Can't bring soda on board anymore

lixogab

Contract says alcoholic beverages are forbidden. NCL has the right to modify proposed contracts for future bookings. But after a contract is signed modifications can only be made upon agreement of all parties. Disputes over interpretations of contracts should be resolved between the parties, not through public fora. In any case, I did not receive any notice about not allowing water to be brought on the ship and plan to bring my own cause I paid for my ticket after being told over the phone that it was ok, and after reading the terms of contract and reading all the info on their website. But reading this forum has gotten me agitated and the more I see here the more I worry that something really bad is happening and that maybe NCL really does have a trick up their sleeves. ok enough , i will only believe it if ncl sends a formal proposal for changes in terms of contract.

They don't have any tricks up their sleeve, they simply put a new policy in place. It's a shame that you won't believe it when it's on their website. You could easily find it there if you so chose. You won't be denied boarding, just your case of water.

So you have a definition that says the price was spiked even though it hasn't changed a bit? Can't have it both ways, but nice try.

I didnt write it. Bully whoever did. Nice try back at ya.:rolleyes:

LWA

Edited by janpo

I go by what the contract on my ticket that I paid for says. NCL can post whatever it wants on its website but that does not change the terms I agreed to before purchasing the ticket. NCL is of course free to propose changes in terms of contract just like passenger are free to do so. But both parties need to agree, neither has the right to force changes on the other after signing the contract. So this should not be a problem for those of us who already paid. It is simply something to consider for future bookings. Maybe NCL will lower prices for water on board or give free soda like airlines do and the who issue will go away

Contract says alcoholic beverages are forbidden. NCL has the right to modify proposed contracts for future bookings. But after a contract is signed modifications can only be made upon agreement of all parties. Disputes over interpretations of contracts should be resolved between the parties, not through public fora. In any case, I did not receive any notice about not allowing water to be brought on the ship and plan to bring my own cause I paid for my ticket after being told over the phone that it was ok, and after reading the terms of contract and reading all the info on their website. But reading this forum has gotten me agitated and the more I see here the more I worry that something really bad is happening and that maybe NCL really does have a trick up their sleeves. ok enough , i will only believe it if ncl sends a formal proposal for changes in terms of contract.

I do not know whether you are from the US or elsewhere.

From a UK point of view, there is a difference between the terms of a contract - some are conditions and some are warranties. Conditions are fundamental to a contract - warranties are less important.

Breach of a condition generally leads to the voiding of the contract - breach of a warranty leads to a claim for damages.

The allowance of bringing on water or soda on board would, most likely, be regarded as a warranty - it is not essential to the heart of the contract, so would only give rise to a claim of damages. The contract is basically transport from A to B to C with 3 hots and a cot. In Europe we have some regulations on Package Holidays which might cause NCL some grief, if anyone was prepared to pursue it.

If you booked from US this may be totally irrelevant, so feel free to ignore.

NCL's playing fast and loose with their offer sent me looking elsewhere last year - they have now lost potentially roughly £25,000 of our fares, notwithstanding our substantial on-board spend. We do not even consider NCL in our cruising plans at the moment. Princess and P&O have benefited due to NCL's silly games.

Bad news for all lovers of sparking water and caffeine free diet coke:

https://www.ncl.com/faq/liquor-beverage-policy

Effective July 1, 2016, for sailings July 15, 2016 and beyond, guests are prohibited from bringing any beverages -- including liquor, beer and non-alcoholic drinks such as water, soda and juices -- on board either as carry-on or checked luggage, with the exception of purified or distilled water in factory-sealed containers for use in conjunction with medical devices or for the reconstitution of infant formula; and fully sealed and/or corked wine bottles for personal consumption onboard that is subject to screening and a corkage fee (for guests 21 years of age or older). Open beverages of any kind must be consumed or discarded at the security check-point, on embarkation day and at any port of call.[/quote

Thanks for the info! It figures. I am going sept. 2016. Although I have always brought my own bottled water on board, I don't think the ship provided water is bad. I guess I will be bringing on my refillable bottles. I am in the Haven and I think I read that they have bottled water available - can't believe all that you read from people (not this page but in general). I wonder if the water is included in the UBP!

UBP does NOT include bottled water. In the Haven, I have always received one bottle in the suite (unless DOS - then unlimited). I don't recall being charged if I drank more than one (but, never did pay close attention to that sort of thing). One person reported success in obtaining "free" bottles from the bar in the Haven (I never asked there on the Breakaway, so I cannot confirm that). The water in the suite, at least what I have received, was always "Still" (never asked for anything else).

