US State Department Travel Advisories

Does your life insurance policy cover death or dismemberment due to terrorism if you are on a cruise in a war zone such as Turkey?

Does Travel Insurance cover you and/or your family's death and dismemberment(returning body home, or receiving medical treatment) due to terrorism during your cruise?

Edited by Kingofcool1947

Does your life insurance policy cover death or dismemberment due to terrorism if you are on a cruise in a war zone such as Turkey?

Does Travel Insurance cover you and/or your family's death and dismemberment(returning body home, or receiving medical treatment) due to terrorism during your cruise?

Read your policy

Repatriation of remains

Let's not confuse canceling a trip due to terrorism with accidents injuries delays etc due to terrorism

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Btw I just read my policy for my upcoming trip and it covers pretty much everything you can think of if a terrorism attack occurs with a 1 mile radius of a city I am visiting within 30 days of my scheduled arrival in that city

So I guess the timeframe was from 30 days prior to yesterday up to 30 days forward

So if I were arriving next week it appears I could cancel

My policy also says the attack must occur after the effective date of my coverage...and effective date means the date the insurance company gets my payment according to the certificate

Of course you can't file the claim until the day you were supposed to start your trip at 12:01 am

So if I were going within the next 30 days ...I'm covered in this case

Of course I dont buy basic policies...I buy gold or silver...

For our next trip which is a cheapo...I only bought $1500 for the 2 of us...

The cruise cost is $1100 and the one way air is $400

Remember you do not insure port taxes and fees or prepaid dsc or an other refundable cost

If we had a non refundable hotel night I would have gone the next increment up to $2000

My main concern is the medical anyway but trip delay is also a priority as is cancellation and I always buy within 14 days of deposit

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by Crusin6

Tourists, especially Americans, either have to be crazy, out of touch with reality, or have a death wish, to want to visit Turkey these days.

Cruise companies agree Turkey is an unsafe, dangerous war zone, and don't want their passengers getting killed due to acts of terrorism there. Too bad, but that's reality of the dangerous times in Turkey. It's a war zone there.

Please respect Host Bonjour's request at the beginning of this thread, as follows:

The choice to travel to Turkey or not, is personal. The choice to respect another traveler's choice to travel is requested and required, as ever, per our TOS. Thank you :)

Our overnight call into Istanbul with Cunard on 18th July has now been changed to stops in Thessaloniki and Volos. Suits me as I have visited Istanbul before but upsetting for those who booked the cruise for Istanbul and the Dardenelles.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I would caution all travelers to avoid getting their travel advice from non-qualified persons/organizations. Read the travel advice web pages from government agencies - don't depend on tabloid headlines, bloggers, or social media.

Appreciate these links and specific details. YES, there is no "ban" on traveling Istanbul. Just an awareness of "situations" there and in other parts of the world. It could be London, Paris, Brussels, New York City, etc. There are "risks" in life! Even sitting at home and/or going up and down the stairs in your home could have adverse results. It's a personal choice and decision. BUT, each individual needs to both be aware and carefully weigh their options.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

From our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean combo sailing over 26 days that started in Barbados, here is the link below to that live/blog. Lots of great visuals from this amazing Brazil river and these various Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, etc.) that we experienced. Check it out at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Now at 40,213 views for these postings.

The thing with terrorist strikes is you do not know when or where they will happen. Saying not to go to a place after a strike is something akin to closing the barn door after the horse has gone.

It is tragic that these things happen and understandable that people are afraid to go to a place after a horrific attack. However, it is not necessarily rational. Paying close attention to government warnings is prudent.

I bet there are going to be some deals in the next while for those willing to go to Turkey on their own.

Has CC done a synopsis of what the cruise lines are doing in response?

Hi buggins,

As ever, anything by way of "breaking news" would likely come in the form of either a specially drafted member email or, depending on the timing of our regularly published email release, included as a top news item.

Keep an eye on the CC home page and your inbox but of course as previously stated in my OP, if you're booked or were thinking of booking a cruise calling to Istanbul or elsewhere in Turkey, only your cruise line will have answers.

One imagines that perhaps not every line will withdraw from calling at Turkey, Europe and the world are truly all in this fight together. Evil has been beat down countless times in history and in the last century - and it is being beat down again.

One can also only hope for the best accommodations in the event of port cancellations and rescheduling tours, hotels, flights etc., the least amount of inconvenience - things generally tend to work out. Keep going, keep smiling, keep cruising :)

Thanks everyone for helping to keep this thread mostly positive, thoughtful, introspective and on point. It went a bit off track ;) but that's life....it's been quite a week.

As to travel insurance, which came up and is valid but beyond the scope of what we could hope to grapple with here on a message board - best to contact directly whomever sold you your policy after having read through the dreaded fine print :eek: though I reckon nearly everyone here has done this in the past...always best to double check one's coverages. As we are quite an international group here and also spread across regions, states, etc., the various laws, clauses in play are just too vast to compare here. Direct questions to the source get the right answers every time and if you ever don't feel like you've got the right answer? Ask to speak to someone else!

