Can't bring soda on board anymore

lixogab

Free means free and if it is not, well, it isn't. When you get right down to it people complaining about not being able to bring on soda and water is petty also, yet here we are.;) I think NCL underestimated exactly how important this issue is to their passengers.

There is nothing "free" in retail, life, or whatever anyone wants to include. Someone/body is paying for it.

And I will agree the water/soda issue is petty in the grand scheme of things.

NCL has very poor timing on most things they announce. Thanks to a couple of posters on CC we knew they changed the departure time for our Escape cruise coming up in Oct. before NCL informed us.

I'm sure that cost people some money also as travel plans certainly could have changed for some.

We upsold from the penthouse to the owners suite more for the extra space than anything else.

I've sucked it up and ordered the bottle water package. It's not the money. It's the frustration with the way it was handled.

Why did you buy the water package??? Owners suites come with unlimited bottled water.

Also, if your kids are minors and in a connecting penthouse, it is entirety possible that they will be granted Haven access too.

Just recycle your urine through a Brita filter. God, Americans complain about everything!

Oh, not only Americans, Germans do that tooooo:D Aida Cruises invested a new beverage package......thats a great discussion too.

Let me say this (and please dont grill me) i saw lots of people who have carried a large carton with wine and others with 6 pack cans and more. And now NCL is reacting to that.

I think, NCL should allow at least 1 bottle or can if you are coming from a shore excursion.

Nevertheless we have booked our next cruise with NCL and looking forward to it.

If we Germans are going to book a cruise, we will have now Premium AI for the bevergae selection and asorted coffee (price are gone up) it does not matter if you would like to have it or not....no choice. Thats a great discussion too.

Regards Marie

Please excuse my english

You are correct it's not free, but people complaining about the 18% gratuity they pay is petty.

Where can one go and drink for 94 for a week? That is where people need the reality check.

How can you be critical of others when you have no idea how much they drink ???

Ninty Four dollars a week is NOT petty. Some people don't spend that much on booze in a month.

Edited by swedish weave

To some, it's about choices and fair market pricing, like bottled spring water, not municipal sourced tap water (i.e. Flint, Michigan)

724fa715b9ee39ef8b00eaee907d9392.jpg

P.S. Now, 16.9 oz fit nicely into bottle carrier, even the bigger 20 oz. Aquafina will do (12 oz. bottled Coke in front of this picture) but that 1 liter bottle of Poland Spring water at 33.8 oz is almost 2 lbs. itself, for going ashore, one-way only - not exactly travel friendly but it's for our convenience.

Almost forgot, for safety and security, they said. More Koo Aid please.

via Nexus* over Google Fi - WiFi network, VPN secured

Edited by mking8288

How can you be critical of others when you have no idea how much they drink ???

Ninty Four dollars a week is NOT petty. Some people don't spend that much on booze in a month.

I would be willing to bet that those that choose the UBP are going to drink that much and more.

With the pick 2 promo NCL has run for months, don't you think the UBP and SDP are the most popular?

Heck , why not start another thread/poll whether pax feel that drinking for a week for 94.00 is worth it. The results probably wouldn't surprise me.

I would be willing to bet that those that choose the UBP are going to drink that much and more.

With the pick 2 promo NCL has run for months, don't you think the UBP and SDP are the most popular?

Heck , why not start another thread/poll whether pax feel that drinking for a week for 94.00 is worth it. The results probably wouldn't surprise me.

If someone has an issue with the UBP perk costing them gratuities, they should pick another perk. I'd bet most pick the UBP and SDP and have no issues, since many would have tipped anyway if the gratuities were not charged to them. Edited by NLH Arizona

You may fill it at the buffet, you just need to fill a glass and pour it into your bottle- you can't fill the bottle directly from the spout (or at least you shouldn't). Last time I visited my son's college I noticed that the water fountains were set up to refill sports bottles, you set the bottle down and pushed the button and the bottle was filled without touching the water dispenser. It would be nice if NCL invested in something like that, although I doubt that would happen.

Thank you for the good tip. I will fill the glass then put it in my container. And no I doubt they will invest in the other idea...but it sure is a good one.

