Can't bring soda on board anymore

lixogab

I can't help feeling like NCL is playing us. Here we, myself included, are clamoring for a bottled water ban. If it is a scheme, they are creating a lot of really bad sentiment in the interim.

(I wanted to post this now so I could quote it later and ask NCL if it was worth it.)

1. Why are you clamouring for a bottled water ban?

2. Why are you laying down a marker to be able to quote yourself?

If it's an opened bottle with contents you wouldn't be allowed to bring it back onboard which I agree is ridiculous. Especially in hot ports of call, walking back to the ship and grab a cool bottle to drink and get halfway through it when get back and then have to stand-around by the gangway drinking it or pouring it away!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I plan to test this at each port and very publicly and loudly on our next cruise. What a nice bottleneck (not a pun) they are going to create by making us step out of line and dump our water/ soda, etc. my husband has walked on with a beer every time we re-board in Nassau- and alcohol has always been prohibited. A bottle of open water is an issue? What a pile of dookie.

NCL ain't making any friends over this one.

When Carnival banned carry on bottled water and sodas last year (they still allow canned soda) they made 12packs of 16oz bottled water available for a very reasonable charge (about $5). Their goal was to reduce underage drinking and unmonitored alcohol consumption related to smuggled booze. I felt this was a fair compromise. They, ALONG WITH ALL OTHER CRUISE LINES, include some sort of bottle water option with beverage packages.

I drink the tap water in the MDR, buffet etc but like to have bottled water in my cabin, by the pool, to take ashore etc. NCL by prohibiting bottled water to be carried on, charging extortionate rates to buy water packages and not including bottled water in their "Ultimate" drinks package has really become uncompetitive. This combined with all the other policy changes, additional fees and price hikes really has turned me off.

I was waiting for the Jade fall 2017 transatlantic to open up for sale. I booked the Royal Princess 10/21/17 transatlantic yesterday instead. I will not be including NCL in my personal cruise searches for the near future.

How many other cruisers will do the same?

Why is NCL, with all their "free" perks sailing with open cabins in peak summer season from NYC and Florida, while RCCL (at higher average fares and no "free" perks) sailing full? I think many people are quietly leaving NCL and going elsewhere........

I was curious about the Royal Princess crossing compared to the NCL crossings we have booked for fall 2017 on the Getaway and Epic. Both of our crossings are BD balconies with UBP, 4 night SDP and pre paid gratuities. We booked back in April of this year.

$3061.92 - 14 night Getaway

$2552.46 - 13 night Epic

I'm not sure what all Princess includes, but from a quick mock booking for 2 pax I came up with:

$4468.00 for cheapest balcony with Sip + Sail

$3098.00 for cheapest inside without Sip + Sail

Those are the only two categories I looked at, so there might be a deal out there for other cabins. I could be wrong, but I would think if the Jade does a fall crossing next year it would be comparable in price with the Getaway and Epic. The Princess crossing is 15 days, but to me it seems priced a bit higher for a couple extra days.

Edited by sicness4x4

1. Why are you clamouring for a bottled water ban?

2. Why are you laying down a marker to be able to quote yourself?

They obviously misused the term...or spell check got in the way. Lol

Could have meant complaining

Or

They don't know the definition of clamoring

Edited by luvtheships

On water, it's free in the buffets, bars, restaurants and taps. The price gouging is on the plastic bottles some of you are so desperate to have. Buy a reusable bottle, get one with a filter, and the problem is solved.

I do think at least one side benefit they would like is lessening the amount of trash that is generated, and before the recycling people leap in, the ships still have to process it, carry it back to the home port and (probably) pay someone to haul it away. Recycling does not save a ship money.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Exactly!

Originally Posted by xriva View Post

On water, it's free in the buffets, bars, restaurants and taps. The price gouging is on the plastic bottles some of you are so desperate to have. Buy a reusable bottle, get one with a filter, and the problem is solved.