It can be difficult when something like this happens, to recall what's good about a place or that anything IS good at all - the hype (24 hr news/internet) factor kicks in. Everyone is plenty aware but the other option - staying home all the time - well that's not foolproof either (as Terry states, things happen!) and some folks just need to wander. Keep wandering beyond home, it's amazing out there - the places, the people. :)

(and again - we don't have to agree with each other, but we always need to respect each other....thx cruisemom)

Edited by Host Bonjour

We have wonderful memories of Istanbul too and spent four days before embarking on a cruise to Rome in October. I pray for a safe trip home with your family.

My heart goes out to you. Agreed to continue to keep living. And, I embrace the memories and never forget those who lost their lives.

Thank you Debbie - and we did keep living although the first few days and weeks, it's hard to remember how, though I do remember one thing and maybe it can help even now...

Naturally, all the world and everyone in NYC was riveted to CNN - that was the start of the "crawl" on the bottom of news casts...think I watched probably 48 hours straight through, no joke. Land lines didn't work for a few days, we could not get around - not where I lived - roads were restricted to emergency and official vehicles only. I had great neighbors but we were all numb - some didn't come home, one did escape from Tower 2...it goes on.

Anyway - CNN or the local news - that I cannot remember, someone started having psychologists on the news to come on (probably the local news) to tell us in NYC....STOP WATCHING THE NEWS....and I did. It helped a lot, watching wasn't helping at all - what was going to change? Nothing. Somehow, we had to start healing, start living, even if we felt horrible, and we did. We walked around like zombies (not exaggerating) just barely able to manage a hello to one another...but we kept going. Amidst countless posters with missing people spread all over my Brooklyn neighborhood - for some odd reason a majority of the people that worked in the office atop Tower 1 lived in our area. All the streets were eventually renamed, especially the one around the corner, after a fire rescue worker.

And so....things like this, all connected to that - 15 years ago - and centuries really, what people go to see in Turkey, part of the cradle of civilization, we have to sometimes unplug - step back, disconnect, forget the media and think of each other...that so many people really are good and the world is too.

About a month after, and it kept going, my favorite band came back to NYC to perform when NO ONE was coming to NYC; that opened the flood gates and then everyone came to NYC. The Yankees made it to the World Series (but lost - we were still having fun) and things slowly started getting better...slowly. We started to breathe again, smile, sing, laugh. Visitors coming helped a lot - the fear subsided. I think Istanbul will need that too, any city where things like this happen - Paris, London, Madrid, Brussels, and some countries that don't make the news because they aren't "quite" tourist destinations though British tourists were affected in Tunisia.

Again, it's a personal choice for SO many important reasons, to go or not go...it won't work for everyone at a certain time and that's OK. But if there's a way, there will be big smiles greeting you because when things like this happen, it hurts and friendly smiles are always welcome :) :) :) And if anyone here came to NYC anytime since 9/11 (or before) thank you too. And if you thought "nah, not for me" I understand that too...it's cool ;)

Just keep on travelin'

Hi buggins,

As ever, anything by way of "breaking news" would likely come in the form of either a specially drafted member email or, depending on the timing of our regularly published email release, included as a top news item.

Keep an eye on the CC home page and your inbox but of course as previously stated in my OP, if you're booked or were thinking of booking a cruise calling to Istanbul or elsewhere in Turkey, only your cruise line will have answers.

One imagines that perhaps not every line will withdraw from calling at Turkey, Europe and the world are truly all in this fight together. Evil has been beat down countless times in history and in the last century - and it is being beat down again.

One can also only hope for the best accommodations in the event of port cancellations and rescheduling tours, hotels, flights etc., the least amount of inconvenience - things generally tend to work out. Keep going, keep smiling, keep cruising :)

Thanks Bonjour...I noticed yesterday CC did post a compilation of what all the companies were doing:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=7102

A bit of perspective.

Turkey suffered several terrorist attacks in 2016, killing dozens of people.

The USA had 167 mass shootings during the first 6 months of 2016, killing 243 people and wounding 652 people. That is nearly ONE ATTACK EVERY DAY. Some of these attacks were called foreign terror attacks; some were called domestic terror attacks; others were just called nut jobs. The people who died - and their grieving families - probably did not really care what the attacks and attackers were called.

Japan has issued a warning to it's citizens to avoid travel to the USA, citing the dangers.

Comparing Turkey to the USA, I would feel safer in Turkey.

Maybe the cruise lines should avoid US Ports ??

I think it all comes down to the issue that people are more comfortable with dangers in their own country and unfamiliar dangers can easily put us out of our comfort zone. Such as the "danger" of spiders sharks and snakes in my country.

In 2011 we were booked on a HA cruise to Egypt and Israel as well as four Turkish ports, one being really close to the Syrian border. Not one but twice they cancelled our stops to Egypt. In the end we got to all the ports but HA made a very late decision to reinstate them.