Carnival Vista MDR - Only 1 entree?

I have been searching for information regarding cabins on the Vista and read a review on another site (not allowed to be named here unfortunately) and the review said Carnival is not allowing you to order more than 1 main dish per person in the MDR. We sometimes like order an extra dish of a different item so that we can share and each try a bite or two. Is this only while in Europe or is it a new policy for the fleet? Can anyone independently verify this information as accurate?

Best-

Steve

Not true. On elegant night, we also order more than one lobster dish and it was no different on the Vista.

A couple of times when we could not decide which entree to choose, our waitstaff offered to bring both. We did decline but it was offered.

Edited by mississauga

Maybe they meant the steakhouse, have not seen anyone say this and we just recently got off the conquest and I think my sister and my BIL both were trying to set a record on dishes ordered. And they did eat everything unless it was not very good to them.

I have been searching for information regarding cabins on the Vista and read a review on another site (not allowed to be named here unfortunately) and the review said Carnival is not allowing you to order more than 1 main dish per person in the MDR. We sometimes like order an extra dish of a different item so that we can share and each try a bite or two. Is this only while in Europe or is it a new policy for the fleet? Can anyone independently verify this information as accurate?

Best-

Steve

Order as much as you want.

JH did ask the question of whether or not your ordered more than 1 entree in the MDR. Somebody probably took that to mean you can't order more than one. That's just how rumors start.

JH did ask the question of whether or not your ordered more than 1 entree in the MDR. Somebody probably took that to mean you can't order more than one. That's just how rumors start.

I agree. I usually only order one entree, but I like knowing I can order two if I wish.

I could forsee this possibly happening with a small service charge for second entre. Who ever thought an upcharge for steak in DR?

I think it was started on ships that do not have a steakhouse.

Then it was added on other ships' menus so one could order without having to go to the steakhouse.

I think it was started on ships that do not have a steakhouse.

Then it was added on other ships' menus so one could order without having to go to the steakhouse.

An upcharge for an upgraded steak, vs the pseudo steak the mdr serves, can't see what's all that surprising about that.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by bar1068

I actually like the fact that I can order steakhouse selections in the MDR. I usually prefer the appetizers and desserts from the MDR and like the fact that if I want to ugrade my steak I can. Gives me the best of both worlds.

The review had nothing to do with the steakhouse, or any upcharge menu, they simply said they tried to older more than 1 entree in the MDR and were told they were not allowed to do so anymore.

I agree, there would be a revolt if that were the case. I would find it wildly offensive. I wonder if the case above was just a bad server?

Anyways, thank you Jimbob for reporting in that is not the case as you are on the ship now. Have you been eating in the MDR or Specialty, or some combination? Any further comments? By chance are you in the Havana area? I have another thread that has gained no traction on that. Do enjoy.

Best-

Steve

I could forsee this possibly happening with a small service charge for second entre. Who ever thought an upcharge for steak in DR?

You can still order a flatiron, or primer ib (on elegant night) without an upcharge.

Absolutely not true although the food is so bad I can't imagine wanting to order more than one entree.We just got off the Vista and everything was great except for the quality of the food in the MDR.The hamburgers were delish and I wish the hamburger place would be open past 6 PM. This is the opinion of my DH and I.Your opinion might vary. The Vista is a beautiful ship.

Edited by letsgo39

Absolutely not true although the food is so bad I can't imagine wanting to order more than one entree.We just got off the Vista and everything was great except for the quality of the food in the MDR.The hamburgers were delish and I wish the hamburger place would be open past 6 PM. This is the opinion of my DH and I.Your opinion might vary. The Vista is a beautiful ship.

Could you be more precise...when people say the quality of food wasn't good and then praise a hamburger I am curious as to what they got as opposed to what they were expecting.

The review had nothing to do with the steakhouse, or any upcharge menu, they simply said they tried to older more than 1 entree in the MDR and were told they were not allowed to do so anymore.

I agree, there would be a revolt if that were the case. I would find it wildly offensive. I wonder if the case above was just a bad server?

Anyways, thank you Jimbob for reporting in that is not the case as you are on the ship now. Have you been eating in the MDR or Specialty, or some combination? Any further comments? By chance are you in the Havana area? I have another thread that has gained no traction on that. Do enjoy.

Best-

Steve

I think this is a case of poor service.

On our first cruise, Paradise in 2000, our waiter introduced himself then told us we could order one appetizer, one salad, one entree, and one dessert. Knowing that this was not true, we ordered what we wanted. Service was so bad that on the third night of the cruise we asked to be switched to a different table. Our new server was amazing! He was personable, professional, funny as hell, and loved practical jokes. He played some on us, we played some on him. We were so glad we switched.

We've since sailed 18 more times, the most recent time being in May. Our grown kids ordered multiple appetizers, entrees, and desserts every night of the cruise.

Flatiron is good steak. I hope people keep forgetting that so it stays pretty cheap at my local butcher shop. :D

Flat iron CAN be a good steak, but in my experience, it is not in Carnival's MDR. Yes, what they serve is a steak, but it tends to be overcooked, tough, full of gristle, and tastes like the cheapest steak that Walmart carries. The last one I had, I only took one bite, and I regretted that one.

Now, the Indian vegetarian entree, on the other hand, is usually very, very good. I've actually had cruises where I had that almost every night I ate in the MDR, lol.