The only problem with this is now you'll get hundreds of uneducated folks that will take their refillable's to the buffet and put the yucky rim up to and touch the dispenser same with the ice, this spreads nasty germs and possibly norovirus.

Originally Posted by xriva View Post

The only problem with this is now you'll get hundreds of uneducated folks that will take their refillable's to the buffet and put the yucky rim up to and touch the dispenser same with the ice, this spreads nasty germs and possibly norovirus.

Yes I hope Ncl has considered this.

Ncl will get a reputation for sailing sick Noro ships even more so once they figure out that their stupid ban on water which actually keeps illness at bay....is the reason for increased Noro quarantines and scrub downs

Again great work Ncl .....but I'm smart enough to know that this ban of yours is just a diversion...

And that there is much more to it than what we know now....

Perhaps....

You cut back on your luggage delivery staff?

Or the longshoremen are giving Ncl a problem?

Or you really want to sell water packages at only a 50% markup versus your 1000% markup lol....so when you lower the $59 price to $29....we the pax will be grateful?

Lol Ncl is so obvious when they pull stuff like this it is amazing

They obviously misused the term...or spell check got in the way. Lol

Could have meant complaining

Or

They don't know the definition of clamoring

Sorry for the typo;

clamor - verb gerund or present participle: clamouring

(of a group of people) shout loudly and insistently.

Shawnino,

1) I just never though I would be asking NCL for a bottle ban, as I felt others making the same proposal may be of the same opinion. It feels like I'm being manipulated.

2) Just a stupid way of stating the idea that NCL is reading this and losing a lot of customer good will. The longer they wait to make any revision to the policy the more the damages - so if it is a PR ploy how do they quantify that point where they make concessions?

Edited by Boschmann

I have three cruises booked with NCL between Oct. and Feb. I just booked one in Jan. last week and no mention was made of this change in policy.

In my infinite wisdom (ha ha) on my last cruise I bought the maximum number of cruise next certificates as I cruise often and only on NCL (25+). All their irritating "little" changes have bothered me but nothing struck quite so close to home as this one.

I plan to contact NCL via letter or email to explain my frustration and my "loyalty" to their line currently.

I don't yet know if I will fight to get the certificates reimbursed or just sell them at a discount.

I am ripe to try another line. Princess keeps wooing me and my one cruise on them was delightful so I may go that way.

Anyway, I just hope this doesn't die down and go away. We have saved and looked forward to our retirement for long time and I planned on cruising NCL to those spots I never could when I was tied to one vacation week at a time.

I'm not looking for a top end luxury line and we definitely look for ways to save on each trip. This definitely does not help.

I hope my friends in the suite give me a key to their cabin so I can make my Latte and maybe they will have bottled water for a 500% mark up......:)

I recall a show "undercover boss" where the CEO goes on the ship and gets the feel of his employees...

Well He just has to read these thousand plus posts to know NCL has a passenger booking problem in the near future with the nickel and dime and charging $70 a case of bottled water...

Has anyone read or seen anything from NCL that they have seen the passengers feelings.... ? Rich

I hope my friends in the suite give me a key to their cabin so I can make my Latte and maybe they will have bottled water for a 500% mark up......:)

I recall a show "undercover boss" where the CEO goes on the ship and gets the feel of his employees...

Well He just has to read these thousand plus posts to know NCL has a passenger booking problem in the near future with the nickel and dime and charging $70 a case of bottled water...

Has anyone read or seen anything from NCL that they have seen the passengers feelings.... ? Rich

The Undercover Boss was Kevin Sheehan, who was replaced as CEO by Frank Del Rio a couple of years ago. In the opinion of many of us ex-NCL loyalists, the rot set in when FDR took over. We hoped that the changes for the worse had stopped after last year - Nope - his regime is at it again.

I have no dog in this fight - I never carried on water or soda and I do not sail NCL any more. It does sadden me, however, to see my ex-favourite cruise line turning into a money-grabbing, gouging, corporate monster.

Edited by SteveH2508

It's a bit harsh to call people "uneducated" just because they drink bottled water, isn't it?

