Observations re dress code compliance - Summit 10/17-10/23

PatHobby

My post was genuine and honest. I was grateful to have read the comments before I booked the cruise. I foolishly thought that there would be "teen clubs" on every ship and that my daughter and her friend would be able to meet lots of people their age.

Huh???

This is a thread on formal attire on the Summit. Doesn't really have a lot to do with "teen clubs."

I do agree with the sentiments expressed by WeBeCruisin, and would also add that your statement:

"I'm new to this board and I wanted to thank all of you for your comments. You just saved me from making a big mistake."

which implies that what we say on a dress code thread is really the reason you are not booking a cruise.

Huh?

Excuse my skepticism :rolleyes:

Susan

Susan,

The following note posted on this very thread (by Sailor, I believe) is the reason I brought up the teen issue:

"I would never think of taking kids with us on a Celebrity cruise, so you can bet the next time we take a family vacation, it will be aboard another Voyager class ship. On the other hand, we will definitely cruise with Celebrity again - just the two of us!"

The people who have taken their children with them on Celebrity seem to be very pleased with them. I'm sure some of the other cruiselines are more particularly oriented to teens, but depending on the teen, they may like Celebrity a lot. If you are going to be on a very port intensive cruise in Europe I would think you would enjoy Celebrity a lot.

Hi:)

I was just on SUMMIT and one of my tablemates brought her son.

He is 9 years old and had the time of his life....he has already

cruised about 18 times....and he gave the kids program a BIG Thumbs UP.

He had dinner with the kids club every night and didn't want to eat with

us in the dining room.

I guess every family is different. I think there were about 100 kids

between 9-13 and from what I had heard, the majority of them

had a wonderful time.

Now back to your regular dress code topic..............

I said that the "me' date=' me, me" attitude evidenced by people who deliberately violate the dress code out of selfishness and rudeness was a symptom of The Dumbing of America.[/quote']

Allen,

America, nor the world, is getting dumber despite your personal experience and observation. As the world gets more complex it takes more intellectual skill to navigate it successfully with class and dignity. You mistake that consistent mediocrity as "dumbing" while, in reality, the world is seeking equilibrium. Unfortunately, that equilibrium, if ever achieved, would be a deadly boredom of sameness. Fortunately, there are the gifted that push the envelope towards real progress so that we will never die from american franchised homogeniety, so long as we embrace all differences and individuality. Now, you want to be a good citizen of the republic, don't you??

Therefore, let's all take this pledge...

"I will dress how I feel it is appropriate and consider the event to make whatever fashion statement I want. I will respect others' rights to have their own interpretation of what is appropriate while remembering that important judgements should be reserved for real substance rather than the packaging."

I think it's interesting to see how people are dressed and if it reflects anything about their personalities.

Still, however, a good suit beats a bad tux any day of the week!!! Heck, I thought Bjork's outfit at the academy awards a few years back was memorable.

I have been on 7different cruises...4 with celebrity...as observations have noted the longer the cruise the more tuxes you will see on the men. On the 7 day cruises its much more relaxed and dress code not taken as seriously.. I ve been on 4 cruises 10 days or longer and especially on celebrity(3 10+ day cruises) more tuxes are visible. Personally I wear one...but thats me. By the way Im only 35 and love cruising....

CameraGirl' date=' I think you ruffled some feathers when you said,

"I had no idea cruises were so formal and that the "regulars" sat in judgment of others".

That came across as somewhat condescending and I think some people were irked by the implication that they were a bunch of uptight snobs.

They are [i']not[/i] uptight snobs, and I think that some were reacting because of what they felt was that unfair characterization

I'm not sure how CameraGirl (or anyone else reading this thread) could ever get the idea that the regulars sit in judgement of others.

Can I wear a Tux with just a regular (brand new too) white shirt, or does it have to be a tuxedo shirt?

You sure can :)

Alot of people wear dark suits on formal night, so with a tux and regular shirt you will be more formally dressed than they will be. Formal nights on Celebrity are less restrictive than "black tie" weddings/fund raisers, etc.

Therein lies the problem. I don't understand how you don't know the difference between lunch & dinner atmosphere and I also don't understand why you don't believe that how you're dressed could make something special.

Aren't there even studies done on dress and how it affects students in schools and people at the work place???

When people are dressed more formally they carry themselves differently.

The atmosphere in a dining room will be totally different if it is full of tuxes vs. Dockers, and will change even more if it's a dining room full of denim. You don't have to be unnaturally observant to see this. It's as plain as day.

