Chillin’ on the Ecstasy: 6/20/16 Nassau, Freeport, Pics, Food, Travelogue

CruzinScotty

On to some food pics.

Soup pictures don’t always translate as appetizing, but I can assure you the cream of mushroom was good:

x41w6p.jpg

DW had the shrimp cocktail:

2hz4npv.jpg

I also had the chicken strips marinated in Thai Spices:

30vkbie.jpg

I was looking at my Sunshine review, it looked very different then. This version was much better.

DW enjoyed the Flat Iron Steak:

34ye1hf.jpg

While I had the Filet:

16lb9zp.jpg

For dessert, I had WCMC, but no pic tonight. I also tried the Chocolate Raspberry and Vanilla Crème cake:

2ir9f9x.jpg

Tonight’s dinner was just a few minutes longer, what with the Good-Bye song, goodbye hugs for our fantastic wait staff; and a little extra tip as well. We had given Pierre a little extra earlier in the day.

We headed to the family friendly comedy show by John Mulrooney. I didn’t attend many comedy shows this cruise, but over the last few years, I’ve seen most every comedian on each ship. He was definitely one of the best.

I will mention, in case you were not aware, George Lopez is no longer associated with the Comedy Club; they have a different opening. On this cruise, I noticed the Asst. Cruise Director/Emcee was not taking up valuable time by telling a few lame jokes and that the comedians went a little longer than 30 minutes which was very nice.

Next we spent time to the balcony, gotta enjoy it as much as we can.

Then, we headed to the 80’s Music Trivia; one we usually enjoy. Tonight this event was in the Blue Sapphire Lounge. We prefer the Grand Atrium better because it’s easier to see other people and the vibe seems better. Since our cruise, Ben mentioned on his FB page the good vibe from the 80’s trivia in the Grand Atrium on that cruise. Yes, it’s a much better location.

Benjamin does the evening music trivia a little different. You can write down the answers if you want; but that’s just for your own use. He doesn’t keep score. He gives out prizes by passenger enthusiasm as the songs are being played.

There was also a very nice variation of songs compared to the Conquest; but I think “Don’t Stop Believin’” has to be a staple for this event!

All too soon, it’s time to head to the cabin for our nightly routine.

Tomorrow it’s “get off the ship” day. Booooo!

Coming soon: SHHHHHH - Debarkation and Final Thoughts

Edited by CruzinScotty

We were up early as we wanted to watch us docking. DW beat me out on the balcony, she was visiting with – the woman from the next cabin. I got out just in time to catch the Ravenel Bridge before it went out of site.

We watched them tie us up while we took turns finishing that last minute packing.

Debarkation at Charleston is different than any other port

They always have a Debarkation Talk, and play it afterwards on the TV. You also get a letter. Please make sure you go or watch, and DEFINITELY – READ THE LETTER.

Because of the nearby residences, Charleston has a “silent debarkation”. There are no overhead announcements because they can’t have the announcement only indoors without them being outdoors as well.

That’s why you need to review the letter to see what YOU are supposed to do.

With FTTF, and us choosing self-debarkation; our letter said to meet in the Sapphire Lounge at 6:45. We figured we should get there early to get a good spot with our luggage in tow. It was interesting to watch Benjamin and the crew on their walkie-talkies communicating what was going on. They left while we waited a few minutes. I think they went over to the Wind Star Dining Room.

I’m used to Platinum/Diamond being in the same place as FTTF, on separate sides of the Dining Room. I’m guessing they were there and we were in the Lounge to help keep things organized. Organized keeps things on schedule – or ahead of it! Our letter said we would be debarking at 7:30. But, right at 7:00, they called for us to go. We went down elevators on the ship so we were on ground level to get off the ship and go thru Customs. I’m not sure this is the process for later debarkation.

Note, with the small size of the terminal – Customs uses the same space as the embarkation process. (Which is why they can’t even START processing embarkation guests until ALL debarkation guests have left the building.)

By the time we walked back and forth to get to the end of the line, the Platinum/Diamond guests were just finishing up. We breezed thru Customs and went outside where they loaded our luggage onto enclosed trailers behind the van. We had two vans for this trailer. We got on the van and were off in a few minutes.

Here’s a view while we waited:

4vjlu1.jpg

You can see the vans lined up for more passengers. Also notice it's low tide. And the large white tent with the new walking bridge I spent so much time discussing since this is a new and improved process for drop off passengers. (In the past, before this bridge, people at the large white tent had to wait for a van to carry them the 50 yards onto the pier.)

