How to make the best of it.

sadiecat

We are booked on the Ecstasy in September and now my DH is convinced this is going to be a total bust. We booked this cruise because it was the only one (checked NCL also) five day cruise that would work with his work schedule. Any suggestions on how I can try to convince him that it will be all right and we will have a good time?

Well, when I go on a cruise (or any vacation actually) my focus is spending time with my family and experiencing new things with them. Where we are is only a backdrop to that and it would take an awful lot going wrong in order to impinge on our enjoyment. So tell him that you will be together and no matter what happens you'll be able to enjoy yourselves in spite of any glitches.

We are booked on the Ecstasy in September and now my DH is convinced this is going to be a total bust. We booked this cruise because it was the only one (checked NCL also) five day cruise that would work with his work schedule. Any suggestions on how I can try to convince him that it will be all right and we will have a good time?

Offer to leave him home and ask a friend or relative to join you on his dime. I would never drag along a reluctant cruiser...spouse or not. If he goes with his current attitude you will spend your whole vacation placating him...I can't figure that would be much fun.

I'd bet he'll find that the "Ecstasy" is a GREAT little ship, with excellent service, outstanding food, superior entertainment, and shows, and comics who are second to none. Not only all of that, but he'll be cruising with his favorite person in the whole world, YOU!

As noted, go aboard with a positive attitude, and I have no doubt that you'll have a fantastic cruise. ;)

"SKY"

Edited by SkyMaster

I'd bet he'll find that the "Ecstasy" is a GREAT little ship, with excellent service, outstanding food, superior entertainment, and shows, and comics who are second to none. Not only all of that, but he'll be cruising with his favorite person in the whole world, YOU!

As noted, go aboard with a positive attitude, and I have no doubt that you'll have a fantastic cruise. ;)

"SKY"

like and promise him lots of sex.

What specifically does he think the issue(s) are that will cause this to be a "bust"? While I have never been on the Ecstasy, I have sailed on other Fantasy class ships, and I really think they get an undeserved bad rap. Service has been top notch, food is good, ship well maintained and clean. My hubby loves the water, but not water activities (I know I know, he's weird), so I try to find an activity or excursion that will be "his thing", even though it may not be my first choice. I always have fun exploring those things he likes too, it's my compromise. Maybe try to find something like that for him, something to look forward to. I'm sure if he gives it a shot, he will enjoy. Use my line "A bad day on a cruise is better than any day at work!) Good luck.

Hopefully what Fyree39 posted will be all you need, sadly it sounds like it's not going to happen. I'd cancel. Find a trip you both agree on. In the future book a cruise with a friend or family member or go solo. Good luck.

Why did you book - just cancel and let him sit at home that week.

What is he concerned about? What is it that makes him think this will be a "bust?" Is it because of the mobility issues or just what he has heard others say about the Ecstasy? Both of those can easily be overcome.

All three of my previous cruises have been on Fantasy class ships, so I don't have anything to compare them to; however, they were very easy for DH with mobility issues to navigate and had everything that we wanted in a cruise, including fantastic service and great ports.

Honestly, if he can't overcome this, he is not going to have fun no matter what you do. I can't think of anything worse than being on a cruise with my husband who is convinced that he is going to be miserable, because he will make ME miserable.

Edited by Schoifmom

If it's a "carnival bashing thing", here's a review that may help ease his concern. It's really long but very well written and quite entertaining. I deal with friends and co-workers who are Carnival bashers...funny they've never sailed carnival. Don't let others tell him he won't like it.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2346342&highlight=so+shoot+me

What specifically does he think the issue(s) are that will cause this to be a "bust"? While I have never been on the Ecstasy, I have sailed on other Fantasy class ships, and I really think they get an undeserved bad rap. Service has been top notch, food is good, ship well maintained and clean. My hubby loves the water, but not water activities (I know I know, he's weird), so I try to find an activity or excursion that will be "his thing", even though it may not be my first choice. I always have fun exploring those things he likes too, it's my compromise. Maybe try to find something like that for him, something to look forward to. I'm sure if he gives it a shot, he will enjoy. Use my line "A bad day on a cruise is better than any day at work!) Good luck.

This is what I want to hear. I knew there had to be some good things out there about this class of ship. Thank you.

I take it that the OP's DH is passive-aggressively bashing Carnival for some reason or another.

I don't quite get any brand bashing, mass market cruise ships are glorified Greyhound buses with a buffet line. Anyone who thinks differently has bought the advertising hook, line and sinker.

That all said, unless the ship sinks how can anyone not have a good time on a ship from any line? There are plenty of activities from sun up 'til sun down (and later). Yes some sailings will bed down sooner than later based on its length and demographic makeup, but we know that heading into the cruise.

If OP's DH is really set on having a bad time he should stay home and let the OP take anyone else.

I take it that the OP's DH is passive-aggressively bashing Carnival for some reason or another.

I don't quite get any brand bashing, mass market cruise ships are glorified Greyhound buses with a buffet line. Anyone who thinks differently has bought the advertising hook, line and sinker.

That all said, unless the ship sinks how can anyone not have a good time on a ship from any line? There are plenty of activities from sun up 'til sun down (and later). Yes some sailings will bed down sooner than later based on its length and demographic makeup, but we know that heading into the cruise.

If OP's DH is really set on having a bad time he should stay home and let the OP take anyone else.

He's not Carnival bashing. He just has some real concerns about the size of the ship and all the negative things we've read about the Ecstasy and that's what he's basing his feelings on.

He's not Carnival bashing. He just has some real concerns about the size of the ship and all the negative things we've read about the Ecstasy and that's what he's basing his feelings on.

My very first Carnival cruise was on the Ecstasy. And that was about a year after their major fire on board, in the laundry facilities, off the coast of Miami. Nice ship and a memorable one since it was the first Carnival cruise. A cruise is what you make of it. Me, I am a very laid back person and leave the worldly problems back on shore and just enjoy. Have a great cruise.

Well, instead of reading negative things, try reading positive things, or is this one of those CC deals where no amount of positive out weighs the negative?

Well, instead of reading negative things, try reading positive things, or is this one of those CC deals where no amount of positive out weighs the negative?

There have been some very positive things said here and I'm going to share them with him.

Negative things are only a problem to a few. If something isn't perfect to what they think it should be, then it's a negative even though it's not. Some say it's old, but so are many of us cruisers. If one looks for a flaw, they can find one. I've been on her 3 times and loved her. The pace is slower because it's not full of bells and whistles, instead gives time to slow things down and relax more.

We really liked the Ecstacy. I can tell you that on the Breeze this last winter, my daughter commented that her favorite cruise ship was the Ecstacy. It is small, but has all the things you need and the service was fantastic. Now, this girl has been on DCL, Royal...a small older ship as well as Allure...and as I said, the Breeze. We r really enjoyed the Ecstacy and didn't have a single complaint.