Buffet for Dinner?

I like the MDR because I can get steak every night and shrimp cocktails as well as WMC. We're steak eaters. However I do hate the fact that it takes F O R E V E R in there. We like to go in, get our food, eat and get out at any restaurant. An hour is more than enough time in any restaurant for my family of 4 and it took hours in the MDR for us. Kinda a catch-22 for my family.

When I cruise solo, I prefer the buffet since the MDR takes too long to be sitting by myself. The food is always good -- except they never have the cold soups which are my favorites.

My only complaint is that in my experience they only have about half the buffet open during dinner, which makes for long lines. If they do that to discourage people from going back for seconds, it usually works with me! :p

Edited by Dave0311

We don't go on vacation to stand in line and eat mediocre buffet food. We also do not eat at Golden Corral or any buffets at home. We like to sit down and be served. We have never had dinner in the buffet with 12 + cruises

This at least gave me a good laugh, its the same food, the same head chef runs the Lido and MD, I find it so funny that people think they are doing fine dinning in the Dinning room, its all mass produced food using the same preparation methods, the only place close to having food fired as its ordered is the Steak House.

After a long day in port I will hit the Lido or do room service, but most days I will go and enjoy the company of new people in the dinning room

We do not prefer the mdr because we equate it with fine dinning (or fine dining for that matter). We prefer to be waited on an enjoy the social aspect of sitting at a table with the same people each night. I do not enjoy carrying a plate or tray from place to place scooping food out of a warming tray.

When we started cruising in 2006 the MDR was wonderful. They had two/three main servers assigned to a manageable amount of tables and they quickly learned your beverage and condiment preferences. When you arrived at your table your iced tea was waiting and they kept it filled throughout the meal. The last 5 years they are down to 2 servers with a large amount of tables. Beverage glasses sit empty unless you can catch the server as they hurry by. We usually go to the buffet now so we can sit in a quiet area and if we need refills on beverages, butter etc. we can quickly get it ourselves. As of wanting to be waited on that is what my super sweet husband is for and he treats me like a queen!