Private Tour Recommendation Needed

old sole

We have been in touch with three tour operators in Grand Cayman who all quoted a customized private tour for 7 of us (4 adults and 3 kids). We just want to spend roughly 3 hrs at the Turtle Farm with FULL ACCESS to both the original Turtle Hatchery portion of the park and also the newer waterslides/turtle lagoon/aviary section, followed by a stop at the Rum Cake Factory before returning to the dock.

The three who quoted the customized tour are Captain Marvin's, Tours by Locals, and Discount Excursions limited. Discount Excursion's quote is significantly lower than the other two. After exchanging clarifying emails with all three they all seem to be offering essentially the same excursion, so I am surprised at the price difference and wonder if I am missing something.

I'm looking for someone who has used Discount Excursions for a private tour to comment on how satisfied you were with them. In particular, I'd like to know if they provided truly private transportation or simply arranged a cab or something similar to take you and then another to pick you up at a prearranged time. Transportation cost seems to be the biggest cause for the difference in their quote. I like a bargain, but when the difference is this large I am wary.

I havent used discount tours but I have used captain marvins on many occasions and have been very happy with them. What kind of a price difference are we talking about? Have you asked the tour operator straight out "why are you X amount cheaper than John Does tour"

Thanks for the reply. Difference is more than $300 for the 7 of us, so hard to blow off unless I can turn up something problematic and so far I haven't.

I did write yesterday and asked specifically about the quoted cost for the transportation portion of the trip and pointed out that it seems low to me for a private shuttle (which is what they described).

I just got an answer that confirms it is a private shuttle - but there is a difference from the others that I guess I will have to take as the reason for the difference in cost. The other two sound more like a truly private van/driver assigned to us for the day. This one says we will check in at a kiosk where they will direct us to our shuttle, who will drop us off at the Turtle Farm then return for us at a prearranged time. A little less of a solid plan, but then again $300+ is a lot of money.

I'm inclined to go for it unless someone warns me off. Trip Advisor reviews seem generally good.

Are you paying by card or at least paying at the tours conclusion so you have reassurance that you wont be left somewhere after paying your fee? If you pay at the end or can pay by card (so you can dispute if needed) then me personally, I would give it a shot...300 bucks is some nice extra spending cash on your trip.

Thanks for the reply. Difference is more than $300 for the 7 of us, so hard to blow off unless I can turn up something problematic and so far I haven't.

I did write yesterday and asked specifically about the quoted cost for the transportation portion of the trip and pointed out that it seems low to me for a private shuttle (which is what they described).

I just got an answer that confirms it is a private shuttle - but there is a difference from the others that I guess I will have to take as the reason for the difference in cost. The other two sound more like a truly private van/driver assigned to us for the day. This one says we will check in at a kiosk where they will direct us to our shuttle, who will drop us off at the Turtle Farm then return for us at a prearranged time. A little less of a solid plan, but then again $300+ is a lot of money.

I'm inclined to go for it unless someone warns me off. Trip Advisor reviews seem generally good.

We did something like this but did it on the fly. Our group of 7 didn't like a lot of preplanning so when we got to GC I went to the taxi desk, and arranged a run to the turtle farm and rum factory. If we had stayed at the turtle farm more than an hour it would have been a drop off and pick up. It sounds like what you're paying for is whether the driver waits 3 hours while you're at the turtle farm. If he doesn't wait then he gets to make money doing other runs during that 3 hours thus reducing your cost. If it was some place other than GC I'd be wary, but the people there are of such good character that I would trust that your driver will be there to pick you up when he is supposed to be. I'd do the lower cost and enjoy.

You know, you can take the bus to the Turtle farm....$2.50 pp each way...stay as long as you like, and head back on the next bus. Not sure where the Rum cake factory is...but I'd bet a bus goes there, as well!

rum cake place is across the street :D

Across the street from what?

The stop I've usually heard referred to as the rum cake factory is in the middle of town, closer to the airport than the port. It is not near the turtle farm.

https://www.google.ca/maps/place/Tortuga+Rum+Company,+N+Sound+Rd,+George+Town,+Cayman+Islands/@19.2968133,-81.3642278,14z/data=!4m5!1m2!2m1!1sRum+cake+factory,+cayman!3m1!1s0x8f258658ae49d089:0xa6feda028b91ad01

There are lots of rum cake stores around, however.