Uber or Shuttle to PoM?

glamer57

My family of 4 (me, husband, and 2 children aged 5 and 9) will be taking a cruise out of PoM in November. We are from Jacksonville, FL, so the plan is to rent a car that Friday after we get off work, drive to and spend the night in Orlando, then drive on Saturday to MIA to drop off the rental before heading to the cruise port. Would it be cheaper to book a shuttle from the airport to the cruise port, or to take an Uber? What are your thoughts? Are we even able to catch an Uber to the cruise port?

Thanks for your help :-)

An Uber will cost about the same as a taxi because taxis have low fixed rates from MIA to POM, $25. This is the total charge. Shuttles charge per person, so compare your quotes to this. The only thing I'm not sure about is whether or not you have to take the MIA Mover train from the car rental garage back to the airport terminals to get that flat rate fare. Does anyone know for sure?

Edited by royalcruz

The flat rate taxi fare from MIA to POM is $27 - still good deal. Uber might save you a few $$, but with 4 plus bags you will likely need Uber XL while van and SUV cabs will go for the same $27+tip fare.

Your other option is to rent from National, Alamo or Thrifty (and maybe Enterprise?) and use their free shuttle from their MIA airport location to POM. If you are using a rental to get back home the same companies will pick you up at POM (show the driver your reservation paperwork) and shuttle you to their MIA airport location.

Hertz, Avis and others have offices in downtown Miami close to POM - a $12 cab ride if they do not shuttle; for downtown rentals without a shuttle I would drop off the wife, kids and bags before returning the car.