Not so DREAMy

storelady

Maybe if you have an elegant table to start with. Carnival is upscale setting? Many restaurants send waitstaff to sing Happy Birthday. Go to Chuckie Cheese, they even have bears that play banjos. After you taste the food, you will forget the tablecloths. My prime rib had so much fat, Richard Simmons would have had a stroke.

Go figure....I did not think you sail Carnival

OP posts a respectful disappointment about table clothes. What made that a target for your disdain and sarcasm? How pathetic. Why did you feel it necessary to attack the person who posts such a mild opinion.

Oh, I know. How dare someone have an opinion other than yours?

Vile.

Are you the counter point police today? Where do we sign up for that?

We will be on the Dream in January. Not sure how I really feel about not having a cloth on the table. I think the only thing that will bother me is the condensation on the glass not being absorbed by the tablecloth, therefore dripping on my clothes. I don't like that happening in any restaurant, be it fancy or not. Maybe I'll buy a package of cocktail napkins and always have a few of them in my purse, just for that purpose.

Not having tablecloths certainly won't ruin our cruise. But I've heard that smoked salmon is no longer offered on the small breakfast menu cards that you fill out the night before and hang on your door. One of my favorite things to do on a cruise is have breakfast on our balcony and smoked salmon is something I ordered every time. I will truly miss that. :( I haven't heard of anyone writing it in on their menu, but I think I'm going to try that and see if they will still let me have it. Can't hurt to try.

To the OP : I had a similar concern (although not as strongly felt) prior to our recent cruise on Sunshine as it was our first with the American Table experience (new menus and no tablecloths except on "elegant" nights").

If you can, go into it with as open a mind as you can. It really was no big deal and did not take anything away from the dining experience. Carnival's dining rooms have never been particularly upscale anyway what with the over-the-top decor in most of them and the singing/dancing waistaffs.

Water carafes are set in a large coaster to prevent damp spots on the table and no one at our table had an issue with water running off of the table onto their laps. There was no more noise than in the past. The tabletops are actually quite nice and we thoroughly enjoyed our evenings in the main dining room.

Tablecloths actually serve a purpose other than creating a nice table setting...they absorb sound. In a space as huge as the main dining room, eliminating tablecloths increases the decibel level of the room.

Every plate and piece of silverware hits the table just a tad 'louder'. All that talking? the noise is now bouncing off a hard surface instead of being absorbed into a softer surface.

Does it decrease the laundry? Sure. Make it easier for the waitstaff to change over tables and prep for the next day? Absolutely. And there are cruisers who don't care about the tablecloths. That's fine too...but this cruiser is one who like them.

To me its just one of the traditional aspects of main-dining-room cruising that means something to me. I would miss it...and as such Carnival will move even further down the list of choices for me.

Agreed 1000%!

Name this ship:

DININGROOM.jpg

As we (and the "we" is a personal pronoun not the all encompassing WE) continue to cruise, all lines, we notice, just like in our daily lives, that nothing stays the same and that changes are as likely as not. Our lives, for the most part, have become more casual and our surroundings often reflect that.

Cruising on a "cost conscious" line like Carnival ISN"T the same experience as it once was (for me I like the fact that it is more geared to families and our informal life styles). We would be perfectly happy if elegant night as it once was is even eliminated. We are happy not to pack "dressy" clothes, love going to dinner in our limited selection of casual clothes that fit into our carry-on luggage saving us luggage fees that translate into more money to spend "doing things" with the kids traveling with us.

Just like "at home" we don't choose restaurants based on their formal ambiance but rather the fact that they serve good food that we enjoy.

If Carnival's lack of ambiance "bothered" us we would make other choices, not come up with a gazillion reasons for being bothered. It's our "dollar" and we spend it on the product that best meets our needs. There are lots of choices out there...I'd rather focus my energy on what is offered rather than on what is not.

I am a foodie and enjoy dining in at least one upscale restaurant when travelling. In London a few years ago, I was lucky enough to dine in a 2 star Michelin restaurant - it did not have tablecloths, but the food and service was out of this world...same in Paris, I've eaten in some fantastic restaurants - no tablecloths either.

SWEET! Another tablecloth thread! These are as "great" as smoking and fashion police topics!

And we wonder why people go on rampages, just look at the responses for and against!! :eek:

In the grand scheme of things, is a rag on a table really worth all our effort debating for or against said rag on said table?

It is highly unlikely that we'll see them return as all corporations look for way so squeeze as much profit from every opportunity.

I'm not aware of any restaurants that use table cloths anymore.

Ruth's Chris? No

Daniels Broiler? No

El Gaucho? No

Metropolitan Grill? No

Sorry, none to be found

I don't know but the Ruth Chris I go to has table cloths but even if it didn't ir wouldn't stop me from going there.

