Cancelling my Escape and going back to Celebrity....

mystic51

I decided a couple of months ago to give NCL another try after a couple of not very good cruises about 8 years ago... received an email with a special for the Escape with beverage package, 4 night specialty dining and received a $150 obc. Was surprised when I booked it that the gratuties were not included for the "free" beverage and dining packages. In fact, the free turned into an additional $188 for the 2 of us. (Packages are now even higher)..

Received an email today for a firecracker sale.. thought I'd check out NCL special to see if it might lower our cost... did not, but I was told about a Celebrity special. Having sailed with Celebrity numerous times in the past, and always very happy with the service, food, ships etc, decided to look at it. Ended up booking a Balcony 2B.. with free beverage package, $300 obc and tips included for hundreds less than NCL, actually less than $1100 per person. I'm cancelling our NCL cruise and going back to Celebrity..

Can anyone tell me why NCL charges the additional costs for their beverage and dining packages and advertises them as "free".. not really a free perk as they are on other cruiselines... I do believe from reading the reviews that NCL has improved over the years, and will probably give them another try, but it's hard to with all the extra costs..

But people are noticing, en masse.

I started this thread a couple of weeks ago were I outlined my most recent "leaving NCL" experience.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2369247

It's gotten out of hand. I cannot rationalize how they tack on the gratuities for a free promotion. I just don't get it. And when you book with another line who offers a free (and better!) all-inclusive beverage package, you start to feel a little dirty about having almost paid $188 extra for something that's billed as free. It's not even so much about the money, it's the principle... and the money.

ncl-feel-fee.jpg

But people are noticing, en masse.

Well yeah, eventually. That's the fatal flaw in the strategy. In the 1980s, Robert Crandall, then head of American Airlines, cleverly calculated that if you removed just one olive from every salad served to passengers, nobody would notice … and the airline would save $100,000 a year. If that's ALL you change, then great, but it never stops just there. They keep chipping away. Just like how most customers don't notice as it's happening, the executives don't see the harm of adding just one more straw to the camel's back. You can guess where that leads.

Take away fireworks. Ah who needs fireworks? Replace UDP with SDP. Then charge gratuities. Make some restaurants a la carte to encourage people to buy a SDP if not one of the perks. Raise the DSC (twice). Replace Nickelodeon with some generic kids program. Chip, chip, chip.

Still irritated that my nearly identical cruise on the GA exactly one year apart in the exact same room cost $350 more (likely because I had to pay for my "free" dining perk. Which would have cost me maybe $100 otherwise).

Next cruise is on Princess. And so it goes.

One less person in the buffet line. Bye!

These comments are funny when someone says they are bailing because of something trivial. But when people consistently point out legitimate ways where NCL is genuinely missing the mark financially, "bye" is just silly.

I appreciate a good jab on this board as much as the next guy. But NCL's moves are glaring. Look at the thread I linked in post #2. How can you explain away a $1250 + PER PERSON differential between what is essentially the same product? A quippy "bye" doesn't get it done.

Edited by triptolemus

Still irritated that my nearly identical cruise on the GA exactly one year apart in the exact same room cost $350 more (likely because I had to pay for my "free" dining perk. Which would have cost me maybe $100 otherwise).

I'm in the same boat (pun). :D

Exactly 1 year apart and same stateroom but $300 more, no included gratuities, 3SDP instead of UDP, Excursion credit vs $300 OBC, 3-8 free vs 3 & 4 free (no difference in my case).

I like the product but I'm always looking to try new things. MSC Seaside (in 2018 for me) is a perfect example.

Hoping that Breakaway Plus #3 is impressive...

These comments are funny when someone says they are bailing because of something trivial. But when people consistently point out legitimate ways where NCL is genuinely missing the mark financially, "bye" is just silly.

I appreciate a good jab on this board as much as the next guy. But NCL's moves are glaring.

In all honesty, the gratuities are minimal compared to the return, if you utilize the perk. If not, don't accept the perk and move on. My very first cruise, I spent just over $900.00 on our bar tab, including tips. I have no problem ensuring that employees receive their tips, without having to or feeling obligated to tip additionally. It's becoming a common practice here in the Northwest and I suspect, as the fight for $15.00 hamburger flippers continues, it will elsewhere. I do understand it's about the bottom line and I respect that. At the end of the day though, the charge is really small, compared to the return on the perk itself. Just my opinion.

