Cozumal got trashed

Correct me if I'm wrong, but just until recently didn't RCI use tenders for this port??? I'm not trying to diminish the impact that this storm has had, but there is a chance that tourism will return before too long, or at least we can hope...:o

Correct me if I'm wrong, but just until recently didn't RCI use tenders for this port??? I'm not trying to diminish the impact that this storm has had, but there is a chance that tourism will return before too long, or at least we can hope...:o

We've docked there both times we've been there on cruises.

If in fact both the docks are damaged any ships that can get in their prior to the dock repair will have to tender! We were there in mid-Sept and the were still repairing damage from Hurr. Emily near the downtown dock at Senor Frogs and that was at Cat. 2 storm I think that went thru quickly... so at this point all is probably speculation... Kudos to RCI for sending a shipful of humanitarian aid.. I know that disrupts long made plans but they have some other options and the people in Coz definitely need it!

I think it will be awhile until the Cancun/Cozumel area will be in full swing again for tourists. Looting is rampant! Stores and businesses were stripped of their goods! A Hurricaine is one thing. We have no control over but to Loot and take advantage of a terrible and devastating situation is a "SIN"! and people involved should be punished. Even if you don't visit Cozumel RCL will be running their ships but will have to substitute other Ports of Call.

We were there on Wednesday as the storm approached. We were on the Grandeur and had to leave 4 hours early. The seas were really kicking up. They made all kinds of announcements before anyone was allowed to leave the ship. They even handed out papers to everyone as they left explaining that we were leaving early. 6 People missed the ship. We saw two of them running for the ship as we motored away. The seas that night were crazy with over 20 foot waves. We were docked at the international pier and already the pier was wet from spray of the waves that were crashing on them. There was a restaurant on the shore that was already starting to buckle as the waves crashed under it. I can only imagine how much worse it got. I would love to know what happened to the six who missed the ship. They said that the airport was packed with people trying to leave. I wonder if they were able to get a flight out or did they have to ride out the storm on the island.

RCI never used tenders in Cozumel, at least not in all the years that I have been crusing.

If in fact both the docks are damaged any ships that can get in their prior to the dock repair will have to tender! We were there in mid-Sept and the were still repairing damage from Hurr. Emily near the downtown dock at Senor Frogs and that was at Cat. 2 storm I think that went thru quickly... so at this point all is probably speculation... Kudos to RCI for sending a shipful of humanitarian aid.. I know that disrupts long made plans but they have some other options and the people in Coz definitely need it!

If the main docks have been destroyed, where would a tender land. You would think that if the large docks were destroyed by the storm any smaller docks suitable for tenders would have been destroyed as well. Even if the docks are repared and ships can come calling, what is the condition of all the places the passengers normally visit while in Cozumel. I have to admit though that the news reports that I heard were talking about devatation at Playa del Carmen and not in Cozumel.

I have heard little about Cozumel and what I have heard about the mainland is sorta ok with little looting and the army in place to help people. frankly I could care about the docks the people are where my heart is. I posted about when we could call for some info.

Have to ditto SuperJerry. We first visited Coz in 1994 and it was not a tender port then. We used the "old" pier then. It is truly a shame that Cozumel took such a beating. It is our favorite stop. Hopefully they can recover quickly, as tourism is the main source of income for the ialand. I find it strange that there seems to be scan coverage of the damage and destruction. Hopefully these folks will not be overlooked when the disaster aid is dispensed.

Thanks for the update cruisingator2. I know that we are supposed to stay on target of talking about cruising, my first love, but I am just getting ready to call Continental Airlines to see how they are to handle my reservations for this Friday to Cancun. I own 5 units in Cancun, on the beach. I used to be able to count the number of cruise ships that would leave Cozumel heading north in the evening, and a few that would come from the north in the early morning heading for Cozumel.

Rick

Thanks to all for the article updates. I've seen very few updates on Cozumel, which was one of our scheduled stops for January...we'll be watching for potential changes.

My thoughts and prayers all with all those in all the areas affected...we've watched/many have endured too much destruction this year.

I saw a few reports about Cozumel last night on Fox. Doesn't look good at all. Major pier damage, people stuck there, hoping that Continental Airlines is going to come and get them. Stuff in the street that has floated out of the stores (with blown-out storm doors).

I don't think Chankanaab Park is left...I saw another post on here about it. I loved it there so much. The dolphins were hopefully able to getout of their contained area; otherwise, I fear they would have been bashed around.

We are sailing there early Dec. Just booked Dolphin Discovery for my daughter, will I get refunded for this or will they be doing the dolphin swim?

Did you book it through the cruise line or through Dolphin Discovery?

Dolphin Discovery says on thier website if the ship doesn't make it, call them and they will refund your money. All they do is confirm it with the cruise line. If you booked it through the cruise line, call the cruise line to see if they will refund your money or provide an alternative excursion.

I booked mine through Dolphin Discovery's website for January so I hope it is back up and running by then.

Here is a picture taken at the international pier 4pm on wendesday. There is usually no wavs there and this is not the worse waves we saw. I am sure it got much worse after we left. You could actually see the roof on this building move when the waves crashed up at the floor below.

wavs.jpg.e815d6be3563302eacffa19287bc012f.jpg

I too am going on a cruise 1-7 that stops in Cozumel and I DO believe that they will do everything possible to be back by then! They can use another dock. We were in Granada in March and that too was very damaged but we still stopped there. It was depressing and still a mess, but they need their tourist industry back to survive!

Archived