Dress Code Advice - Formal/Informal

templandgirl

I am booked on a Holland America Med cruise. Can anyone advise me what is expected on Formal dress nights, and informal dress. eg, is a tuxedo req'd or will a dark suit be ok for men? Is a jacket required on informal nights?

HAL hasn't had informal nights in many years, and recently changed its formal nights. Holland America now has smart casual most very night, and at least a couple of Gala nights per cruise.

The minimal dress code on every night is smart casual, which for men is a collared shirt and slacks. A jacket, with or without tie is appropriate on Gala nights, and a tux or dinner jacket may certainly be worn.

Ladies may dress up more on Gala nights, including wearing long gowns or cocktail dress.

On our most recent 21 day repositioning cruise most men just wore the same style of clothing on Gala nights that they wore on smart casual nights -- which was slacks and collared shirts. Very few men wore jackets, ties or suits.

DH wore either a suit or a jacket with tie on Gala nights.

That's a bit harsh, don't you think, LoveHAL? Perhaps you missed the fact that the OP is a brand new CC member.

OP, welcome to the board. This information can be found on the HAL website in the FAQ section:

Q: Did HAL change their dress code?

A: Yes, some refinements were made to improve consistency and the policy now reads:

Most evenings smart casual attire is appropriate. Shorts, pool/beachwear, distressed jeans and men’s tank tops are best left to the daytime and are not permitted in fine dining restaurants.

Gala Nights evoke the grand traditions of cruising as guests dress to impress for special events on board, including our five-course gourmet dinner in the Dining Room. For gentlemen, collared shirts and slacks are required in all fine dining restaurants.

Q: Why the change from “Formal” To “Gala” night?

A: To many, the “Formal” term was misleading as it implies a specific type of dress (black tie or tuxedo) that has never been a requirement. “Gala” still implies festive or dressy without misleading guests to bring attire the majority of guests don’t wear.

Q: What about ladies’ gala attire?

A: Dressy attire is appropriate. Dresses, skirts, and slacks are all acceptable.

Q: Are a jacket and tie required for men?

A: Jacket and tie is the preferred attire in all fine dining restaurants on Gala Nights, though it is not required. Guests without a jacket and tie were allowed in the fine dining restaurants before the new wording so this is not a policy change.

Q: Are jeans allowed?

A: Jeans without holes, tears or embroidery are welcome on most evenings in all restaurants, but on Gala Nights jeans are only allowed in the casual dining restaurants.

Q: Can I wear shorts in the main dining room?

A: Not at dinner. The dining room is considered a fine dining restaurant and shorts are not permitted.

Q: Is the dress code the same on Grand Voyages?

A: Yes. The policy applies to all Holland America Line voyages.

Edited by Fouremco

On our most recent 21 day repositioning cruise most men just wore the same style of clothing on Gala nights that they wore on smart casual nights -- which was slacks and collared shirts. Very few men wore jackets, ties or suits.

DH wore either a suit or a jacket with tie on Gala nights.

It's interesting how variable dress can be on Gala nights. On our most recent cruise (last winter), most men I saw in the MDR wore jackets or suits for Gala nights. I'd guess more than half of those wore ties, too. Women's dress was more variable, and many seemed to have made less effort than their husbands did.

I think we saw two couples in gowns and tuxes.

DH wears a suit and I wear either a cocktail dress or a long skirt and beaded top.

Edited by 3rdGenCunarder