Edited by GrabMyWrist

Coming from Celebrity and their drink package, I thought the same exact thing. In fact, when I first attempted to book with both the dining and drink perk, I was so stunned and upset by the extra $350 on the fare with the "free" packages that I decided not to book right then. I ended up booking later, but choosing wifi instead of dining, which cut the price and made it hurt less.

Celebrity's product is extremely enticing. They are a lot better in many ways, food and beverage package being two of them. But, NCL still has Celebrity beat on entertainment and from what I can tell, children's/teen activities. Since Disney is so incredibly expensive, this means NCL has a major advantage with the family demographic over lines like Celebrity/Princess/HAL. Additionally, keeping their fleet youthful through these young families further entices those like my husband and myself who do not have kids but are in our 20s/30s.

In truth, my husband and I would both say Celebrity S-class ships are still our first choice after trying our first NCL cruise. We loved it and will certainly go back when we have kids, but Celebrity was less expensive and offered more value. The things that made our NCL voyage so awesome were Vibe and the spa, both added cost and at least for Vibe, not at all a guarantee until you walk on the boat and have the passes in hand. We did feel nickel and dimed more on NCL. That all said, we'll go wherever the best value is. A cruise will be enjoyable to us no matter what line it's on, so we'll be strategic with our hard-earned money.

I know a lot of people get annoyed at threads like this, but think of it this way: if this board was just a love-fest for NCL worshiping, there would be little incentive to keep prices competitive or to change anything in a positive way for the consumer. I honestly believe NCL values their customer's input and specifically, understand the force that this board is. I know on my NCL exit survey there was a question specifically about cruise critic. So they know, they read, and hopefully, they learn.

Paying the gratuities sucks, but you're missing out on an amazing ship. Your loss. Enjoy your travels!

Yes, I'm sure Escape is an amazing ship, however, so is Celebrity Reflection.. and for the cost difference, it's really a no brainer for us..

Yes, I'm sure Escape is an amazing ship, however, so is Celebrity Reflection.. and for the cost difference, it's really a no brainer for us..

Absolutely! When price point is the most important thing, we'd do the same if we found a better deal. Enjoy!

Can you elaborate on the cost differences you have found? I'm sure it is more than just the $188 you mentioned above.

I'd like to put this thread in the correct prospective for my fellow poster up there who wants to limit this conversation to the promo gratuities only, because, you know conversations and thoughts never progress...

NCL Escape Jan, 2017 Balcony total cost with taxes/port charges $2487 plus $188 gratuities for Specialty Dining and Beverage package. $2675 total.. $150 obc... Celebrity Reflection Jan, 2017 Balcony 2A total cost with taxes/port charges $2196 ... includes all gratuities, beverage package, $375 obc

I agree 100% that adding gratuities on what is advertised for free is ridiculous and why I've opted out of "accepting" their freebies. However, comparing the two ships is really apples to oranges in amenities that each ship offers and there's no way Celebrity has the entertainment and numerous active options NCL offers.

I agree.. however, I'm 68 and my husband is 66. If we were taking our grandchildren, Escape would be a better option for the kids programs, water slides, etc.. For us, this will be a better option this trip..

We are not really loyal to any cruise line but for the past several years have been cruising Celebrity in the spring and NCL in the fall because of the convenience of NJ/NY departures. In November we are sailing the Breakaway in a Haven suite to FL/Bahamas for the third year in a row. NCL does suites as well as or better than any other line that we've sailed and we love the Haven. When the 2017 Breakaway fall schedule was released this week we called our PCC to ask about the Haven for November 2017. The same suite for the same week we have this November would have cost over 46% more next year. Beverage package gratuities are included with the Haven but we would have gotten one less night of specialty dining (and had to pay gratuities which were included this year) and gotten $150 credit for shore excursions (which we probably wouldn't use) instead of prepaid gratuities. As a result we'll be flying to FL next November and taking a Panama Canal cruise on Princess. The cost will be about the same as NCL would have been so it's not really a money issue but rather a matter of principal. We've never had a bad cruise and will have a great cruise this year on the Breakaway but it's time for us to move on.

I sail many of the lines talked about here at CC. Frankly, I see complaints being leveled at all of them....about prices, food, taking away certain expected "perks", service, etc. They all have someone (or some people) who are irritated.

I get it. I try to glean some information I didn't have before about upcoming cruises. I run into this on every cruise line's thread. What I don't get however, is the need to try to bring everyone else into the "I'm taking my ball somewhere else to play" routine. Or, "I'm unhappy and I am going to do my best to tell you I'm unhappy". Truth told, we can't help you. And, it's not helpful to those of us who like to cruise on any of these lines.

