MDR and Lido - how to avoid lines?

ravinblue

On our last cruise on Zaandam to Alaska, we found the crowds at the Lido at breakfast and lunch to be sometimes a bit much. Likewise, 5:30 at the MDR (anytime dining) sometimes had lines "out the door".

In late August, we are on the Koningsdam for 21 days - Norway and the Baltic. We have anytime dining again. We do like making it to the early show in the theater, though we can be flexible.

So, what are your recommendations for dining times to minimize lines in both the Lido and MDR?

Is there a difference between port days and days and seas?

Is there a difference depending on the mix of cruisers (e.g. age, Europeans vs Americans, etc.)? If so, what should we expect on this particular voyage?

Thanks.

I can't comment on MDR since we always do fixed seating. In the lido at breakfast I know that there is a a time which is busiest...probably 8-9am. going early or late would help with the crowds or order room service for breakfast. Also breakfast in the MDR is an option. Port days will see more people eating an early breakfast.

Cruises are supposed to be relaxing... I wondered about others thoughts about the long lines to when feeding time comes around.

Some strategies to make it more bearable....

• show up 45 minutes AFTER opening.... I find meals are served within 10 minutes and most have wolfed down there share in 30 minutes. 5 minutes for clean and ready for the next wave.
  • if you need to be in line... show up 45 minutes before opening. It feels more satisfying at the front where there is minimal line cutting compared to the middle. If you are a large group.... showing up early means you get to sit together. Being single or a couple.... it is easy for staff to fit you into larger groups.
  • specialty dining has shorter lines.
  • room service.... let the food come to you.

Edited by xlxo

All the above suggestions are good but also remember that you are on a new bigger ship so the set up may be different. The lines are longer on HAL because they serve you rather than self serve. You may not like thewwaiting at peak times. it's a reality on today's mass market cruises.

All the above suggestions are good but also remember that you are on a new bigger ship so the set up may be different. The lines are longer on HAL because they serve you rather than self serve. You may not like thewwaiting at peak times. it's a reality on today's mass market cruises.

For Breakfast or Lunch in the Lido, arriving late, around 25-30 minutes before closing, almost always results in no waits. The only exception for lunch would be shore excursion people arriving back from their tours around that time. Personally, I prefer a 2:30-3:30 P. M. lunch. Disadvantage: the main serving lines are closed, but there have always been plenty of food items from which to choose. At, least in the past.

Even Fixed Seating MDR has lines: they start to form several minutes prior to the door opening times. For me, I will stay at the Bar and enjoy my pre-dinner libation leisurely and walk into the MDR 5-10 minutes after the doors open. In the interest of courtesy, I try to inform my tablemates and Stewards that this is my SOP.

For the lido:

Arrive early or late and you never have to wait.

Agree! For the Lido at lunch I usually go after 1 p.m. The lines seem to have died down by then. If there's a line at the main station I want, I go sit somewhere for a few minutes and check back. I also do the dive-in a day or two and the taco station at least once.

I don't have a good recollection about breakfast. It seemed to me that there were almost always slow moving lines at the omelet station, so I just didn't go there. I preferred the eggs benedict station myself. Then there was that one unfortunate time where the omelet and eggs benedict stations were combined. I didn't care for that. I don't recall bad lines at other locations during breakfast.

When I was on anytime dining I had no trouble getting a table for two just for myself at 8 p.m. There weren't any lines at that time of night. Can you go to the early show then go to the MDR afterwards? Have a snack mid-afternoon to hold you over if needed.

Thanks for the useful suggestions (except the one about showing up 45 minutes before the MDR opens - I'd rather get a beeper and wait in the bar!).

One would think making dinner reservations would help, but we found that if you called less than 2 days ahead, they were all gone. If we wanted to plan that far ahead, we should choose fixed seating.

Oh well, I still manage to eat (and gain weight), so it's all good (but could be better).

On sea days, when the Lido seems most crowded, I go up for the last half hour of breakfast and order a yummy "lunch" omelet. At that point, most other pax have moved on to other activities. By the time I have gathered my accoutrements, ordered a Bloody Mary, and my omelet is ready, it is indeed time for a relaxing, relatively quiet brunch.