Recent trip on Navigator May-June 2016

Gcto

I had planned on writing a longer review, but life happens and time is short. I will try, however, to put the main things into a quick review to highlight the new ship and recent experience.

Overall, this recent trip on the Navigator was in the top third of our Regent cruises. We had great company and that of course added to it, but the ship worked for us and we had a great time.

After refurb, the Navigator looks great and the cabins are updated and looking great. One can argue about the various “improvements” and agree with them or not (see previous pics I posted), and in general some work and other are not. We had ample space in the closet and even with the smaller drawer space, we didn’t feel we needed more for this 10 days cruise. Now for a world cruise, I’m not so sure. The bathrooms hadn’t been updated and some of the grout and other silicon borders could use an update, but overall, it was the tried and true Navigator Bathroom with tub and shower. We didn’t experience any brown water or anything similar.

Common areas were all nicely done and new carpets helped. The Navigator bar, while haven’t changed in layout, seemed more cozy to us. Computer room on the other side seemed smaller, probably because some area was now used for a coffee/tea, sweets station. Bridge room/meeting room was still there, but didn’t ever see anyone in there. Library was nice and quiet (see prev pics).

Pool layout hadn’t changed, but the new chairs were nice. Rest was pretty much the same.

Compass Rose Dining was newly refurbished, new china and new funky lighting. You get used to the blue-ish color, but I’m not sure it’s the final. My guess is they will work with this and see what people like. One night it was already pink-ish, so maybe more color choices are coming (how about natural light :) ).

Veranda, Sette Mari as before in setup and space. The lower ceiling in this area makes it sometimes quite noisy, especially in the evenings when you want a nice dinner.

Prime 7 also hasn’t changed much, same layout and location.

As we all know, many things make for a good cruise and this time, many of those all came together. Great staff, great service, wonderful weather, great company and great food.

While the majority of the Regent passengers usually come from the US, this trip had a slightly different mix. 285 passengers from the British Isles (England, Wales, Scotland), 180 or so from the US, and the rest from a variety of European and South American countries (usually less than 10 each per country). It seems US citizens were a bit afraid to go to the med and Regent increased their advertising in Europe quite a bit). I don’t have the exact split on how many were from England vs. Scotland vs. Wales, but I would guess it was about the same. I made the mistake once to ask someone from where in England he was from and got rebuffed (brusquely I might add) that he was from Scotland and thus not English. I learned my lesson :D.

Staff and Service were absolutely fantastic. Contrary to the usual staffing contingent, Regent was experimenting with a larger mix and it worked out great. All seemed to work well together, had fun, were smiling and provided great service. It also is nice to meet people (staff) from previous cruises and picking up the relationship again. Our waitress at CR and the Sommelier are an example. Great people and fun to be around with. Same for Head waiters and others. Some staff was very new and was still learning some of the ropes. They were great though and quick to pick things up. All in all, complements to the management on the ship to find a good mix of experienced and new crew. And if a new staff person had problems, an experienced staff quickly stepped in and helped. And most passengers were easy going and taking things with patience, like the Scottish lady who ordered Whiskey and Water, only to get something she didn’t think she ordered. Well, after “explaining” it to the waiter on what she wanted and getting it, she still didn’t get what “she ordered”, but was ok with it. I mentioned to her:” From what I understood you ordering, I would have brought you the same”. We both had a good chuckle about our “language difference” and continued having a great time. And yes, it was sometimes hard for new staff to pick up the nuances. Was it Ice Coffee or was it Ice(d) Coffee ? Two different drinks in many countries. ETC.

Food: We found the food to be excellent and some of the new items were outstanding. There was a little unevenness in the salt sometimes, but overall not a big deal. Wine selection were great in general, but after talking with our sommelier we quickly found wines we liked best and they were waiting for us each evening at dinner. Together with our company, we enjoyed the dinners and the time it took. Portions were not too large, but if you have 5 courses, small is good. And as we know, if you want a second appetizer or the appetizer as main course, it’s all possible. Overall, probably the best CR dinning we had for many years.

While Prime 7 was good, the portion sizes are almost too large. But again, this is imho.

Sette Mari was as before. Some people like it more than CR, others prefer CR. Choices are great. Some guests tried to eat in Prime 7 each night, others could care less. I all worked out.

Entertainment on the ship was generally better than in the past. The new shows, even though we didn’t go to all of them seemed to be working well, no more Cirque de Navigator . We enjoyed the piano bar in the evening. Ross did an outstanding job working the “crowd” and having a great mix for his “international guests” :)

What could be improved ? Well, as usual, excursions are one thing, but mostly it’s communication before or during excursions. All passengers get their tickets and meeting times beforehand, yet not everybody seems to pay attention. Some people like to be at the theatre early, way early, confusing the staff, others come late, creating issues, but that’s a minor issue. IMHO, the main problem happens when things are delayed or a kink in the plan, usually when the ship is tendering. Keep the passengers informed about what happening. Let them know that for example, the ships tenders are not permitted by the harbor authorities and local tenders need to come, that the ship needs to move closer to a new location because of this or that and thus, changes have to be made, that there has been a delay here or there, a bus not there in time, etc. Instead, it’s either silence or some silly excuse, all causing the inmates to become restless. Also during excursions at places where there are lesser options (like two tours only) and the busses have to be staggered, passengers could be better informed why things are delayed or why one sits in a café longer than necessary :rolleyes:. Like with so many things in life, good communication is key.

Overall though, those “issues” are small and not worth it to ruin your trip. Same with excursions overall. Some on this trip were outstanding, others so-so.

Again, great trip and I’m looking forward to the next.

Thank you for taking the time to write that up. It's refreshing to read such a positive post, especially since we're sailing her out of Barcelona next week!

I was concerned about the drawer space, thanks for letting us know it's not that bad. And I'm also looking forward to seeing the lighting in CR in person; from the pics I've seen so far, I wasn't a huge fan.

Can't wait to get back on board - it's been about 5-6 years since we've sailed on Navigator...

Thanks Franz & Beth for an outstanding & thorough Navigator review.

btw...thanks to you taking EmegenC daily--appreciate the tip (one cold in the last two years)

Wes, glad it works for you. We usually take it in the winter time or when traveling, especially when going in and out of air conditioning and being in larger groups. Or when we feel something coming on...

On Regent, in the evening, we usually have a Merlot-amyacin :-)