Mahogany Bay Beach

MikeNKim

Sorry can't seem to find the info.

We are carnival Magic docking at Mahongany Bay. is the beach right at the port nice for swimming? Is it close enough to walk?

I have been there before but the beach was not open.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Kim

Wish I could help better, but I have been trying to find out much about this destination for the past 6 months.

I have read that the beach is great for swimming, expect a sandy bottom ( no coral/rocks). It tends to get busy being right at the port. There are free chairs on the beach, there are pay clamshell chairs and then there are 6 pay for cabanas that have to be reserved ahead of time, but offers air conditioning, private beach area just for cabana goers and wifi.

So, without being there, this is what I have found so far. Next month, I am hoping to write a review after our family actually gets to visit for ourselves :)

I have been there. The beach is good for swimming and you can easily walk there. It is right within the gated port area so no need to leave. The path is level and wide and they have many nice plants on the way for photo ops. You can also opt to pay for the "magical flying beach chair" to take you to the beach, but it's just as easy to walk. I'd recommend getting off the ship early to get your pick of the seats.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Just returned today. We loved Mahogany Bay. It is a busy beach, but the snorkeling was good. Better than some ship excursions I have been on. Get there early as the snorkeling crowd grows and causes murky water. Swim straight out from the life guard at the end of the pier. There is a large coral formation. Lots of fish. Even saw a spotted sting Ray.

It was our last port and third beach day and definitely needed the slower paced day.

Sent from my SD4930UR using Tapatalk

We were there last week. Great beach but very crowded. Water is beautiful. Great shopping. Everything in walking distance from the ship. Flying chairs actually don't take you very far. Better to walk on the scenic path. Have fun![emoji225]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

They did an outstanding job with that beach. Gets awful crowded if there are a couple of ships in port but very nice. The snorkeling is bad but the beach/swimming is great. It is becoming a favorite now for many cruisers.

For us, we always get a private tour driver and head over to West Bay Beach and West End Village. Carnival has that excursion and they call it Tabyana Beach. Beautiful beach and great snorkeling.

Roatan is the best!

They did an outstanding job with that beach. Gets awful crowded if there are a couple of ships in port but very nice. The snorkeling is bad but the beach/swimming is great. It is becoming a favorite now for many cruisers.

For us, we always get a private tour driver and head over to West Bay Beach and West End Village. Carnival has that excursion and they call it Tabyana Beach. Beautiful beach and great snorkeling.

Roatan is the best!

Err.. this reads as though West Bay and West End are part of the Tabyana excursion...is that correct? I would not have thought West End was part of the deal.

Err.. this reads as though West Bay and West End are part of the Tabyana excursion...is that correct? I would not have thought West End was part of the deal.

It's all marketing, Bananarama is also part of West Bay beach.

It's all marketing, Bananarama is also part of West Bay beach.

West End Village is not part of West Bay Beach.

Bananarama is on West Bay, as are many other accommodation resorts offering day passes. Tabyana is also on West Bay Beach but it is ONLY day passes, no accommodation. And none of them are in the village of West End.

The question I have is...does the Tabyana Beach Break also offer a visit to West End Village, the wording in BrotherCraig's posts suggests it does.

No. They are separate places but you can take the short/cheap ferry over to West End Village from West Bay if you do Tabyana. Folks don't have to stay in Tabyana if they do the excursion. If you have a private driver, they are a very short drive from each other. Same area of the island on Roatan.

West End Village is not part of West Bay Beach.

Bananarama is on West Bay, as are many other accommodation resorts offering day passes. Tabyana is also on West Bay Beach but it is ONLY day passes, no accommodation. And none of them are in the village of West End.

The question I have is...does the Tabyana Beach Break also offer a visit to West End Village, the wording in BrotherCraig's posts suggests it does.

All depends on how you want to read it. West End Village is not part of the Tabyana Beach Break but folks can take the ferry over to West End Village if they like.

Edited by BrotherCraig

No. They are separate places but you can take the short/cheap ferry over to West End Village from West Bay if you do Tabyana. Folks don't have to stay in Tabyana if they do the excursion. If you have a private driver, they are a very short drive from each other. Same area of the island on Roatan.

Thanks, I was just confused by possible incorrect information and wished to confirm. As I understand it a visit to West End Village is not part of the excursion but can be sorted by water taxi on one's own. As far as I know the only way to do the Tabyana Beach Break is through the ship.

Indeed water taxi run back and forth from West End to West Bay often, though I don't think they go with less than three people..unless someone is willing to pay more... something to keep in mind with limited time.

Edited by Guest 2000

Thanks, I was just confused by possible incorrect information and wish to confirm. As far as I know the only way to do the Tabyana Beach Break is through the ship.

Indeed water taxi run back and forth from West End to West Bay often, though I don't think they go with less than three people.unless someone is willing to pay more... something to keep in mind with limited time.

Yes, only through the cruise lines you can do Tabyana.

Following this board and Interested in this excursion, too. Have been to Roatan before, but looking at this beach excursion this time. Very much looking forward to this! Thanks for all the info and will be looking for more good reviews!

• 1 month later...

Think I'm gonna cancel my $200 CCL excursion here for just a walk to this beach area instead...especially since we have NO beach activities scheduled the whole cruise (scuba and open water snorkeling from a boat). Yep, save $$ and get to a beach in the Caribbean!

Hi MikeNKim,

I just posted a pretty decent in depth review of the beach with some mapping too

and rental prices for things you can choose to pay for when you get off the ship.

You can find it here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2387062

scroll 1/2 way through the review past the ziplining review, and you can find it there. Hope this can help you in some way with your planning :)

Thank you, are there any beaches within walking distance?

Unfortunately, NO.

Take an excursion to West Bay Beaches or to Maya Key which is a small island just a short distance from the cruise port. But only accessible via cruise ship excursions.