My issue is not having Coke for Rum and Coke. :eek::D

I go by what the contract on my ticket that I paid for says. NCL can post whatever it wants on its website but that does not change the terms I agreed to before purchasing the ticket. NCL is of course free to propose changes in terms of contract just like passenger are free to do so. But both parties need to agree, neither has the right to force changes on the other after signing the contract. So this should not be a problem for those of us who already paid. It is simply something to consider for future bookings. Maybe NCL will lower prices for water on board or give free soda like airlines do and the who issue will go away

The contract you agreed to speaks for itself:

3. Terms of Fare:

(a) Items Included in Fare: The fare paid by the Guest for this ticket includes transportation on the vessel named herein, full board, and ordinary vessel food

NCL can change anything they want, and as long as they give you transportation, a cabin, and ordinary vessel food they have held up their end of the contract. Charge $500 for a bottle of water? They can do that. Prevent people from bringing iPhones on board? They can do that. They can do any ridiculous thing they want and not violate the contract.

The only recourse you have is to file a complaint and go to binding arbitration where they will decide in NCL's favor. Because the contract "speaks for itself".

Well, that's not the only recourse. You can sail on another line, of course, like many of us are starting to do.

here is the ticket contract

https://www.ncl.com/sites/default/files/Guest-Ticket-Contract-11-2015.pdf

where does it state that you are allow to bring water or soda?

here is the ticket contract

https://www.ncl.com/sites/default/files/Guest-Ticket-Contract-11-2015.pdf

where does it state that you are allow to bring water or soda?

It doesn't. I read it, so you don't have to. Here is the only mention of water and soda: Items Included in Fare: The fare paid by the Guest for this ticket includes transportation on the

vessel named herein, full board, and ordinary vessel food, but does not include beer, wine, spirits, sodas

or mineral waters, nor expenses incurred for other incidental or personal services/purchases.

I'm cruising in October and I wonder if I will be informed of this change by NCL. I look on their website regularly but would not have known about this if not for Cruise Critic. As it is deemed important enough for NCL to inform some cruisers would it not be a good idea to put a reference to this on the Home Page for all to see. Something like the banner currently across the UK home page titled 'Latest News'. The news is about the Dawn, but could just as easily be about the change to the beverage policy, then anyone visiting the website would be properly informed.

I am cross I will not being able to take a few bottles of water on board as I had planned, but it is not a deal breaker as I will take a filter bottle with me. There are several people stating they have cancelled cruises or will be cancelling while they are still before final payment and can cancel without penalty. I said this is not a deal breaker for me because I booked in the UK, if I wanted to change my mind and cancel due to any changes NCL decide to impose I would lose my deposit, so definitely not worth making a point over this. But very annoyed. :mad:

The contract you agreed to speaks for itself:

NCL can change anything they want, and as long as they give you transportation, a cabin, and ordinary vessel food they have held up their end of the contract. Charge $500 for a bottle of water? They can do that. Prevent people from bringing iPhones on board? They can do that. They can do any ridiculous thing they want and not violate the contract.

The only recourse you have is to file a complaint and go to binding arbitration where they will decide in NCL's favor. Because the contract "speaks for itself".

Well, that's not the only recourse. You can sail on another line, of course, like many of us are starting to do.

Thank you for trying to explain that to the newbie, but I suspect they won't believe it. They previously said they didn't believe NCL changed the policy, and when I pointed out that they could verify this, they skirt the issue of not believing and start rattling off how they are protected by their contract. With the 2 posts they had on this board, they are suddenly experts.

Both parties do not have to agree. That disclaimer is already in the contract you agreed to when booking! Sorry, but they do not have to do anything.

If you read the terms of your contract you will learn that they most definitely can. All cruise contracts with all the various lines are pretty much the same and they offer the consumer very little protection. If you think a bottle of water is a big deal, you should probably know that NCL, and other lines can and do change ports of call, charter cruises at any time and they don't need to do anything but give you your $ back. Really the only thing you can do is choose not to give them your $ by sailing with them. If you like cruising then you should read your customer contract and purchase cruise insurance before you set sail. A beverage policy can upset a lot of people but in the grand scheme of things it's really not an issue about your rights. I don't say this because I'm an NCL champion or anything. Just saying that what you think your contract is, is in fact quite different than what your contract is.

Thank you for trying to explain that to the newbie, but I suspect they won't believe it. They previously said they didn't believe NCL changed the policy, and when I pointed out that they could verify this, they skirt the issue of not believing and start rattling off how they are protected by their contract. With the 2 posts they had on this board, they are suddenly experts.

Yes, I suspect you are correct.