Mary

Depends on when the cruise was booked. My choices were UBP EX, 3rd sails free OR WIFI- PIC 2. As i only have one port stop, the excursion didnt work for me, as it was cheaper to book Alcatraz on my own than ship even with the $25 EA discount. The wifi was a no as the idea of going on a cruise is to get away from screen time. That leaves us the 2 options. Im happy with the UBP for $94 however, my 19 year old pays the fee though on the ship she is underage. I argued it with the NCL rep but was told it was UBP for 2. That is alot of rootbeer to drink provided they have it on board. Lemonade is free in buffet. We had UBP on Celebrity with the gratuity incl

We are booked on the Epic for a So. Caribbean cruise this Nov 26th, our kids are booked on the same cruise and have their Air purchased or else I would cancel. The new water and soda policy is plain gouging but I would work around it. We planned to book a Cabana on GSK, but when I looked the price is now $449.00 for a Lg or Sm cabana.....they give you a $50/food and bev. credit and bottled water while you are on the island. We are very frequent cruisers and are booked on Princess for back/back 10 day cruises. Their Bungalow which is fully enclosed with a porch and all amenities except the $50.00 credit are $199.00/day include attendant who fetches drinks, towels, or most anything else.

Needless to say, I will not be using NCL again. This cruise I will be one of those who don't contribute to their earnings through on board spending.

Airlines don't let you bring wine bottles on board.

Nothing over something like 3 ounces.

No, that's through the security lines. Past the security lines you can buy 20 ounce bottles of coke, Grande Lattes or any number of other drinks and take them on board any flight. The airlines themselves do not prevent you from taking food (we take Subway sandwiches) or drinks on board.

I used to really enjoy the anticipation part of a cruise. We usually book way in advance and I come on here to learn new things and in the past it was pretty much learning positives.

Since Del Rio took over more than have of the things I have learned have been negatives. They are negatives to me and that is all that matters as this is my vacation.

So we will be looking at other types of vacations or maybe another cruise line. We have 2 cruse rewards to use and after that we will see if we cruise with NCL again.

Del Rio, you will be getting far less than an extra 5 bucks a day from this couple. I don't mind getting nickeled and dimed if the base fare is low but when prices have gone up and then you want to pull that, no thanks. I'm not mad but it is a shame.

Thank you for the good tip. I will fill the glass then put it in my container. And no I doubt they will invest in the other idea...but it sure is a good one.

We always found the water at the buffet to taste fine. It's filtered and we've never run into poorly filtered water there. You don't have the chlorine smell or taste that is so objectionable. We will either bring empty drink bottles (if NCL allows them) and fill them using a "transfer glass" at the buffet, or have the room steward bring us a pitcher of water every day (they bring filtered water).

Filling from the bathroom sink gets you the over-chlorinated, stinky water you get in the shower and from that tap. We find the amount of chlorine smell and color of the water varies from day to day. Not a solution for us. Taste is a reason to go to more trouble, or pay more, for what you like, so I think the new policy impacts Coke drinkers more than water drinkers.

No, that's through the security lines. Past the security lines you can buy 20 ounce bottles of coke, Grande Lattes or any number of other drinks and take them on board any flight. The airlines themselves do not prevent you from taking food (we take Subway sandwiches) or drinks on board.

Sorry I wasn't clear.

The point I was making, if it wasn't clear, is that NCL *does* allow one to bring aboard WINE BOTTLES of 750ml.

But a can of Diet Coke is a "Security" problem?

That is the problem with NCL's rationale.

NCL doesn't have any way to screen those wine bottles.

Elsewhere, I've pointed out that one CAN bring a choice of beverages on to th plane, if purchased after security.

--> That choice is NOT available at the docks.

IF "security" is the NCL "problem", then why doesn't NCL do a bit more price gouging and sell a selection of water and soft drinks after security.

We'd gladly "pay extra" to have our Diet Cokes.

OR... NCL could just offer both soft-drink families.

What they'd make up in Coca Cola product sales would probably more than offset the discount they have for being Pepsi-only.

(Even if it didn't fully offset it, NCL would have much happier campers on board. And more of them...)

We also take a small "picnic hamper" on board lengthy flights, including bottled soft drinks so we can re-cap them.

We obviously purchase the soft drinks after Security.