Why of course I know the difference between lunch and dinner, one is eaten at midday the other eaten after 6. The difference in how one is dressed has absolutely no effect on my appreciation of the taste of the food being consumed. As to the "atmosphere" of the dining room being different, that I will agree, when people are dressed comfortably, instead of suited and booted, is much more pleasant and quite a bit less pretentious. People are much more willing to be themselves which I find entirely more fascinating than if they are pretending to be something that they are not.

Cheers,

Peter

"simple and ordinary" Wow peter, you don" get out much, do you?:D

phil

I "get out" quite a bit actually, and I do find the act of eating to be one of the most simplest and ordinary, even if you do not. Just because you are doing it in a cruise ship dining room adds no more to the pleasure than any of the other reasons that one is in holiday.

Cheers,

Peter

I guess you just don't understand the concept of fine dining. Some don't. :cool:

I understand quite well the concept of fine dining, unfortunately the cuisine offered on a cruise ship is more accurately described as mass production, along the lines of a banquet, far from what anyone would call fine dining.

But hey if you want to think it is while you tuck into your rubber pre-frozen lobster tail while acting like an extra in a James Bond film, more power to you. :D

Cheers,

Peter

We had a fantastic table on SUMMIT....all 8 of us "dressed up" for

formal nights and we laughed and laughed:D I think (and so did our waiter)

we probably had one of the most fun tables in the entire dining room:)

I know none of us were pretending to be something other than ourselves.

A fun group:) looking extra special on those formal nights!

We closed down the dining room every night but the 2nd formal night.:D

They want everyone out asap.....so they can set up for the Grand Buffet.

Oh for any of you sailing SUMMIT soon...our waiter was Jackviston and Asst

Xavier...both from India. Absolutely 2 of the best!!!!

"People are much more willing to be themselves which I find entirely more fascinating than if they are pretending to be something that they are not."

That's it Lois! It seems very pretentious to me to think that someone feels that he is so superior that it's beneath him to honor a polite request to dress for dinner. If dining (eating) is just for survival, why not just have a can of dog food and save some money.;)

I understand quite well the concept of fine dining, unfortunately the cuisine offered on a cruise ship is more accurately described as mass production, along the lines of a banquet, far from what anyone would call fine dining.

But hey if you want to think it is while you tuck into your rubber pre-frozen lobster tail while acting like an extra in a James Bond film, more power to you. :D

Cheers,

Peter

Hey, I am not an extra, I am the star:cool:

Phil

Lois, I'm with you in being able to laugh and have just as great a time while all dressed up! I was still myself in every way, except that I looked MARVELOUS!:D Looking at your cruise pix, you looked MARVELOUS, too!

That's it Lois! It seems very pretentious to me to think that someone feels that he is so superior that it's beneath him to honor a polite request to dress for dinner. If dining (eating) is just for survival, why not just have a can of dog food and save some money.;)

I always love these types of comments.

Take a contrary opinion and suddenly you are thrust at with the most ludicrous analogies.

Eat for survival, why then just eat dog food!

Don't like dressing up, well then go camping!

Want to wear jeans, why not just go naked!

I guess for some if you take the opinion that playing "dress up" is ridiculous it implies that the person making the comment does not play the game as well. I don't think in any of my comments I stated that I do not follow the request. But I guess for some people not liking it, and wishing it would disappear forever equates to not following it.

I also see people being criticised for having a "ME ME ME" attitude, hmm, I thought it was my holiday and my life, perhaps I should be more concerned with "YOU YOU YOU" in perhaps the same way you are about others? Tell you what, you pay for my holidays and then I will worry more about you than I do of myself. Until that time though I think I will pretty much worry about myself.

The dress issue is one of those topics that forever fascinate me. That some people are so entrenched in their desire to make others dress as they themselves do simply boggles the mind. To also imply that somehow it is an affront to their own sensibilites is quite amusing to say the least. It reminds me of waiting at a red traffic light for hours, even though there is no traffic, just because it is red.

I really don't care what you, or anyone else for that matters, wear and if you happened to show up in the dining room wearing a speedo, a feathered boa and a bow tie on formal night it would not affect my meal in the slighest. I would also applaud your individualism.

Cheers,

Peter

Hi Usha, thanks for the compliment:)

I never thought of dressing up as "me, me, me":confused: I was thinking,

"It is Formal Night....and I LOVE to dress up on formal nights":D

Archived