Cozumal got trashed

I pray that the dolphins that they have penned up in Cozumel aren't harmed. That would be sooo sad. :(

I keep wondering about this also. Especially, since word is that Chankanaab Park got completely decimated! :eek: I hope they're ok and this is just one of many reasons why humans shouldn't use other species for pure pleasure.

I read somewhere that the dolphins had been moved to hotel pools.

Tourism is very important to these islands. Last September, Hurricane Ivan did a lot of damage to Grand Cayman. At one point, the entire island was underwater. They had wind gusts over 200 miles. There were reports of bodies floating down the streets.

The island reopened to cruise ships in November. Shopping and Excursions were almost back to normal by the our cruise stopped there in December. (Our snorkeling guide did begin the trip with, "Welcome to our island... or what's left of it.")

Tourism is the source of income to most residents. When I visited Grand Cayman last December, the island was still not open to hotel visitors, as hotels hadn't been repaired, and the island wasn't ready for overnight guests. But, it was important to them to have some tourism, so getting ready for cruise ship passengers was a top priority.

Go back a year and look for the Grand Cayman threads.

Most likely, any ships scheduled to call in Cozumel in the next couple of months will sail to Costa Maya instead. This was done last year because of the hurricane damage in Cayman. I would have never known about Costa Maya if we wouldn't have stopped there. It is a beautiful place and I am excited to return.

Fausto

I mistakenly put up a post yesterday that referenced damage reports from a previous storm. I kept looking and found this site that has a great deal of information regarding Wilm damage to Cozumel, Cancun and surrounding areas. There is a specific thread for Cozumel damage. The server can be slow when there are a lot of users and it will sometimes fail to load, but it seems to be better today than yesterday. There is on thread on there from a guy who was taking pictures and uploading them real time as the storm was over Cancun. I think he was using a power generator and somehow the phone lines were intact. It is fascinating.

Link:

http://www.playa.info/playa-del-carmen-forum/wilma/

Most likely, any ships scheduled to call in Cozumel in the next couple of months will sail to Costa Maya instead. This was done last year because of the hurricane damage in Cayman. I would have never known about Costa Maya if we wouldn't have stopped there. It is a beautiful place and I am excited to return.Fausto

And what is your prediction if Costa Maya is already a scheduled stop in addition to Cozumel?

Do you think they will make a decision on ports week by week? Or if it becomes clear Cozumel will not be accepting cruisers for some time, will they start changing itineraries further out date-wise? We are to sail 12/15, and I'm wondering when we will know what the ports of call will be. I'd like time to make some plans.

We just went on the Grandeur last week on the same cruise as Ziggydaddy. The weather started to turn when we left Cozumel. We were docked at the internationl pier. RCL docks either there ro Punta Langosta pier.

I heard the people left behind were situated at hotels, but I wonder if they were able to get off the island as well!

We have Costa Maya and Grand VCamyan already and Belize. I cetainly don't want Jamaica!!! My parents are going too and they will hate it. We also have alot of 20-30 yr olds in our group who booked especially to be in Cozumel until 11pm that night! Cancun would be a better choice! All I can do is wait and see.... Those of you with earlier cruises than Jan Keep me posted on what happens!

Thanks for the photos Rangerdog. My jaw dropped when I saw them. I was just in Cozumel 3 weeks ago and we are scheduled on the Explorer of the Seas to go back thanksgiving week but it doesn't look like that is going to happen. I simply can't imagine being there while all that was going on. I pray everyone was safe. One of the kids on a hocky team that I coach was in Cancun and did not make practice last night so I am assuming he and his family is still down there.

Cobob

Correct me if I'm wrong, but just until recently didn't RCI use tenders for this port??? I'm not trying to diminish the impact that this storm has had, but there is a chance that tourism will return before too long, or at least we can hope...:o

We have done Cozumel on 3 different lines including RCI and have never been tendered in. NMNita

I have heard little about Cozumel and what I have heard about the mainland is sorta ok with little looting and the army in place to help people. frankly I could care about the docks the people are where my heart is. I posted about when we could call for some info.
I think we all care about the people but it is natural for those planning on stopping in Cozumel in the next few months to wonder what alternatives will be available if, indeed they don't sail there. We have been told NCL will most likely make a decision as to Cozumel or other islands by the end of the week. I would imagine all lines will be filling us in soon. NMNita

We have done Cozumel on 3 different lines including RCI and have never been tendered in. NMNita

We tendered into Coz once while cruising on Splendour; three other cruise lines did as well. There were 13 ships in port that day and it was too rough to anchor so it was quite an adventure!

A Carnival ship tendered into Coz in February... so that's a possibility if they can get enough repaired.. with 3 piers to fix I would think they'd do one at a time.. We were there in Sept. and now that we know Sr. Frogs and all that area is completely destroyed our pictures taken such a short time ago look very odd.... they came back after Gilbert in '98(??) and will do so again.. but the power and the residents' homes and livelihood are first priority .they need tourist income and day cruisers will def. be there before they get all these hotels up and running!

Maybe they will use Playa del Carmen.. Power on most of the town already and it's really a neat litlte town.. can tender in there..

A Carnival ship tendered into Coz in February... so that's a possibility if they can get enough repaired.. with 3 piers to fix I would think they'd do one at a time.. We were there in Sept. and now that we know Sr. Frogs and all that area is completely destroyed our pictures taken such a short time ago look very odd.... they came back after Gilbert in '98(??) and will do so again.. but the power and the residents' homes and livelihood are first priority .they need tourist income and day cruisers will def. be there before they get all these hotels up and running!

Maybe they will use Playa del Carmen.. Power on most of the town already and it's really a neat litlte town.. can tender in there..

My daughter and extended in-law family were scheduled to go to Cozumel Nov. 5th for a week and they cancelled. I found a blog on the internet and it said that the only ship going into Cozumel was a RCCL that was bringing in medical supplies, food, etc. It also said that they may not have electric or water for 4-6 weeks. The ferry system was also destroyed.:(

Archived