It's annoying to have an open can of soda on those fold-out trays, unless one plans to drink it all quickly.

It is too easy to spill those...

If anyone thinks $94.00 a week for booze is a bargain, lets take it one step further and calculate the cost to $4888.00 per year. Does that still sound like a bargain ?????

Sorry I wasn't clear.

The point I was making, if it wasn't clear, is that NCL *does* allow one to bring aboard WINE BOTTLES of 750ml.

But a can of Diet Coke is a "Security" problem?

That is the problem with NCL's rationale.

NCL doesn't have any way to screen those wine bottles.

Elsewhere, I've pointed out that one CAN bring a choice of beverages on to th plane, if purchased after security.

--> That choice is NOT available at the docks.

IF "security" is the NCL "problem", then why doesn't NCL do a bit more price gouging and sell a selection of water and soft drinks after security.

We'd gladly "pay extra" to have our Diet Cokes.

OR... NCL could just offer both soft-drink families.

What they'd make up in Coca Cola product sales would probably more than offset the discount they have for being Pepsi-only.

(Even if it didn't fully offset it, NCL would have much happier campers on board. And more of them...)

We also take a small "picnic hamper" on board lengthy flights, including bottled soft drinks so we can re-cap them.

We obviously purchase the soft drinks after Security.

It's annoying to have an open can of soda on those fold-out trays, unless one plans to drink it all quickly.

It is too easy to spill those...

https://www.quora.com/Why-do-so-many-restaurants-only-serve-Pepsi-or-Coke-but-not-both

read this - explains it better than I can - this probably applies to NCL as well. I used to work as a manager of a restaurant and find this to be the absolute truth - they simply CANT serve both, its either one or the other, because they would have to have TWO completely different systems and you couldn't use the same gun for the coke products, etc, and the cost of implementing such a system, as well as having 2 contracts, would be crazy expensive, plus a risky move if it didn't pay off - now *MAYBE* when their Pepsi contract runs out, they will go with Coke, but I am betting Pepsi is a much better deal than having a contract with Coca Cola, because Coca Cola products are just SO much more popular and in higher demand.

Edited by aubreyc1988

https://www.quora.com/Why-do-so-many-restaurants-only-serve-Pepsi-or-Coke-but-not-both

read this - explains it better than I can - this probably applies to NCL as well. I used to work as a manager of a restaurant and find this to be the absolute truth - they simply CANT serve both, its either one or the other, because they would have to have TWO completely different systems and you couldn't use the same gun for the coke products, etc, and the cost of implementing such a system, as well as having 2 contracts, would be crazy expensive, plus a risky move if it didn't pay off - now *MAYBE* when their Pepsi contract runs out, they will go with Coke, but I am betting Pepsi is a much better deal than having a contract with Coca Cola, because Coca Cola products are just SO much more popular and in higher demand.

I really don't understand why folks keep bringing up that NCL should sell both Pepsi and Coke products, especially since it has been explained many times on this thread. Have they ever been on a cruise ship that sells both? Have they ever been to a restaurant that sells both? Have they ever been to a hotel that sells both? Have they every been to a sporting arena that sells both? Have they ever been to an amusement park that sells both? No, because the businesses enter into a contract with one of the distributors to only sell their product, which gives them a lower price......happens every where. I'm sure that if NCL were to drop their contact to sell Pepsi only and then sell both products, we would be paying $6.00 for a glass of soda, because neither distributor would give them a decent price. Edited by NLH Arizona

Thanks. That was interesting.

I knew about the discounts/etc., for using one or the other, but I didn't realize about the equipment issues.

Now I'm trying to think if any *large* venues do actually sell both products.

That is, if they have the room for two fountain setups?

Or... what about any establishment selling "the other product" in cans or bottles only? I suppose that would violate the contract anyway.

It's just annoying (and worse) to be stuck at sea for several days (overnight is bad enough; some of us have a Diet Coke while spouse has a coffee each morning!) without *the* beverage of choice.

Imagine if a cruise line offered only tea, and not coffee?

Don't laugh.

For some of us, the taste difference is really significant.

I've spent my entire life with "friends" trying to trick me, giving me Pepsi, and I barely take the first sip, and glare at them...

I've even been "tricked" with "Rum & Coke", and it didn't fool me there, either.

