Classes, activities on a transatlantic?

jasbo49

We have a couple of transatlantic cruises booked over the next year, and I'm hoping someone can give us a feel for what Princess will offer in the way of enrichment, classes and port lectures.

We have the Regal from Copenhagen to NYC this September and the Royal from FLL to Barcelona in April. I'll probably join the Pop Choir, so that will be one thing to do on those long sea days, but I'm hoping there will be more to do than the usual bingo, trivia, etc., especially with seven straight sea days on the Royal in April.

So I'd be pleased to hear from anyone who's done a transatlantic with Princess. Thanks in advance.

Jim

We have done a number of TAs... generally you will find the same kind of activities that you find on any cruise. You might consider what you like to do on sea days on other cruises, you should find similar activities.

We are not big joiners in to group activities, so for us enjoying quiet days at sea is just perfect. We get into a routine, sleep in, have breakfast in the cabin. Walk the main deck or go to the gym. Check out sales, take in a movie, check out a dance class, explore the ship.

On our recent TA from USA to Europe there were two guest lecturers who gave lectures every sea day. You will no doubt have different lecturers, but on our trip one gave lectures on the history of the automobile and the other lectured on science topics, most having to do with the earth (volcanos, shifting continents, etc.).

There was also a port lecturer (now called a port expert) who gave lectures about each port the ship would stop at.

Bring good books. There is a lot of competition for activities, especially if it is too cool to sit at the outdoor pool. Hopefully they will hold the enrichment lectures in the theater and you will have good lecturers.

There is also the Roll Call for your cruise. We will be with you in April on the Royal. It is early, so the Roll Call is not as active yet. There are a number of private tours and there will be a M&G early in the cruise. There will probably be other activities planned as we move along. So come and join us.

Thanks, everyone.

I'm glad to hear there are lectures on these. I've enjoyed those on our cruises to Alaska and the Panama Canal, but on those there were obvious things to talk about. So it's interesting that they still offer some kind of talks. And it sounds like they have port talks beyond the dreadful "shopping talks"?

Paul. Thanks for the invite. I'd joined the roll call just before I posted this question. We look forward to meeting everyone.

Jim

There are also ArtsyCrafty activities which are usually great for some laughs with newly made friends. I always go to these and usually see the same group of fellow passengers at each one. Just fun!

The only bone of contention is these are often scheduled at the same or at overlapping times with lectures and I enjoy both. When that happens, I will leave one early and arrive at the other a bit late just to attend both.

On the Emerald's TA last fall, there were two speakers.

One covered the art of the Impressionists, and another covered financial matters.

Both were very entertaining, with great visuals on the big screen in the Princess Theater.

Fantastic!

Edited by Cruisin'Rabbit

Thanks, everyone.

I'm glad to hear there are lectures on these. I've enjoyed those on our cruises to Alaska and the Panama Canal, but on those there were obvious things to talk about. So it's interesting that they still offer some kind of talks. And it sounds like they have port talks beyond the dreadful "shopping talks"?

Paul. Thanks for the invite. I'd joined the roll call just before I posted this question. We look forward to meeting everyone.

Jim

Hi Jim,

We are going to be on both cruises as well. We love the days at sea and there is always something to do or of course you can just watch life pass bye (till the next meal)

Regards, Lynda & Marty, London, UK

We have found that what you receive in terms of daily activities also depends a great deal on individual cruise directors and possibly whether or not they have lecturers available. We have been on some cruises with lots of sea days where very few activities are available besides trivia, games, poolside contests, and promotional lectures....Then we have been on others where we have enjoyed attending interesting lectures, sometimes even more than one each sea day, as well as an abundance of included exercise, line dancing, and group get togethers (like for veterans.) So it seems to be the luck of the draw.....Since we also can be happy with a relaxing do-nothing sea day from time to time, we're generally happy cruisers either way.

Hi Jim,

We are also thinking of booking the transatlantic cruise in September to New York. We are a bit undecided and I was wondering if anyone had mentioned the weather between Cork and NYC? Our previous cruises have been on Royal Caribbean, this will be our first Princess cruise. We are looking for something a bit different from our usual cruises but I'm not sure if this might be too different. Any insight into transatlantic weather in September much appreciated 😀

On our Emerald transatlantic last fall we participated in trying for several of the sea days which culminated in a flash mob in the Piazza. Even my husband, not normally a joiner of activities, had a ball.