Capital grill , Shulas, Mortons, all upscale and use table cloths

Maybe if you have an elegant table to start with. Carnival is upscale setting? Many restaurants send waitstaff to sing Happy Birthday. Go to Chuckie Cheese, they even have bears that play banjos. After you taste the food, you will forget the tablecloths. My prime rib had so much fat, Richard Simmons would have had a stroke.

Wasn't that Showbiz Pizza with the bears? I think we're both showing our age!

I am so disappointed to learn that the Dream does not use tablecloths in the MDRs. What's next? Paper plates and Red Solo cups?

One of the things I look forward to on cruises is going to dinner each night in an upscale setting. There isn't anything like that available in the town where I live. The ambiance of a formal dining room is so enjoyable. This change will definitely be unappreciated on my Dream cruise coming up next year.

Shame on Carnival for eliminating one more of the "niceties" of cruising.

oh, I'm sorry that your cruise experience for dinner will be unappreciated. For me, the niceties are more than just a white cloth -- it's service, food, friendliness and company that I'm with that makes the dining experience enjoyable. If I don't experience those, the table cloth isn't going to matter.

I do however, will go to the steak house the first night on every cruise to celebrate the beginning of a cruise where I can experience tablecloths -- it doesn't make a different though!

I do however, will go to the steak house the first night on every cruise to celebrate the beginning of a cruise where I can experience tablecloths -- it doesn't make a different though!

There were no tablecloths in Magics steakhouse. Im perfectly ok with that though.

Carnival-Magic-Prime-2484.JPG

silverware right on table ?:eek::eek::eek: they wipe it with soap and dirty cloth then put my forks?

Why on earth would they wipe the table with a dirty cloth? They wipe the table with a clean cloth. Having worked in restaurants, I can tell you that those cloths are put in a sanitizing solution when not in use and are very clean. You may not realize it, but they are also cleaning the kitchen in the back with those exact same types of cloths.

I am so disappointed to learn that the Dream does not use tablecloths in the MDRs. What's next? Paper plates and Red Solo cups?

One of the things I look forward to on cruises is going to dinner each night in an upscale setting. There isn't anything like that available in the town where I live. The ambiance of a formal dining room is so enjoyable. This change will definitely be unappreciated on my Dream cruise coming up next year.

Shame on Carnival for eliminating one more of the "niceties" of cruising.

Yes, yes, that's EXACTLY what's next - paper plates and Red Solo Cups. :rolleyes:

Please, it's a far leap from the removal of tablecloths (while maintaining a nice table setting with cloth napkins, bread plates, water and wine glasses) to paper plates and cheap plastic cups.

And for me, I'm happy that Carnival removed the tablecloths - I don't find them a "nicety" at all - they are a product of a bygone, out-of-date, out-of-fashion era who's time has past.

Edited by meatloafsfan

silverware right on table ?:eek::eek::eek: they wipe it with soap and dirty cloth then put my forks?

I always find this argument "for" tablecloths the most absurd. We (the collective we) eat most of our meals on the Lido deck where we sit at tables without cloths and put our utensils on the table wiped, I'm sure by the same method used in the dining room. Besides, even freshly laundered table cloths are exposed to air borne particulates the minute they are laid on the table.

Besides, the utensils on Lido are stacked in silverware holders where everyone grabs what they need, aren't they. Talk about germs.

Yup - because every dining establishment that doesn't utilize tablecloths uses soap and a dirty cloth to clean their tabletops. Heck, 99% probably don't even use the soap.

Please make sure you only dine where tablecloths are used otherwise its guaranteed your forks are touching a dirty table.

I always find this argument "for" tablecloths the most absurd. We (the collective we) eat most of our meals on the Lido deck where we sit at tables without cloths and put our utensils on the table wiped, I'm sure by the same method used in the dining room. Besides, even freshly laundered table cloths are exposed to air borne particulates the minute they are laid on the table.

Besides, the utensils on Lido are stacked in silverware holders where everyone grabs what they need, aren't they. Talk about germs.

Most of the silverware on Lido are wrapped in napkins. Soup spoons near the soap + fork for dessert are in containers near that station.

So, the Dream was not Dream-Y because of no table clothes on non-elegant nights in the MDR? Sorry, We've only been on 2 cruises since table clothes were removed, but were used on the elegant nights.

I guess I will never understand the infatuation many have with the less than upscale banquet style ship MDR...Then again I also can't locate what's upscale about conga lines and wait staff dancing on tables.

A very fancy dinner is what I desire most in a cruise also, but alas we are the minority it would appear. I would pay for an upscale dining venue if offered on the ship. Jacket and tie required would have me paying to eat there nightly, but again since we are the minority, that does not sound like a money maker for Carnival.