What/where/with whom you cruise is different for all of us. What's good for you, may or may not be good for others.

In this case, if you're cancelling your NCL cruise to sail Celebrity, more power to you. Have fun! Announce your reasons over on the Celebrity boards. But, having someone try to shoot holes in others' plans here, or with any other cruise line, is just mean spirited. Maybe you meant to do that, maybe you didn't. The effect is still the same.

Thought I would add the latest . NCL will no longer allow soda's, water and juices to be brought on .

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2373703

Can you elaborate on the cost differences you have found? I'm sure it is more than just the $188 you mentioned above.

I'd like to put this thread in the correct prospective for my fellow poster up there who wants to limit this conversation to the promo gratuities only, because, you know conversations and thoughts never progress...

NCL Escape Jan, 2017 Balcony total cost with taxes/port charges $2487 plus $188 gratuities for Specialty Dining and Beverage package. $2675 total.. $150 obc... Celebrity Reflection Jan, 2017 Balcony 2A total cost with taxes/port charges $2196 ... includes all gratuities, beverage package, $375 obc
The key difference is what the NCL drink package doesn't include . Canned soda , water and fancy coffee's are not included . Celebrity includes them without the tips . BTW , Celebrity does in fact pay the gratuities to its employees for the "free" drink packages .

Defenders defend away . Let's see - Ship water is fine , I don't drink juice , fountain soda is fine with me , who needs cappuccino's - blah blah blah .

Edited by richstowe

I decided a couple of months ago to give NCL another try after a couple of not very good cruises about 8 years ago... received an email with a special for the Escape with beverage package, 4 night specialty dining and received a $150 obc. Was surprised when I booked it that the gratuties were not included for the "free" beverage and dining packages. In fact, the free turned into an additional $188 for the 2 of us. (Packages are now even higher)..

Received an email today for a firecracker sale.. thought I'd check out NCL special to see if it might lower our cost... did not, but I was told about a Celebrity special. Having sailed with Celebrity numerous times in the past, and always very happy with the service, food, ships etc, decided to look at it. Ended up booking a Balcony 2B.. with free beverage package, $300 obc and tips included for hundreds less than NCL, actually less than $1100 per person. I'm cancelling our NCL cruise and going back to Celebrity..

Can anyone tell me why NCL charges the additional costs for their beverage and dining packages and advertises them as "free".. not really a free perk as they are on other cruiselines... I do believe from reading the reviews that NCL has improved over the years, and will probably give them another try, but it's hard to with all the extra costs..

I would cancel as well if it was $1100 cheaper to sail Celebrity, an upscale line. I would not cancel just over $188 though. I can't walk off a ship with a $188 bar bill for a week ... not even close. Good score on the nice fare for Celebrity!

In all honesty, the gratuities are minimal compared to the return, if you utilize the perk. If not, don't accept the perk and move on. My very first cruise, I spent just over $900.00 on our bar tab, including tips. I have no problem ensuring that employees receive their tips, without having to or feeling obligated to tip additionally. It's becoming a common practice here in the Northwest and I suspect, as the fight for $15.00 hamburger flippers continues, it will elsewhere. I do understand it's about the bottom line and I respect that. At the end of the day though, the charge is really small, compared to the return on the perk itself. Just my opinion.

That is exactly how I look at it. Also, it's all top shelf liquor. They other cruise lines may or may serve that with their packages, I really don't know, but it's another plus that NCL does without having to ask for it.

The key difference is what the NCL drink package doesn't include . Canned soda , water and fancy coffee's are not included . Celebrity includes them without the tips . BTW , Celebrity does in fact pay the gratuities to its employees for the "free" drink packages .

Defenders defend away . Let's see - Ship water is fine , I don't drink juice , fountain soda is fine with me , who needs cappuccino's - blah blah blah .

That certainly does sound like a nice beverage package. Do you happen to know if they use top shelf? I can't drink the cheap stuff ;) gives me an awful headache.

That certainly does sound like a nice beverage package. Do you happen to know if they use top shelf? I can't drink the cheap stuff ;) gives me an awful headache.
In the interest of fairness the answer to your question is NO ! You can pay an extra 10 plus tips PP per day for the premium package . (Don't need to upgrade both people) .This would be similar to the "drink" part of NCL's drink package .

For me and DW , Celebrity is much better . We are bottom shelf types . :D

If you use a coupon in a restaurant, do you tip the staff based on the regular charge or the discounted amount?

Gratuity is part of service staff compensation so if you tip only on the final, discounted amount, you're essentially stiffing you waiter.