Looking for any advice

kcherie924

My husband seems to really like Scenic and they seem good. Was quoted from a travel agent for Avalon and it seems really costly. Any opinions?

I have cruised with both lines and Scenic scores higher on ALL counts than Avalon. Avalon is a middle of the road river cruise line and Scenic is upscale/luxury with far more inclusions. If they are even close in price, no contest IMO.

We found Avalon to be quite average and generic in all aspects of the river cruise experience, with the highlight being the size of the cabin (Panorama Suite). This is based on 12 river cruises across 4 lines since 2009.

Scenic's SunLounge cabin was lovely and we totally enjoyed our outside space, rather than just a large sliding glass door. Scenic had much better food, outstanding service (Avalon's service was functional but not at all memorable on any of our cruises with them), and was completely inclusive.

AMA is our personal preference overall and we also would happily cruise again with Uniworld or Scenic. We have not cruised with Avalon since discovering AMA and have never looked back.

Edited by caviargal

Hello kcherie,

Hi my husband and I are looking for a river cruise in October. We've been looking at 2 week cruises from Amsterdam to Budapest but open to others. The lines we seem to lean towards are Viking and Amawaterways. We are also interested in the couple of days extended in either port. Can anyone advise us on a cruise that would be a good fit for us? We're both 52 somewhat active don't drink and very much interested in history. Having never river cruised before we just don't know which to choose and need to decide soon before they are all sold out. Our budget would be for a French balcony type suite. Thanks so much any advice would truly be appreciated we are so confused.

You say you have looked at Amsterdam to Budapest, but are open to other options. For a longer tour in Europe an itinerary from Paris to Budapest springs to mind: http://www.avalonwaterways.com/river-cruise/jewels-of-central-europe-eastbound/wrb/?content=price#Price_anchor

Here you can see the fascinating history of Roman life in the oldest town in Germany that is Trier.

Another possibility is a trip with Vantage: http://www.vantagetravel.com/ourjourneys/deluxe-river-journeys/majestic-rivers-of-europe-castles-cathedrals-fairytales/2016/dates-prices#top Vantage leaves from Bonn, that cuts out a river stretch in the Netherlands and Germany that some have described as "somewhat flat und uninteresting" while others liked it. You can, of course, nevertheless fly into Amsterdam and stay there pre-cruise. It all depends on how much you want to DIY on your cruise.

Budapest is great as a post-extension, a wonderful city to explore.

For active cruisers before retirement age I - as a rule - recommend looking more at other river cruise companies than Viking as Viking itself state that they market to an "older North-American clientele". That is not to say that you will not have a great time with them. It is just that other lines actually use the word "active" in their marketing and provide bikes and fitness equipment onboard.

With the drinks, well, it is standard to include at least some alcoholic drinks in the price on the North-American market. European lines differ here a little still but I do not recall seeing an itinerary like the one you would like to do. Perhaps Riviera Travel UK is a possibility.

As regards history, most cruise lines are similar in their offers in ports, but some have extras like evening concerts. You need to look closely at the itineraries to compare. A few itineraries have an emphasis on history. Most ports will be the same on the cruise lines, but if you have the choice between a line stopping at Rüdesheim and a line stopping at Mainz instead, exactly for the history aspect I would go for Mainz to see the foundation for mass information: the printing presses in the Gutenberg Museum.

I hope you find what turns out to be a great first river cruise so that you will come back for more. :)

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid

Hi my husband and I are looking for a river cruise in October. We've been looking at 2 week cruises from Amsterdam to Budapest but open to others. The lines we seem to lean towards are Viking and Amawaterways. We are also interested in the couple of days extended in either port. Can anyone advise us on a cruise that would be a good fit for us? We're both 52 somewhat active don't drink and very much interested in history. Having never river cruised before we just don't know which to choose and need to decide soon before they are all sold out. Our budget would be for a French balcony type suite. Thanks so much any advice would truly be appreciated we are so confused.

In October low water levels might be something to consider. If so, AMA ships have the shallowest drafts and can navigate lower water levels.

If food is a consideration, AMA is also a leader in that category.

There will be plenty to do in both Amsterdam and Budapest on the extended days.

Enjoy yout trio!

Edited by dan4182

We like Avalon. They are easy to work with while booking and while onboard.

Went on a Nile Cruise and Machu Pichu with Avalon. In the latter case they were the tour operator for the entire time with local guides. The cruise director stayed with us the whole time.

Our Budapest to Prague cruise went off without a hitch. We only purchased on optional tour to Check Krumlov - I suggest it. We stayed 2 extra days in both pre and post hotels that Avalon uses.

We just returned from an Amsterdam to Basel cruise with the Rhine running higher that it has in decades. The first few days were fine then we were told the ship could only go upstream a little further and the Moselle which were supposed to cruise was too high to get under the bridges. Avalon elected to stay in Koblenz on the Mosselle for 4 nights while we were bused to our original Mosselle itinerary. We were given ample cash for lunches on the bus tour. Koblenz is very walk-able and many people went into the city to watch the Soccer matches with the locals. No problems. We did not miss a thing except being on the river. We left Koblenz in the morning rather than late afternoon as was planned to insure a good experience through the Rhine Gorge. From there we docked at another port to walk into the city. Then that was it on the river. Avalon put us up for 2 nights at The Radisson Blue in Zurich which was the closest place with enough rooms as passengers were stuck in Basel and other Rhine cities. Again bus tours and one add-on tour to Lucerne with lunch that turned out to be a perfect sunny day with a city tour and a trip to the top of Mt Pilatus. Great experience.