Maybe it's something genetic in one of the flavor ingredients, like that 10th grade biology class experiment of "some of the students taste a substance as very bitter, and some taste nothing at all"?

Thanks again for the information that at least clarifies how "thee system" works.

I really don't understand why folks keep bringing up that NCL should sell both Pepsi and Coke products. Have they ever been on a cruise ship that sells both? Have they ever been to a restaurant that sells both? Have they ever been to a hotel that sells both? Have they every been to a sporting arena that sells both? Have they ever been to an amusement park that sells both? No, because the businesses enter into a contract with one of the distributors to only sell their product, which gives them a lower price......happens every where. I'm sure that if NCL were to drop their contact to sell Pepsi only and then sell both products, we would be paying $6.00 for a glass of soda, because neither distributor would give them a decent price.

I for one don't expect them to sell both but as an accommodation they should allow passengers to bring on a limited quantity of the soft drink of their choice. Yes, yes, I know what you're going to say- but you can't do that in a restaurant or a sports arena or an amusement park and my response is no one has to live in those venues for a week. And yes, they have the right to do what they are doing- but that doesn't make it the right thing to do, especially for a business in the hospitality industry.

If anyone thinks $94.00 a week for booze is a bargain, lets take it one step further and calculate the cost to $4888.00 per year. Does that still sound like a bargain ?????

We are talking 1 weeks vacation! Calculating it to a year shouldn't/doesn't even belong in the picture.

Also don't think the majority of people can afford to spend over 100,000 to cruise a year, which is exactly what your statement would equate to.

I really don't understand why folks keep bringing up that NCL should sell both Pepsi and Coke products, especially since it has been explained many times on this thread. Have they ever been on a cruise ship that sells both? Have they ever been to a restaurant that sells both? Have they ever been to a hotel that sells both? Have they every been to a sporting arena that sells both? Have they ever been to an amusement park that sells both? No, because the businesses enter into a contract with one of the distributors to only sell their product, which gives them a lower price......happens every where. I'm sure that if NCL were to drop their contact to sell Pepsi only and then sell both products, we would be paying $6.00 for a glass of soda, because neither distributor would give them a decent price.

Stop with the "hotel" comparison already.

In NO country have we ever been questioned about what brand of soft drink we had in our bags, or even if we had any.

Others have already reported the same thing.

Those "rules" that hotels may have are almost always only for receptions, conferences, weddings... where the hotel has their own catering or list of approved vendors.

OR... perhaps as mentioned earlier, a way to "oust" mis-behaving guests who are throwing parties.

(Then there is no need to say "too much noise", which is subjective. Having outside food/beverages is not.)

And one is NOT trapped in a hotel for 24 hours, for a few days at a time, nor is one unable to have the water or beverage of one's choice on the bedside table.

We've been in hotels that have pre-stocked the mini-fridge with Diet Coke for us, at our request and expense (for very late arrivals, etc.).

NCL won't do that, either.

Other cruise lines DO pre-stock the specific beverage we prefer, if we give them notice.

(That it is at no additional charge isn't the point. We'd happily pay for the extra expense/time. But THEY understand "HOSPITALITY"- and that their passengers are "stuck" there for days at a time.)

I for one don't expect them to sell both but as an accommodation they should allow passengers to bring on a limited quantity of the soft drink of their choice. Yes, yes, I know what you're going to say- but you can't do that in a restaurant or a sports arena or an amusement park and my response is no one has to live in those venues for a week. And yes, they have the right to do what they are doing- but that doesn't make it the right thing to do, especially for a business in the hospitality industry.
I've always questioned why they allow anything other than wine, with a corkage fee, to be brought on their ships and I bet you can imagine how I got flamed when I mentioned it. Onboard spending is a substantial amount of their revenue stream and to allow folks to bring on Coke (and I've seen people bringing on Pepsi products as well), doesn't help with that revenue stream and then they raise the prices to all of us, because every business has a budget that they have to reach....I really don't want to pay more because someone wants to bring Coke or Pepsi onboard. I wasn't going to say anything about not bring them to other venus, but will say that if someone can't live without a Coke for a week, there are other cruise lines (Celebrity) who sell only Coke products. Edited by NLH Arizona