Legend review-- 6/28-7/5

billys5764

My wife and I flew to Seattle on Wednesday, June 22. That was 6 days before the cruise.

IMG_1571_zpsc1xdcxtd.jpg

Selfie on the airplane. We indulged and flew first class. It's a long way from North Carolina to Seattle. We left NC at 6:20 am and had a layover in Minneapolis. Even though it was early morning, it was 5:00 somewhere, so I had a screwdriver (orange juice is good for you!).

We got to fly over beautiful mountains before landing in Seattle.

IMG_0448_zps6iswnj7m.jpg">

This is Mt. St. Helens?

When we arrived we rented a car and headed south to Oregon. We went first to the End of the Oregon Trail Museum (we visited the Beginning of the Oregon Trail Museum in Independence last year -- we had to have closure.) After that we ate dinner at Salty's on the Columbia. I highly recommend this to everyone. The food was great and the view was wonderful.

IMG_1573_zps3j6cplhv.jpg

View from Salty's on the Columbia, Portland.

We spent Wednesday night in Portland and left the next morning. We drove in the rain through the mountains until we reached the high desert and the Warm Springs Indian Reservation. We toured the museum there. It was very nice and quite informative. We spent Thursday night in Bend, Oregon.

Friday morning we drove west through the Cascades. It is such beautiful country. We drove through Corvallis and stopped at Oregon State University to get t-shirts from OSU. We always like to get shirts from Universities we see.

We spent Friday night and Saturday night at The Inn at Otter Crest on the coast. It is a resort area north of Newport. Here is the view from our balcony.

IMG_1628_zpsoep1jwv0.jpg">

">IMG_0520_zpslkmgzx96.jpg

The Inn at Otter Crest on the left. What a view!

IMG_0500_zpsvkdionfg.jpg">

Sunset at Otter Crest.

Moving on!!!!

We drove back to Seattle on Sunday, June 26. We checked in at the Clarion Hotel at the airport. The hotel was fine even there was no free breakfast. It is just a 3 minute walk to the Light Rail station at the airport. We took the train to downtown. We walked a couple of blocks to Pike Place. My wife had to visit the Mother Church of Starbucks. She stood in line for at least 45 minutes while I walked around.

IMG_0525_zpseuvonkap.jpg

It was almost closing time so many of the shops were closing. The fish market where they throw the fish was also closing so we didn't get to see that. (We did come back after the cruise to see it.) We bought a couple of pastries for the next morning at Piroshky Piroshky Bakery. It was a chocolate hazelnut that they make themselves. Nutella is better, but it was still pretty good.

We took the train back to the Clarion. A word about the train: We bought 2 roundtrip tickets. We never had to present them to anyone or insert them into a turnstile. We could have easily rode the train for free. I'm not advocating it, but if you so desire...

We had dinner at a restaurant close to the hotel called 13 Coins. It was recommended by the desk clerk at the hotel. They also gave us a $10 off coupon! The food was very good and the menu was quite varied. Italian is their specialty, but they also serve breakfast. It is open 24/7. I got chicken parmegiana which was very good but different. Instead of a tomato sauce it was a white sauce. My wife got a salad with grilled scallops. She said the scallops were fantastic.

On Monday, we drove to Bellevue. Our friends from Tallahassee who travel with us has family there. We went to meet her sister and had lunch and ended up staying for dinner. It was a great day.

We drove back to the hotel and around 11pm went to the airport to return our rental car. Our son and daughter (20 and 24) were flying in to join us. We met them at the airport and took the hotel shuttle back to the shuttle.

CRUISE DAY!!!!!!

We awoke early on Tuesday to repack and get ready to go to the port. We had to buy breakfast at the hotel (over $40 and not that great). I had arranged transportation to the pier through Seattle Town Car. I bit the bullet and paid for a stretch limo. It was a surprise for the kids.

IMG_1636_zpsg8vphhmk.jpg

There certainly were cheaper options, but I didn't want to have to be on a bus that stopped at several hotels. I wanted to get to the port!

The limo picked us up at 10am. The driver avoided the interstate because of an accident. We saw some interesting parts of town.

We were at the port by 10:45.

IMG_0559_zpsneybifuo.jpg

People were still leaving from the previous cruise. We deposited our bags and went through security. There were NO lines. We proceeded to the check in counter. Again, NO lines. Check in was a breeze. We were zone 2. They were letting FTTF and the other VIP people on when we got to the waiting area. We sat down and then in less than a minute our zone was called. We were on the ship by 11:30.