We were inside the handicapped parking structure in a few minutes. They unload the luggage before letting you off to decrease confusion, which gets you on your way faster. Those in the other parking structure had to carry their luggage over there.

Here’s one final picture from the parking structure:

35n1mco.jpg

I took this picture at 7:20. A twenty minute debarkation – works for me!

We gave up breakfast to get off early ahead of the crowds. There were FTTF instructions with times for those that had the ship take their luggage off the ship. With no overhead announcements, since we appeared to be ahead of schedule; I’m not sure how people know when to get off.

If you’ve done regular debarkation and can share how things went with no overhead announcements, that would be great.

Next are some Final Thoughts

Edited by CruzinScotty

Final thoughts

We had many 1st time cruisers on board. I think it’s great that they started with a smaller ship. One that might feel a little more motion than the newer/larger ships. To me, it shows a little more of what cruising used to be about: relaxing, seeing the ocean, feeling that movement, and going to exotic locales. For veteran cruisers, the Bahamas may not be special. But if it’s your first cruise – they are. You always remember your first. ;)

And so many people start with the biggest and the newest ships and then are afraid to move down. They become accustomed to the amenities; that’s understandable – I like them too. But, the Fantasy Class ships have a LOT to offer. That’s why all eight are still around – and being updated to keep them in service.

We had separate conversations with Pierre, our Room Steward and “Stealth Waiter” Armando – both long-time veteran’s with Carnival who have been on many, many ships from many homeports. We really enjoy speaking with the crew. They both said that they LOVE sailing out of Charleston.

I loved the smaller feel of the Ecstasy. The Promenade is smaller, so there are less photographers clogging up that space. The Grand Atrium really is more Grand. Even though it’s only 5 stories, it’s 5 full stories instead of 3 with partial openings higher up.

The food and service were wonderful! I’ll admit we may have lucked up with the seniority of our main crew members.

The thing we missed the most was a 2nd pool. On the Conquest class, our favorite area is the adult pool/hot tub area in the aft. As I mentioned, we just need to make more of an effort to get to the Main Pool more often.

Something I expected to miss, but I didn’t – Guy’s, and The Blue Iguana Cantina. Family member reading this review will be surprised – I usually live at those places for lunch. But, I re-discovered the Mongolian Wok and the Deli. I’m happy the Ecstasy is getting the upgrades; but I admit I’m sad at the loss of the Grill and Wok.

I’ve wanted to sail from Charleston ever since the Fantasy came here in 2010. It took six years and a new ship; but it finally happened. I don’t think it will be six years again.

You can tell we had a great trip; but I think I’ve been fair and have called out things I thought weren’t right or could use some improvement.

Happy cruising to all; I hope you enjoyed this review.

Thanks for coming along for the ride!

Thank you so much for this great review. My wife, son and I will be sailing Ecstasy in October, and I look forward to it now more than ever.

Rick

Thank you so much. I really wanted to paint a positive picture of the Ecstasy; we really enjoyed ourselves in re-discovering the Fantasy Class of ships.

I'm glad I could help with your anticipation; enjoy your cruse. :)

Thanks a million for your review! You do such a great job with your writing style, sense of humor & eye for photos. We're even more prepared now for our first time aboard Ecstasy this September thanks to you. Best wishes to both you & your Carolina Girl! :)

Thanks for this post. We have spent a lot of time researching the ship and this is going to be priceless info for our cruise in September. The details of the port parking is especially helpful. New to cruise critic and gathering as much as I can. This will be mine and DW 3rd cruise (first in 15 years) but our sons 1st.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks so much for this excellent review! I know it takes quite an effort to pull the whole thing together and just want you to know how much it's appreciated. We haven't cruised in 8 years unfortunately, but I just re-discovered this site as I'm starting to research for a cruise in the next year. I'm glad yours was the first review I stumbled across! I felt like I was on the ship with you, and all those emotions came rushing back. From the excitement and anticipation of boarding, to the sadness of it being the final day. Thanks again, and happy cruising!

Thanks a million for your review! You do such a great job with your writing style, sense of humor & eye for photos. We're even more prepared now for our first time aboard Ecstasy this September thanks to you. Best wishes to both you & your Carolina Girl! :)

Thanks so much! You've been with me since the beginning. ;)

I hope this tides you over until your cruise - I'm sure you'll have a great time!

