard on CC that the Ecstasy was used as a “training ship” for their staff. If that is true, and I’m not sure it is, we sure never had any problems because of it. Arzi was learning to be a “Stealth Server” from Armando. We didn’t even notice her at the beginning. We saw her presence more as the cruise progressed. Tonight she took both our entrée and dessert orders. But, Arzi is higher up the ladder than Jolanta. She was taking orders from Arzi tonight, Armando was kind of off in the wings. Jolanta will learn to be a “Stealth Server” in the future. ;)

So, we had our favorite table and for the first time, we had the table by the window and could have the curtains open the entire time!

This evening, we had another couple next to us that wanted to chat. It worked out very nice. If people wanted to visit, we enjoyed it. If they wanted their privacy, we certainly respected that. Tonight’s couple was celebrating their 10th anniversary on this cruise. He was a meteorologist; we had a lot to talk about! Living in South Carolina and growing up in Florida – I’m always on the lookout for hurricanes. We talked about Hugo, which we went thru in Charleston in 1989 and other storms that hit Florida. I know he worked in Joplin, Missouri and is now in Erie, Pennsylvania – so if you watch or have watched Geoff Cornish – that’s who we had dinner with. :)