Day in FLL post cruise

Hi All

I have read thru many of the threads and need some suggestions. For cost reasons we aren't flying home until 8:30 pm the day we disembark.

Thinking of renting a car to have a "rolling luggage rack" and then would like to see some sights around FLL - we are arriving late the night before the cruise and will just relax that morning before heading to the ship

Staying at HP on 17th (booked thru value trips - thanks for the tip!)

Two questions:

Does the HP provide shuttle to the port or will we need to cab it- and if cab approx cost?

Are there car rental kiosks at the port or shuttles to the different agencies?

Thanks - as always great tips on these boards.

We just did this in FLL. Our flight out was late so we took a cab back to the rental car center at FLL and picked up our rental car. The cab was around $20 or so and the rental car we booked via Costco travel with Alamo was only about $25. Unfortunately that day they had huge rain storms so we didn't do much sight seeing because it was too wet but we drove around and went to lunch. Much better than hanging out at the airport for hours.

We just did this in FLL. Our flight out was late so we took a cab back to the rental car center at FLL and picked up our rental car. The cab was around $20 or so and the rental car we booked via Costco travel with Alamo was only about $25. Unfortunately that day they had huge rain storms so we didn't do much sight seeing because it was too wet but we drove around and went to lunch. Much better than hanging out at the airport for hours.

Thanks - considering this, I am thinking about using the "bags to go" storage at the airport - if we have to go to the airport to rent a car than we can just store our bags there and use the Sun Trolley which is free to get to the downtown areas and the beach.

Thanks for your help!

I'm debating whether to right a car or not. Planning on one night post cruise with flight leaving 130 the following day. Would like to go up to sawmills

You mean Sawgrass Mills? A car is a great idea. The mall is massive and public transportation there would wear you out before you even got there.

Thanks - considering this, I am thinking about using the "bags to go" storage at the airport - if we have to go to the airport to rent a car than we can just store our bags there and use the Sun Trolley which is free to get to the downtown areas and the beach.

Thanks for your help!

I would just try and make arrangements with the concierge at Hyatt Place about dropping your bags there if you don't rent a car.

[i would just try and make arrangements with the concierge at Hyatt Place about dropping your bags there if you don't rent a car.

Would they do that even though we are not staying there on the back end?

We are only staying there one night PRE cruise...

For a nice tip they should be happy to store your bags, and earn your business on your next trip to the FLL area.

I've had some long layovers and what I did on occasion was book a room( thru Priceline) which provided a shuttle back to the airport. Was able to use all the amenities and then go back to the airport. Maybe you could find a hotel that also has shuttle from port.

I've had some long layovers and what I did on occasion was book a room( thru Priceline) which provided a shuttle back to the airport. Was able to use all the amenities and then go back to the airport. Maybe you could find a hotel that also has shuttle from port.

Thanks we did that in Hawaii for our 10:30 pm flight home but our flight from FLL is at 6:30 pm so by the time we disembark and get somewhere, we will only have about 6 ish hours to explore.

I definitely will speak to the concierge when we stay at the Hyatt pre-cruise! A tip for him/her would be the same cost at paying to store bags at the airport! And if that doesn't work out, we will head to the airport from the ship and "bags to go" will take our luggage till we get back!

Thanks all for the suggestions!

In September, we are planning on renting a car through Dollar (Thrifty) post cruise. They have a shuttle stop at the cruise port (confirmed through a call). The cost of a compact is $28, taxes/fees included, for pick up at the port and drop off at the airport the next morning. We are flying out early the next morning, so we'll do some sightseeing.

A few years ago, we took a 'tour' to the Sawgrass Recreation Park and did an airboat ride -- that was pretty interesting to park right next to an alligator (was a little uncomfortable about that). Anyway, the 'tour' took us from port to a local hotel which held our luggage, we waited there for 20 mins and then taken to the park, i.e., it was only transportation. I think we had about 90 mins. to do the ride and mini-zoo (which was enough time) until the shuttle back to the hotel, picked up our luggage and then to the airport.

In retrospect, a rental car would have been cheaper and less hassle.

In September, we are planning on renting a car through Dollar (Thrifty) post cruise. They have a shuttle stop at the cruise port (confirmed through a call). The cost of a compact is $28, taxes/fees included, for pick up at the port and drop off at the airport the next morning. We are flying out early the next morning, so we'll do some sightseeing.

A few years ago, we took a 'tour' to the Sawgrass Recreation Park and did an airboat ride -- that was pretty interesting to park right next to an alligator (was a little uncomfortable about that). Anyway, the 'tour' took us from port to a local hotel which held our luggage, we waited there for 20 mins and then taken to the park, i.e., it was only transportation. I think we had about 90 mins. to do the ride and mini-zoo (which was enough time) until the shuttle back to the hotel, picked up our luggage and then to the airport.

In retrospect, a rental car would have been cheaper and less hassle.

Are you sure the Dollar/Thrifty shuttle that picks up at Port Everglades isn't just taking you to their nearest location on Miami Road just outside the port gate and not to their FLL location :confused:

Are you sure the Dollar/Thrifty shuttle that picks up at Port Everglades isn't just taking you to their nearest location on Miami Road just outside the port gate and not to their FLL location :confused:

On my confirmation email:

I booked pick up from:

FT LAUDERDALE - PORT EVERGLADES, FL DLE

and drop off to:

FT LAUDERDALE INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT

I also called the pick up location and they told me that they pick up from the rental car shuttle location right at the port. I've never done this before, but I've seen other threads that pointed me to this.

On my confirmation email:

I booked pick up from:

FT LAUDERDALE - PORT EVERGLADES, FL DLE

and drop off to:

FT LAUDERDALE INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT

I also called the pick up location and they told me that they pick up from the rental car shuttle location right at the port. I've never done this before, but I've seen other threads that pointed me to this.

Good to know...so you change to another shuttle bus at the Miami Road location?

I'm presuming that they'll have the rental car at the Miami Road location.

even if we had to take a second shuttle that would be fine as our other option was to cab to the airport to store our baggage so we woukd have started from the airport anyway. thanks for the info. Please post after your cruise and let us know how it worked out.