Drink package gratuity 18%

I have a question regarding drink packages and the 18% gratuity. I have purchased the premium drink package for my husband and myself. I’ve seen in our cruise papers that there is an 18% gratuity on drinks. I assume that means that 18% will be added to our cruise account; but what I don’t know is if the 18% is based on each drink we order or based off of the dollar amount we paid for the premium drink package.

If you have already purchased the drink package the 18% gratuity would have been included in the final price you paid. You will not be charged any additional gratuity on the ship (unless you want to tip extra - your choice;)).

We always tip the servers directly and it seems to work well for assuring attentive service and better portions (at least before automated dispensers). I think I would be inclined to view the 18% as a "tax" and continue to tip (perhaps a little less) at the time of delivery. Never hurts to be a "George".

We always tip the servers directly and it seems to work well for assuring attentive service and better portions (at least before automated dispensers). I think I would be inclined to view the 18% as a "tax" and continue to tip (perhaps a little less) at the time of delivery. Never hurts to be a "George".

Of course that's your choice to view it as a "fee" but it is a "gratuity" just so no one is confused.

Also just an FYI everyone...if you opt to purchase one of those drink cards onboard (10 drinks for $85.00) those do not include the 18% gratuity.

It says in RCI literature that the tip is included in the package, so the 18% is definitely not a tax.

Tips much as you want. Be a hero.

Also just an FYI everyone...if you opt to purchase one of those drink cards onboard (10 drinks for $85.00) those do not include the 18% gratuity.

When I bought a drink card, it included the gratuity. Or, at least, the gratuity was charged at the time on the cost of the card. I think, in my case on the Liberty, the card was $67 + 18% for a total of $79.06

When I bought a drink card, it included the gratuity. Or, at least, the gratuity was charged at the time on the cost of the card. I think, in my case on the Liberty, the card was $67 + 18% for a total of $79.06

The brochure I just brought home with me from Adventure says 10 drinks for $85.00 (not surprised this and many things can very by ship)...18% gratuity will be added to your bill....now whether that's when you purchase the card originally or it's as each drink is purchased...I'm not sure...but seems likely it's as each drink is purchased possibly so that gratuity would go to that server. (note I didn't purchase this option) however when we asked guest services about some extra OBC we had on the last night and wanted to thank a certain bar server we were told that writing that extra tip on the bar bill it would go directly to him.

I think 18% on opening a beer or pouring a glass of wine or a simple cocktail is ample! If you want to tip more than that, it's your money...but you certainly don't have to! The 18% you are charged IS THE TIP.