I guess I am saying Avalon went out of there way to make sure everyone was as happy as possible (read the terms of agreement for itinerary change).

There were 60 ships stuck up-river when we were on it. We felt that we had a wonderful experience even without the river behaving itself.

Food was very good and pleasantly presented even on the buffet. They have an early and late riser breakfast, lite lunch in the Panorama Lounge and wonderful bartenders who even learned to make a Manhattan they way my husband likes it.

We will go with Avalon again. Their loyalty perks are great.

We're both 52 somewhat active don't drink

Unless you drink only tap water at meals then an inclusive package may also make sense as inclusive drinks means soft drinks as well as alcohol.

On Viking Coca Cola and other such drinks are served in 33cl (i.e. small) bottles and you don't get free refills like in the USA, so costs can mount up.

Not on Viking, but when our kids were smaller we often found we ended up paying more for Coke for two kids in restaurants than a bottle of wine for the two adults.

What lines do not offer complimentary soft drinks or at least iced tea at lunch and dinner? It's easy enough to pick up the beverage of your choice in town.

In our experience, GCT's program directors provide valuable historical and cultural information throughout th cruise. Based on OP's stated preferences, I don't know that GCT is the overall best line for them. But for others interested in history, it's worth a look.

Unless you drink only tap water at meals then an inclusive package may also make sense as inclusive drinks means soft drinks as well as alcohol.

AMA includes bottled water in cabins and elsewhere at no charge. They are not all inclusive.

interesting option to ocean cruise rather than fly. what was the route?

a couple of times a year Cunard extends the west bound crossing and it goes Hamburg to Southampton to NYC ...a 9 day crossing, one day in SH. If interested note they sell the Hamburg to SH portion as a quick getaway and it is popular aka rooms sell out b4 the crossing. We booked only a couple of months out and got the full trip but had to change rooms for the 2 legs.

{also note that you add certain packing issues. River cruise is 'casual', Cunard is not .... Cunard casual means a jacket for men. Formal (and there are 3 on a crossing as I recall) is dark suit at a minimum, or stay out of most public areas and MDR}

Edited by Capt_BJ

On Viking Coca Cola and other such drinks are served in 33cl (i.e. small) bottles and you don't get free refills like in the USA, so costs can mount up.

Not on Viking, but when our kids were smaller we often found we ended up paying more for Coke for to kids in restaurants than a bottle of wine for the two adults.

Yes, the soda bottles are small, but I have never had a problem getting an additional Diet Coke at lunch or dinner.

And, as suggested in another post, I also purchase some in port to keep in our in-cabin fridge. That is my "morning coffee". ;)

Becki

What lines do not offer complimentary soft drinks or at least iced tea at lunch and dinner? It's easy enough to pick up the beverage of your choice in town.

I don't know, I've only been on inclusive Viking.

I think its worth checking for the OP. Also, if a line is non-inclusive, suggest checking their policy on bringing in your own drinks at meal times.

Really need a post from someone whose done non-inclusive

Well, the question has been asked - which lines DON'T include soda at a minimum? Even non-all-inclusive lines usually include wine & beer at dinner and possibly lunch. This question comes up every so often from those who don't drink who don't want to pay for the included alcohol.....

I don't know, I've only been on inclusive Viking.

I think its worth checking for the OP. Also, if a line is non-inclusive, suggest checking their policy on bringing in your own drinks at meal times.

Perhaps Viking is inclusive for UK bookings but it is not for North America.

We did purchase wine in port when we sailed with Avalon, as we did not care for their included wines. They charged a very fair corkage to drink it in the dining room, which we were happy to pay to drink what we prefer.

Perhaps Viking is inclusive for UK bookings but it is not for North America.

I think the issue on this thread started talking about "inclusive" describing drinks, not anything else like gratuities or more tours, so....Confusion!

Viking includes wine & beer & soft drinks with lunch & dinners on board.....

...We did purchase wine in port when we sailed with Avalon, as we did not care for their included wines. They charged a very fair corkage to drink it in the dining room, which we were happy to pay to drink what we prefer.

Interesting. If you drink their wine, it is included. If you opt to NOT drink their wine, you have to pay extra.

That was for Avalon. Anyone know if Viking charges a corkage if you bring your own? And, I also assume you bring and drink anything you want in the cabin.

Interesting. If you drink their wine, it is included. If you opt to NOT drink their wine, you have to pay extra.

That was for Avalon. Anyone know if Viking charges a corkage if you bring your own? And, I also assume you bring and drink anything you want in the cabin.

I have read that Viking do not charge corkage if you bring your own wine aboard.

Viking does not charge a corkage fee for wine brought onboard, and you are welcome to bring wine, beer, some or liquor onboard at ports. My husband enjoyed choosing some beers from a shop in Belgium and storing them in our cabin fridge to enjoy while preparing for dinner.

Becki

Viking does not charge a corkage fee for wine brought onboard, and you are welcome to bring wine, beer, some or liquor onboard at ports. My husband enjoyed choosing some beers from a shop in Belgium and storing them in our cabin fridge to enjoy while preparing for dinner.

Becki

We have not paid corkage on any line for in cabin consumption, only for bringing our personal wine/champagne to dining room.