We wandered the ship for a bit and then took a chance to see if our room was ready. We were in 1191. Bottom deck with a window. The kids were in 1193, an interior room. Our room was ready so we put our carry ons down and went exploring some more. Around 12:30 our friends, Jeff and Linda, were on board so we had lunch on the Lido Deck. I'll talk more about the food later.

Our checked bags were outside our door before muster. We unpacked and then went to muster. Muster is outside at the lifeboats. It wasn't too bad since this was Seattle and not Miami!

As soon as muster was over, we went up to the Serenity Deck for the sail away. We had our first libations of the cruise up there!

IMG_1670_zps16n7jnkd.jpg

The views were spectacular!

IMG_1682_zpsbqlxacnc.jpg

Mt. Ranier

Even with the naked eye, Mt. Ranier looked like it was Photoshopped into the scene. It was absolutely beautiful.

IMG_1680_zpsx2o5crxe.jpg

Downtown Seattle

We had early seating for dinner (not my choice) so we went to our cabins to get ready for dinner.

CRUISE DAY!!!!!!

We awoke early on Tuesday to repack and get ready to go to the port. We had to buy breakfast at the hotel (over $40 and not that great). I had arranged transportation to the pier through Seattle Town Car. I bit the bullet and paid for a stretch limo. It was a surprise for the kids.

IMG_1636_zpsg8vphhmk.jpg

There certainly were cheaper options, but I didn't want to have to be on a bus that stopped at several hotels. I wanted to get to the port!

The limo picked us up at 10am. The driver avoided the interstate because of an accident. We saw some interesting parts of town.

IMG_0559_zpsneybifuo.jpg

People were still leaving from the previous cruise. We deposited our bags and went through security. There were NO lines. We proceeded to the check in counter. Again, NO lines. Check in was a breeze. We were zone 2. They were letting FTTF and the other VIP people on when we got to the waiting area. We sat down and then in less than a minute our zone was called. We were on the ship by 11:30.

We wandered the ship for a bit and then took a chance to see if our room was ready. We were in 1191. Bottom deck with a window. The kids were in 1193, an interior room. Our room was ready so we put our carry ons down and went exploring some more. Around 12:30 our friends, Jeff and Linda, were on board so we had lunch on the Lido Deck. I'll talk more about the food later.

Our checked bags were outside our door before muster. We unpacked and then went to muster. Muster is outside at the lifeboats. It wasn't too bad since this was Seattle and not Miami!

As soon as muster was over, we went up to the Serenity Deck for the sail away. We had our first libations of the cruise up there!

IMG_1670_zps16n7jnkd.jpg

IMG_1682_zpsbqlxacnc.jpg

Mt. Ranier

Even with the naked eye, Mt. Ranier looked like it was Photoshopped into the scene. It was absolutely beautiful.

IMG_1680_zpsx2o5crxe.jpg

Downtown Seattle

We had early seating for dinner (not my choice) so we went to our cabins to get ready for dinner.

Thank you! Your review is great. We are going next summer. :)

CRUISE DAY!!!!!!

IMG_1636_zpsg8vphhmk.jpg

IMG_0559_zpsneybifuo.jpg

IMG_1670_zps16n7jnkd.jpg

IMG_1682_zpsbqlxacnc.jpg

Mt. Ranier

IMG_1680_zpsx2o5crxe.jpg

Downtown Seattle

So excited to see review, had to jump n before finish reading it. We sail on her in two weeks. Had been considering a limo too - just got so confused gave up.

We are at an airport hotel right by rail station since don't get there until Mon dinner time and other part of family diwntown as arrive two days before us.

Would you be willing share limo cost? We have six people, so I assume a stretch fits everyone plus luggage.

Since haven't read full review, how did you get to airport after cruise, and how was experience at Seattle airport. Thanks- you are my newest Alaska Legend source and super Excited.

Charliebeth,

Formal nights were Wednesday and Sunday.

I read still have "old menus" does this include everyday offerings page, and ala Duarte $20 option from steakhouse? I am familiar with old menus, and use fellow cc member zydecocruiser webpage for his menu posts. So wondering how close they were for non American or "old menus."

Did you do Tracy Fjord tour?