You already have hundreds of folks not following basic cleanliness procedures onboard, including filling directly from the taps. This won't make it that much worse.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

The Undercover Boss was Kevin Sheehan, who was replaced as CEO by Frank Del Rio a couple of years ago. In the opinion of many of us ex-NCL loyalists, the rot set in when FDR took over. We hoped that the changes for the worse had stopped after last year - Nope - his regime is at it again.

I have no dog in this fight - I never carried on water or soda and I do not sail NCL any more. It does sadden me, however, to see my ex-favourite cruise line turning into a money-grabbing, gouging, corporate monster.

Thanks for expressing those sentiments. I was writing a long response to April42749 expressing this basic idea, but decided not to post it. I agree.

I just read on another post that a passenger boarding today was told by the porter at the dock that he could not touch the passenger's case of soda. This is only July 3. He did not mention the dock but his signature said he is sailing on the Getaway this month.

We always put ours in a suitcase because it is just easier. Let the backup at the ports begin!

I hope my friends in the suite give me a key to their cabin so I can make my Latte....

The coffee machines in the suites have been "enhanced" as well. So you will be out of luck getting a latte if it's one of the refurbished ships.

I just read on another post that a passenger boarding today was told by the porter at the dock that he could not touch the passenger's case of soda. This is only July 3. He did not mention the dock but his signature said he is sailing on the Getaway this month.

We always put ours in a suitcase because it is just easier. Let the backup at the ports begin!

Based on what I've read in this forum over the years, some ports will happily allow you to slap a tag on cases of water and soda and take it away for you. Other ports won't touch it unless it's in a bag.

That passenger's account doesn't represent any real significant change in policy.

Edited by triptolemus

It's a bit harsh to call people "uneducated" just because they drink bottled water, isn't it?

You already have hundreds of folks not following basic cleanliness procedures onboard, including filling directly from the taps. This won't make it that much worse.

Look up problematic modifiers, presupposition vs. assertion

No one is saying all bottle re-fillers are uneducated. Just that people uneducated on good hygiene practices can cause problems when re-filling their bottles at a public station. I use a re-fillable bottle and this is a worry of mine also. Other hygiene violations do not justify any new ones.

I love reading these posts...so much angst, over trivial nonsense. "I don't like Pepsi and only drink Coke"..."There's going to be lines at the gang ways as people chug down water"...."We like to have bottled water in the room, don't wanna go to the booffet for a drink."..."Water packages are too expensive".."NCL is just a money grabbing meanie and I will NEVER sail with them again"...I also loved the post about sailing 2 days after the new rule goes into effect and by god, they are taking their soda and water and be dammed if anyone is going to say anything to them about it....geeze. Have we become that entitled as a society now that this type of thing sets everyone into a frenzy? Or is it just the social media angry mob mentality in effect?

From personal experience, after a dozen or so cruises I've never taken a flat of water, or case of soda on board. I bought a water package once, and never drank all the water that was in it. Taking a Nalgene bottle or some other type of refillable device seems to work well. The market is flooded with them. Have you checked out the Yeti cups (an their knock offs)? Keeps drinks icy cold for hours :p. I thank the gods that no one in my family drinks enough soda in a year that would justify schlepping a case up to the ship, much less having some minimum wage porter do it for me.

Here's a tip, (keep it to yourselves, wouldn't want it to get out)... you don't have to sail with NCL :eek:. If you have booked, go or NOT go, that's up to you. Grousing about such a trivial thing as not being able to slurp your favorite sugary beverage at will, or not being able to have your bottle when you want it...is well...pretty humorous. Its a vacation, try something new..leave the soda at home, search for alternative hydration methods that don't require bottles or cans. You might find that you like things out there even better....maybe :rolleyes:

Pulling out the kevlar now, awaiting the blowback :D

And I just love reading posts like yours... people who think they have life all figured out. Yay you!

I guess people's lives revolve around soda and bottled water for one week of their lives.