On the Jewel - pool problems

The simplest solution to this is to not allow anything to ever be left on an unattended chair on sea days. Even to get up, walk to the bar, and back.

Have attendants constantly removing items from every chair the moment they are unoccupied. No tags, no timing, no exceptions. Unless a human being is laying in a chair, it is open.

Seems like it would be a pain in the neck, but seats would constantly be opened so even if you got in the pool and someone got in your chair there would be open chairs available elsewhere.

how would that work- what about people going in the pool they cant take their stuff in the water with them

The simplest solution to this is to not allow anything to ever be left on an unattended chair on sea days. Even to get up, walk to the bar, and back.

Have attendants constantly removing items from every chair the moment they are unoccupied. No tags, no timing, no exceptions. Unless a human being is laying in a chair, it is open.

Seems like it would be a pain in the neck, but seats would constantly be opened so even if you got in the pool and someone got in your chair there would be open chairs available elsewhere.

Unrealistic and unworkable....people go into the pool, people go to the WJ to pick up snack or for lunch, people go to the bar for a drink.....on ships with waterslides people go to the waterslide.

When I am on the pool deck, I have more on my chair than a towel and book. My pool bag is there and the people around me.....however a towel left behind means that person is just being inconsiderate of others, IMO.

I have noticed that a lot of people are just leaving their towels on the beds when they leave the pool area. When we collected towels on the first day, my seapass was scanned 4 times as I had taken 4 towels. Since then rather than handing them back and going through the scanning thing again, I have simply swapped them for clean ones and taken them back to the cabin. I am sure I read here on CC about people being charged at the end of the cruise for towels not returned. $25 a towel was mentioned. Has this practise now stopped? If not they are going to make a fortune out of people just leaving towels laying around.

I have noticed that a lot of people are just leaving their towels on the beds when they leave the pool area. When we collected towels on the first day, my seapass was scanned 4 times as I had taken 4 towels. Since then rather than handing them back and going through the scanning thing again, I have simply swapped them for clean ones and taken them back to the cabin. I am sure I read here on CC about people being charged at the end of the cruise for towels not returned. $25 a towel was mentioned. Has this practise now stopped? If not they are going to make a fortune out of people just leaving towels laying around.

Like you, I get towels on my first day and swap out wet ones for dry towels all cruise long. On some ships they swipe your seapass card when you first take towels and on other ships they don't; on port days, most ships swipe sea pass cards for towels that you are taking off the ship -- sometimes upon return there isn't someone standing there swiping your card again when the towel is returned, just a large hamper for you to drop it in.

In the end, I don't really think they actually charge anyone for towels; it just seems as if they want you to believe they will. It isn't as if the towels are worth taking home, they are NOT.

how would that work- what about people going in the pool they cant take their stuff in the water with them

I don't know if that is a real question. You place it on the ground, in a cubby, or literally anywhere except in a chair where someone might want to sit. We do it every time. Why do your flip flops need to take up a chair while you swim?

I don't know if that is a real question. You place it on the ground, in a cubby, or literally anywhere except in a chair where someone might want to sit. We do it every time. Why do your flip flops need to take up a chair while you swim?

not all people can do this- some have electronic medical equipment and that they could not risk getting either stood on or wet so wrap it up in a towel and place it on a bed that they can keep there eyes on the whole time. They also have emergency stuff that theyor a member of their party may need to get to quickly while they are in the pool. Not everyone is just leaving flip flops and books.

Unrealistic and unworkable....people go into the pool, people go to the WJ to pick up snack or for lunch, people go to the bar for a drink.....on ships with waterslides people go to the waterslide.

When I am on the pool deck, I have more on my chair than a towel and book. My pool bag is there and the people around me.....however a towel left behind means that person is just being inconsiderate of others, IMO.

Not unworkable at all. The fact that people are laying their junk around and then leaving for god knows where is the whole problem. You eliminate that by setting the expectation that you use a chair by SITTING IN IT. A chair isn't a nice comfy place to throw your book while you go eat or take a swim.

I am going to start leaving my shoes and vacation bag in a chair I want in the Schooner bar. That way, I can go to the windjammer and eat, go up to my room to get something, or go get photos printed and when I come back my seat is saved.

People only do this at the pool because it is allowed. Once it isn't allowed people won't do it. You don't leave your book and towel and clothes anywhere else on the ship because that isn't a thing people do. Once it isn't allowed at the pool, people won't do it there.

A benefit to this is that there is no reason to worry about having to reserve a seat by throwing your stuff there. If only the occupied seats are taken then you'll be able to find a chair when you come back. No holding seats for a friend, no reserving, no wait.