If you read the terms of your contract you will learn that they most definitely can. All cruise contracts with all the various lines are pretty much the same and they offer the consumer very little protection. If you think a bottle of water is a big deal, you should probably know that NCL, and other lines can and do change ports of call, charter cruises at any time and they don't need to do anything but give you your $ back. Really the only thing you can do is choose not to give them your $ by sailing with them. If you like cruising then you should read your customer contract and purchase cruise insurance before you set sail. A beverage policy can upset a lot of people but in the grand scheme of things it's really not an issue about your rights. I don't say this because I'm an NCL champion or anything. Just saying that what you think your contract is, is in fact quite different than what your contract is.

There are tons of ignorant people who truly believe that when they book, they have locked in the policies that were in effect on the day of their booking. Let them bring their water, but the porters aren't going to accept it, and they won't get it through security either.

I'm cruising in October and I wonder if I will be informed of this change by NCL. I look on their website regularly but would not have known about this if not for Cruise Critic. As it is deemed important enough for NCL to inform some cruisers would it not be a good idea to put a reference to this on the Home Page for all to see. Something like the banner currently across the UK home page titled 'Latest News'. The news is about the Dawn, but could just as easily be about the change to the beverage policy, then anyone visiting the website would be properly informed.

I am cross I will not being able to take a few bottles of water on board as I had planned, but it is not a deal breaker as I will take a filter bottle with me. There are several people stating they have cancelled cruises or will be cancelling while they are still before final payment and can cancel without penalty. I said this is not a deal breaker for me because I booked in the UK, if I wanted to change my mind and cancel due to any changes NCL decide to impose I would lose my deposit, so definitely not worth making a point over this. But very annoyed. :mad:

I wouldn't be expecting an email form NCL about this, perhaps one from a TA if they think of it.

Again, I'm not unsympathetic to this, even though it is not particularly bothersome to me; but how many deposited bookings have been canceled since this was rolled out? I'd seriously guess zero people have gone to cancel trips they already had a deposit on. Future plans altered? Sure, I can easily believe that. But I don't believe anyone is giving up an already planned vacation over this.

Again, I'm not unsympathetic to this, even though it is not particularly bothersome to me; but how many deposited bookings have been canceled since this was rolled out? I'd seriously guess zero people have gone to cancel trips they already had a deposit on. Future plans altered? Sure, I can easily believe that. But I don't believe anyone is giving up an already planned vacation over this.

Well, I had 2 deposited on Breakaway for 2017 that I switched over to RCCL now instead. As I've stated before, the water issue didn't bother me as much as not being allowed a reasonable amount of Coke (to have with my rum from the UBP).

NCL has every right as a business to make whatever changes they wish. I have said that for all the changes they have implemented. However, I'm not comfortable continuing to cruise with them at this point. It's the communication issue that has bothered me more than most of the changes.

I'm sure they won't even notice I'm gone (but, there are now extra H6s in inventory since Friday night if no one has booked them already). ;)

I'll continue to watch how NCL handles communications and policy changes in the future before considering cruising with them again.

I wouldn't be expecting an email form NCL about this, perhaps one from a TA if they think of it.

Maybe I am referring to the wrong thing but I am sailing on 8/7 and did receive an email from NCL on 7/1 stating the change in policy. I booked online directly though NCL though.

Here's the applicable phrase from the Contract....

"The Guest agrees to abide by the rules of the Carrier, including, but not limited

to, the rules and regulations particularly set forth below, and to follow the lawful instructions of the

vessel's officers and crew, at all times. The Guest accepts that failure to do so constitutes a material

breach of this Contract which may subject the Guest, as well as any accompanying Guest(s), to

involuntary disembarkation without liability whatsoever to the Carrier for any refund or any other related

loss or expense to the Guest, and any accompanying Guest(s)."

Every carrier has a version. Basically unless the contract specifically says you can, they can say you cannot at any time....

I used to request an iron & board to steam my shirts upon arrival. Until I realized that I can just pay $30 and have it done for me, starting my vacation an hour earlier. Would I pay $30 for an hour of vacation? Yuppers, in a heartbeat.

When I want to apply damp heat to a shirt, I put it on, and go on the balcony. That saves time, too!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Maybe I am referring to the wrong thing but I am sailing on 8/7 and did receive an email from NCL on 7/1 stating the change in policy. I booked online directly though NCL though.

The people past final payment who can't cancel without penalty have mostly been notified. But those before final payment who could cancel have not been notified. My final payment is due August 1st and I have not yet been notified.

I cruise the end of October so i'm expecting NCL's notification in September, too late to do anything about it -- if I hadn't read it here on CC.