Thanks for the best wishes, and catching the Carolina Girl reference. :)

Thanks for this post. We have spent a lot of time researching the ship and this is going to be priceless info for our cruise in September. The details of the port parking is especially helpful. New to cruise critic and gathering as much as I can. This will be mine and DW 3rd cruise (first in 15 years) but our sons 1st.

Forums

I'm glad I could help with the parking; it is definitely different.

Welcome to Cruise Critic. Sometimes, you have to ignore some negativity, but as you found - there is a lot of useful information here. :)

Also, welcome back to the cruising world!

Thanks so much for reading and commenting.

BRAVO Scotty!!! Enjoyed your review and pics. When is your next adventure?

Thanks again, Jeff!

We are doing another family cruise in late September, 8 day Eastern on the Valor. I haven't been on the her yet. It is the same itinerary we did on the Conquest in March. Loved the itinerary and love the Conquest class.

I had to really squeeze that cruise in. I'm so sad Carnival has her only doing 3 and 4 day Bahamas cruises out of Port Canaveral after one last 8 day Southern in October.

I see you have TWO Sunshine cruises coming up; looking forward to hearing about them and your thoughts on the remodel since you were also on the Destiny.

Edited by CruzinScotty

Thanks so much for this excellent review! I know it takes quite an effort to pull the whole thing together and just want you to know how much it's appreciated. We haven't cruised in 8 years unfortunately, but I just re-discovered this site as I'm starting to research for a cruise in the next year. I'm glad yours was the first review I stumbled across! I felt like I was on the ship with you, and all those emotions came rushing back. From the excitement and anticipation of boarding, to the sadness of it being the final day. Thanks again, and happy cruising!

I really appreciate the comments. You're right, it does take a lot of work to put a long review together. But, it is worth because I get to re-live the cruise, help those in "cruise withdrawal" (I'll be searching some reviews myself now LOL), and to share some insights with people in the planning stages - like you!

Good luck with your cruise planning. I'm glad I could give you the feel of being there - it's something I try to do; happy to see I succeeded. :)

Wonderful review style. Thanks for your hard work. Have loved the Fantasy and look forward to her sister.

Happy sails.

Kathy

Thanks so much; I really appreciate the positive feedback.

I'm sorry I missed the Fantasy while she was in Charleston, but now that we've been on the Ecstasy, I'm looking forward to going again.

I see you don't have too far to come if/when you go on her. Happy planning!

Jimbo,

Thanks so much for the nice comments.

Glad it brought back good memories; that's one of the reasons for doing these, huh? ;)

Yes it is! One night on that cruise we happened to go out to the fan tail at sunset. The sun was setting directly behind the ship and all the levels of the fantail were filled with people that were sitting and standing quietly watching the setting sun. I did not have my camera, but it was pretty special. One of those cruise moments..... See, it works pretty darn good at bringing those memories back.

Edited by jimbo5544

Thanks so much; I really appreciate the positive feedback.

I'm sorry I missed the Fantasy while she was in Charleston, but now that we've been on the Ecstasy, I'm looking forward to going again.

I see you don't have too far to come if/when you go on her. Happy planning!

Two months from tomorrow we'll be onboard!

Kathy

I posted the outside of The Neon Bar way back on the first night. I’ve been trying to get inside pics all trip long. The problem is there is a lot of neon, it is aptly named. I couldn’t catch it when the lights were on except at night when there were too many people.

Now that’s not something I say often about a ship’s Piano Bar! I missed him, so I don’t know if “TC” was that good, or if being in the Grand Atrium makes this a better location.

Anyways, the lights were on today because they had the reception for the Behind the Fun Tour here. That was finished so I can now present:

2em1ird.jpg

As I said, I didn't see TC on this cruise, I wish I had.

Someone posted a video from the piano bar - it seems he really was that good!

I found out that he just passed away. If you're interested in the video, google Benjamin Lambert Cruise Director to find that site we're not supposed to mention.

The clip is a favorite song of mine. My Carolina Girl is also a Brown-Eyed Girl.

RIP TC

yes it is! One night on that cruise we happened to go out to the fan tail at sunset. The sun was setting directly behind the ship and all the levels of the fantail were filled with people that were sitting and standing quietly watching the setting sun. I did not have my camera, but it was pretty special. One of those cruise moments..... See, it works pretty darn good at bringing those memories back.

:) :)