It's a culture change but in no way is it unreasonable or unfeasible.

Not unworkable at all. The fact that people are laying their junk around and then leaving for god knows where is the whole problem. You eliminate that by setting the expectation that you use a chair by SITTING IN IT. A chair isn't a nice comfy place to throw your book while you go eat or take a swim.

I am going to start leaving my shoes and vacation bag in a chair I want in the Schooner bar. That way, I can go to the windjammer and eat, go up to my room to get something, or go get photos printed and when I come back my seat is saved.

People only do this at the pool because it is allowed. Once it isn't allowed people won't do it. You don't leave your book and towel and clothes anywhere else on the ship because that isn't a thing people do. Once it isn't allowed at the pool, people won't do it there.

A benefit to this is that there is no reason to worry about having to reserve a seat by throwing your stuff there. If only the occupied seats are taken then you'll be able to find a chair when you come back. No holding seats for a friend, no reserving, no wait.

If the cruise line had a wall of lockers to use, maybe, just maybe it would accomplish what you believe should happen....but alas, they don't.

I have already looked at the Harmony diagrams and found the area where I will be finding a lounge to use, between the times I am going down the waterslides. In between slides, I will happily be enjoying my lounge chair.

To cruisegirl1 -- The OP (sandancer) of this thread did not offer the suggestion of talking to other guests about children being in the adult solarium area, it was CBatsea. Contrary to your opinion, I have no problem speaking with other cruisers first before enlisting the help of the pool attendants.

I also have no problem speaking with people who are sitting around the 'towel occupied chairs' on the pool deck either. They know if someone has been there or not in the last hour or so. I have removed towels from chairs that were left unoccupied by a human.....and people have probably returned and seen me sitting in the chairs and said nothing....simply because they know they were 'caught' doing what they should not have done.

Thank you Paulette. You are correct regarding the OP. (Sorry about that mistake - OP) I meant to write previous poster.

M

P.

Do not need to remove medical pumps when going to the windjammer so would have no need to leave in the Schooner bar - NOT the same as going in the pool- not everyone is the same different people have different needs

• 5 weeks later...

Actually I save my seat at other places too not just the pool. For instance, when Im at one of the bars I will leave my book or notepad that Im using. Along with cover my drink with a coaster and tilt my chair to save my spot. Now thats usually to run to the bathroom.. so I dont leave that spot for ungodly amouts of time just as I do with my pool chair.

Carnival has a great way to deal with chair hogs. They have chair police. Someone walks around putting a sticker with the time the chair was vacated, if your not back in 40mins (which I think it MORE than plenty time to allow you to not only hit the pool, potty and get some food) then they move your stuff and usually will help people find available chairs.

Unfortunately I have just learned that if you want a chair on a sea day, no sleeping in. Get up early and get your butt in a chair! Just nap in the sun, works the tan more LOL.

We are on the Jewel of the Seas right now and are very disappointed by the lack of effort put in by the pool attendants. They make no effort to collect towels from beds that have been empty for over 2 hours never mind 30 mins. One of them stated that there are simply not enough beds for everyone and they do not carry any in storage. So tough! I have never seen people lying on the deck on their towels before as on this ship. They are also turning a blind eye to the many children in the adults only pool and hot tub. Tried reporting it but was just shrugged off. It's not a big problem for us, we just sit on the balcony but for guests in inside or outside cabins, it's not good.
It's not a PROBLEM for you but you wrer complelled to post anyway. And have to laugh about your comment about folks lying on the deck on there towels, have NEVER EVER seen this is close to 60 cruises.....:rolleyes:

We were on Jewel from 17-24 July including the unexpected extra sea day due to not being able to port due to weather. we agree that there are not enough pool chairs or loungers for the number of passengers on the ship, and people were resorting to lying on towels on the upper decks. I did notice 'pool patrols' and the removal of towels and belonging on the sea days, but mostly in the morning when everyone was activelylooking for a spot. Also if a 'vacant' lounger was pointed out to pool attendants after a time they did take action. I also found that asking those around if the lounger was free often provided the answer. The area around the pool was most popular and to be fair most people did not seem to be reserving more seats than they used. There is more than enough space on the upper deck if more loungers were made available - RCL please add extra loungers.

The only problem we have ever encountered on any Royal ship was the Windjammer in the morning, on a ship sailing around Italy/Croatia...it was on the Legend of the Seas....You could NOT secure a table unless you sat down...if you left a sweater or anything at a table it was tossed on the ground and a senior was sitting there when you got back with your plate of food. We often had to eat poolside as there was not a chair to be had. That said, it was the only ship and only time we had an issue with anything.