1 Family Suite or 2 rooms for 5 adults?

brandi_7998

We are considering a family cruise next year on Spring Break..the Dawn. There are 5 of us. 2 adults 3 adult children 19,18, and 17. We would kind of like to experience a suite but can only afford 1 room if we do that. So our choices...1 suite for all of us... giving up privacy and spending about $1300 more OR 1 balcony and 1 picture window room? This will probably be the last vacation we take for a long while. So are the perks of a suite worth $1300 and no privacy?

Not in my opinion. I booked three OV for my family of six (all children are 19+) rather than the family suite. It was actually more expensive, but three bathrooms and privacy is always better. Suite perks on non-Haven ships are minimal.

Edited by Boschmann

Not in my opinion. I booked three OV for my family of six (all children are 19+) rather than the family suite. It was actually more expensive, but three bathrooms and privacy is always better. Suite perks on non-Haven ships are minimal.

Another vote for this option. With adjoining balcony cabins, you can have the divider opened and have one huge balcony. You could also do a balcony and an opposite inside cabin to save some money.

:)

Suite perks on non-Haven ships are minimal.

That is absolutely not true. Only difference between regular suites and Haven suites is the access to Haven. Also only half of ships with Haven have dedicated restaurant (meaning availability of private dinner), so only a fraction of ships have that perk to begin with.

So in reality the difference in perks between regular suites and Haven suites is minimal.

We are booked in a 2br suite on the Pearl departing on Sunday.

Our kids are 20, 17 and 14, but the boy(14) is 6 feet tall so the size of an adult.

The girls are getting the small bedroom and bath, the boy will get the couch and share the master bath with us.

I know the promos have changed and I have not really looked into the differences, but when I booked the Choice promo offered was much much more for the suite category that made the decision a lot easier.

I was able to get, UBP (soda package for kids), UDP (all 5 of us, doesn't exist in this form anymore), $300 OBC, and prepaid DSC for first 2 guests. All in all over $2000 in perks when I could get about $600 at best for 2 non suites.

I do not foresee, the room accommodations or privacy to be an issue for out family, but if so I will be sure to come back and post.

Edited by titangas

I've only sailed in the Family Suite on Dawn (no balcony, supposedly sleeps 6 with the Murphy bed - and not all have one, so be sure to look). I wouldn't do it with more than 3 adults.

If you're super slim people and get along really, really well, you could technically fit 3 in the King bed and two in the Murphy or Murphy/couch. But the room is crammed with furniture with the Murphy down, so I have no idea how anybody could move if the sofa were opened at the same time! (A small child could sleep on it without it being "made up" to save space)

If a 2BR suite is not an option, I'd get more than one regular room. Suite perks are nice, but your family members are old enough that space to spread out will make for a far more relaxing and fun vacation than being crammed in and getting perks.

The kids can keep their own schedule, and so can you -- priceless!

That is absolutely not true. Only difference between regular suites and Haven suites is the access to Haven. Also only half of ships with Haven have dedicated restaurant (meaning availability of private dinner), so only a fraction of ships have that perk to begin with.

So in reality the difference in perks between regular suites and Haven suites is minimal.

We will have to disagree. While Jewel class would be a step up in amenities, Epic and Away Havens are vastly different and are more of a consideration for moving to a suite. I still say Dawn class suites don't offer near as much. I feel there are too many regular suites on Dawn class to get truly personalized service (exception for GV). I kind of felt the same way when booked in H9 (as you know, not in actual Haven) on Breakaway though. In addition to the added room/amenities of the Haven itself, I found concierge services much more handy on the newer Haven ships than non-Haven. If OP was on a newer Haven ship or looking at a higher level suite I might have voted otherwise.

With "adult" kids...I'd get 2 cabins....no need (at that age) for connecting cabins! Young adults like to sleep in...and they generally are much messier than adults. Keep your privacy and sanity...and let them do their own thing in their own cabin! I guarantee they don't even need a view...just a place to crash! An inside cabin will be just fine for that age!