Damaged bags? Princess damage luggage claims not so customer friendly?

Gnoelj

When we experienced a broken side handle on a brand new suitcase, we reported the problem to Princess and they attempted a repair during the cruise.

We generally use the wheels when transporting our cases so we could still use it despite the broken handle.. They were able to secure the handle, but when we got home,we took it back to the store that we purchased it from and they replaced the suitcase. We felt the manufacturer was responsible in this situation, not us or Princess.

DAMAGED BAGS? PRINCESS DAMAGE LUGGAGE CLAIMS NOT CUSTOMER FRIENDLY?

Has anyone experienced having your luggage damaged while being transferred onto/off a Princess ship, and having difficulty in making a baggage damage claim? Perhaps you can share your experience with me.

From my experience, reported property damage and getting it attended to or replaced was UNLIKE the relatively easy , standard procedure with flying with an airline and reporting property damage at an airport. Reporting damage bags with a cruise line, in my case with Princess Cruises, was a lot more difficult, and quite customer unfriendly.

This was what happened:

I was on the Regal Princess recently on one of their Baltic cruises. The day before the end of the cruise, I discovered that my suitcase had been damaged. One of the wheels had been nearly ripped off and part of the side of the suitcase was cracked. I know I should have been more aware of that when I first got on board the ship at the beginning of the cruise, but I guess I was so excited then that I just unpacked quickly and put the suitcase away in the separate luggage/clothes quarter. And as that area was usually dark, I did not notice it until the day before we got off when I had to take suitcase out to pack my clothes.

I went down to the reception but unfortunately, on the last days of the cruise, there was a long queue as passengers wanted to sort out their accounts. I waited around 30-40 mins. I was told I had to bring my suitcase down. So, I went to my cabin, brought it down and queued another 30-40 mins. I had to explain my problem again to another receptionist. He indicated it could possibly be the stevedore at the port who were rather heavy handed, but the repairman on board would try to fix it for me. I was to leave it with him and when it is ready, I would get a call.

A few hours later, I received a call from the repairman and he said he could not fix that, or that there was not sufficient time to fix it as we were leaving the next day. He advised us to take the suitcase back from the reception. Again another 30-40 mins queue.

This time, I was advised to fill in a “REPORT OF LOSS, DAMAGE, THEFT” form. However, that form had to be taken to the Customer Services Director to be signed and stamped. After filling in the form, I had to leave it with the receptionist, and was told to come down to collect it later.

When I came down later, it meant another 30-40 mins queue to collect the form!

After getting the form signed and stamped, I was informed that there was not much they could do on board for me. I had to “struggle” with the damage suitcase and prayed that it would not crack open on my return flight back to the UK from Copenhagen. I was informed upon returning home, I could contact Princess property claims in their office in the US.

Once back home, I called (international) to the Princess office in the United States. Unfortunately, it was a public holiday in the States, and there was no one in the property claims office. So I had to call again the following day.

When I called them again, the lady on the line in Princess Claims department, she told me that I had to go to a repairshop in my city and get a quote. It did not seem a problem to them that I had to travel and make my own way at my own expense to the repair shop.

And if the repair shop said that it could not be repaired, I think she indicated I had to get a note from them (!). I was a bit puzzled. If the repair shop could not fix something and therefore, they would not get the business, why would they be bothered to write a note to say they could not do it?

Anyway, assuming that I got that note they could not fix the suitcase, I was supposed to go online to search for a similar suit case and make a copy of the advert. with the price, and I was to email it to them .

They would then take a while before they would consider if they would reimburse me . I asked how werethey going to do so? She said they would send the money to my bank account. And for that, I think they said I have to fill in a “bank mandate” form or something. And I think they would have to send me yet another form to fill in.

All that for a claim for a “princely” sum of UK £53 (around USD $77).

In the end , I just GAVE UP!!!!

I got the feeling that Princess Cruises made it so onerous and difficult for customers to make the claim that they would eventually give up. For me, getting Princess to compensate for damage claim seemed to be like pulling hen's teeth.

If you have similar experience to share, it would at least “enlighten” me that I am not the only cruise passenger who had such an unpleasant experienced this with Princess Cruises.

I just wish that Princess Cruises will NOT make baggage damage claim so customer unfriendly, and instead do it like they do with airlines. (A friend of mine fly to Penang, Malaysia on a domestic flight. When he found his suitcase was damaged, he filled in a form, and the following day, the airline Firefly Malaysia, called him and brought over a replacement suitcase. Job done!)

We had a problem arriving in Miami to pick up the Coral for a Panama Canal cruise, when we got our bag to our hotel room the zip heads were missing along with the padlock, we could not undo the zip as we would not be able to close it again, it was 10pm and the hotel told us Walmart was open 24hrs. We bought a case from there and repacked our stuff and next morning asked the rep for a no to report it, I held on the the Freephone no for 20 mins and then left a message on an automated response. We transferred to the ship and went straight to the pursers desk and they were very helpful gave us a form to fill in and I had to send it to Carnival on our return to England. Princess replied to say we should have claimed on our travel ins but they would honour the cost if I sent the receipt. They refunded us for the case but not the new padlock within 3 weeks.

Oh, how I long for the day when you could own a good suitcase (Hartman, Tumi, etc...) for years and year- knowing that baggage handlers would treat your luggage with a bit of respect.

Yeah, I agree. I noticed that when they were collecting the bag on the last night they just sort of threw all the suit cases in one large pile, very loudly and with no care what so ever. (our room was right across from the area they were dropping all the bag off at, so aside from seeing the large, messy pile when we went back to our room we also heard them dumping bags on the floor roughly just outside of the door)

Sounds to me like Princess made the appropriate effort while you were still on board. It's very possible that with more time, they could have repaired it.

When I've had luggage damaged while embarking or disembarking a ship (different cruise lines), I've either sent the bag to the manufacturer who repaired it for free or submitted a claim to my insurance. Either way, I was made whole with a minimum of fuss.

Pam, I believe I have seen previous posts by you regarding your brand of luggage. You said the manufacturer was really good about repairs/replacement and that you were very happy with both the luggage and the company but I can't remember the brand you use. Was it Eagle Creek?

Pam, I believe I have seen previous posts by you regarding your brand of luggage. You said the manufacturer was really good about repairs/replacement and that you were very happy with both the luggage and the company but I can't remember the brand you use. Was it Eagle Creek?
Yes. I have Eagle Creek luggage. :)

In fact, the last time, not only did we receive the luggage back in the cabin, while we were out, but later that day received a nice note apologizing for the damage and a large plate of chocolates. :D

Not fair!!:(

Our suitcases went into the harbor during loading. Damaged the cases and everything in them was thoroughly soaked. All we got was free laundry that took 3 days. We didn't have any other clothes to wear for 3 days. Barely got an apology.

Insurance reimbursed us for the things that were ruined and that was all we got.

Not fair!!:(

Our suitcases went into the harbor during loading. Damaged the cases and everything in them was thoroughly soaked. All we got was free laundry that took 3 days. We didn't have any other clothes to wear for 3 days. Barely got an apology.

Insurance reimbursed us for the things that were ruined and that was all we got.

Not really fair. The Customer Relations Manager should have appeased you with some perks.

I had a bag damaged on our last Princess cruise. I too didn't notice it until I took it out from under the bed to pack up for departure, and shards of plastic started falling out.

I didn't peruse the matter since we were due for new luggage. Another reason why I will never buy expensive luggage. Luggage is just a container and has no real value other than to keep your clothing contained. The way the airlines and cruise lines stack and throw luggage is a wonder anyone ever gets their luggage undamaged.