Not so DREAMy

storelady

A very fancy dinner is what I desire most in a cruise also, but alas we are the minority it would appear. I would pay for an upscale dining venue if offered on the ship. Jacket and tie required would have me paying to eat there nightly, but again since we are the minority, that does not sound like a money maker for Carnival.

Bear in mind that I have only been on 6 cruises with two cruise lines, but I dont think Ive ever had what I would consider "a very fancy meal" in the MDR that prepares thousands of dishes per setting.

Tablecloths and formal table setting does not make it a very fancy meal IMO. Meals in the MDR of mass market cruiselines are what they are. Mass prepared banquet type food at best.

If fancy meals and a jacket and tie were that important to me and what I truly desired, I would be looking more towards Cunard or a super luxury line that have the more gourmet type meals that actually match the ambience of fine dining. :) Thats just me though :)

I truly do not get this argument at all.

Edited by ryano

I'm not aware of any restaurants that use table cloths anymore.

Ruth's Chris? No

Daniels Broiler? No

El Gaucho? No

Metropolitan Grill? No

Sorry, none to be found

rotating restaurant at the top of the stratosphere in las vegas......yes

hell's kitchen.....yes

many places still have tableclothes, even when the customers are dressed in shorts.

WOW! I certainly never expected a multitude of varying responses to my simple statement of my PERSONAL preference. My comment on paper plates was an (apparently unappreciated) attempt at a little humor.

I gave no indication that no tablecloths would ruin my cruise or that I would choose a different line. (I've sailed all of them)

For the poster who was so kind as to stand up for me, Thank You. I have rarely posted anything on these boards and considering the unkind comments I think that is a good idea going forward.

Happy sailing to you all.

Yup - because every dining establishment that doesn't utilize tablecloths uses soap and a dirty cloth to clean their tabletops. Heck, 99% probably don't even use the soap.

Please make sure you only dine where tablecloths are used otherwise its guaranteed your forks are touching a dirty table.

heck, i hope not. :eek:

they should be using a 12.5 percent quats sanitizer. :)

Tablecloths or not; not a big deal to me. But, the quality of food is and I have to say the food in the MDR on the Magic last week was not what I have been accustomed to on Carnival.

We only ate in the MDR on both elegant nights and one casual night. We ate in the Italian restaurant one night, twice in the steakhouse and once at the buffet.

We are contemplating not eating in the MDR at all on our next cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

WOW! I certainly never expected a multitude of varying responses to my simple statement of my PERSONAL preference. My comment on paper plates was an (apparently unappreciated) attempt at a little humor.

I gave no indication that no tablecloths would ruin my cruise or that I would choose a different line. (I've sailed all of them)

For the poster who was so kind as to stand up for me, Thank You. I have rarely posted anything on these boards and considering the unkind comments I think that is a good idea going forward.

Happy sailing to you all.

You're welcome. Attacking reasonably presented preference opinions has become the norm on this board.

Yes, yes, that's EXACTLY what's next - paper plates and Red Solo Cups. :rolleyes:

Please, it's a far leap from the removal of tablecloths (while maintaining a nice table setting with cloth napkins, bread plates, water and wine glasses) to paper plates and cheap plastic cups.

And for me, I'm happy that Carnival removed the tablecloths - I don't find them a "nicety" at all - they are a product of a bygone, out-of-date, out-of-fashion era who's time has past.

Yeah, kind of like usage, spelling, and grammar.

Why can't someone have a different opinion and not be flamed or told to cruise on another line.

They can, it's done all the time here....repeatedly, over and over.

But when someone gets sarcastic, expect the same in return. It's very simple.

Tableclothes are nice ... but what about the food? Was the food good? Is the tablecloth so important? Does it make the food taste better? I think an elegant table can be just as elegant without a while cloth.

You're confusing eating with dining.

Tablecloths actually serve a purpose other than creating a nice table setting...they absorb sound. In a space as huge as the main dining room, eliminating tablecloths increases the decibel level of the room.

Every plate and piece of silverware hits the table just a tad 'louder'. All that talking? the noise is now bouncing off a hard surface instead of being absorbed into a softer surface.

Does it decrease the laundry? Sure. Make it easier for the waitstaff to change over tables and prep for the next day? Absolutely. And there are cruisers who don't care about the tablecloths. That's fine too...but this cruiser is one who like them.

To me its just one of the traditional aspects of main-dining-room cruising that means something to me. I would miss it...and as such Carnival will move even further down the list of choices for me.

This was they can spend more time making towel animals for the lido deck, which will have to be washed in lieu of the tablecloths.

Your entire dining experience comes down to a tablecloth? A cruise is not meant to fulfill all of your life needs. If you want ambiance in your life, perhaps find it elsewhere?

Honestly, I don't see the big deal. The food tastes the same. I don't cruise for "ambiance."

Another one confusing eating with dining.

I'm not aware of any restaurants that use table cloths anymore.

Ruth's Chris? No

Daniels Broiler? No

El Gaucho? No

Metropolitan Grill? No

Sorry, none to be found

All the fine dining restaurants in our area have tablecloths. Even one Chinese one.

Simple personal observation by the OP. You classify it as moaning. The moaning is coming from you, distorting her message.

And the ubiquitous "cruise elsewhere" reflects such insight.

And how soon will it be until you make some clever comment about ubiquitous?

WILD applause.

When making reservations at a new restaurant back in your hometown, or area do you ask if there will tablecloths on the tables? I ask because more and more new restaurants don't use tablecloths and it's becoming the trend. It doesn't make the location less likely to get a good dining rating, or the food not be excellent.

Why on earth would they wipe the table with a dirty cloth? They wipe the table with a clean cloth. Having worked in restaurants' date=' I can tell you that those cloths are put in a sanitizing solution when not in use and are very clean. You may not realize it, but they are also cleaning the kitchen in the back with those exact same types of cloths.[/quote']

I guess you've never seen the gray tub with the dirty water going table to table.

And hopefully the silverware is not being wrapped in the napkin in the kitchen.

Bear in mind that I have only been on 6 cruises with two cruise lines, but I dont think Ive ever had what I would consider "a very fancy meal" in the MDR that prepares thousands of dishes per setting.

Tablecloths and formal table setting does not make it a very fancy meal IMO. Meals in the MDR of mass market cruiselines are what they are. Mass prepared banquet type food at best.

If fancy meals and a jacket and tie were that important to me and what I truly desired, I would be looking more towards Cunard or a super luxury line that have the more gourmet type meals that actually match the ambience of fine dining. :) Thats just me though :)

I truly do not get this argument at all.

Sounds like a banquet, right? Weddings and company dinners? And tablecloths.